putting aires on garmin satnav

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by june123, Aug 15, 2012.

1. june123

june123 Read Only Funster

I saw some advice earlier but now I can#t find it. Can anyone advise us how to copy from memory stick onto our Garmin satnav. We have a stick with all the French aires on it.

2. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Step 1
    Is the POI file of the aires in Garmin format? It needs to be either a .gpx file or a comma delimited .csv file. If it is not one of these (possibly a TomTom .ov2 format) you will need to convert it. We'll leave that issue to one side for the moment.

Step2
    Download the POI Loader software (free) from Garmin's website and install it on your computer. It is available for Mac and Windows.

Step 3
    Attach the Garmin to the computer using the USB cable and put it in standby mode (instructions on Garmin's website).

Step 4
    Launch POI Loader and it will find your Garmin. Download any POI files already on your Garmin to the computer. This is important as the subsequent upload will overwrite any POI files you already have stored. Put the files in a new folder created on your computer.

Step 5
    Copy the new aires POI file into the same folder you created in step 4, alongside those you previously downloaded to save. You can put the aires file in a subfolder if you wish and they will appear on the Garmin under that folder's title.

Step 6
    Relaunch POI Loader and choose the upload option from the drop-down box. All your saved POI files will be uploaded to the Garmin.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Viennese

Viennese Funster

4. june123

aires on satnav

Thank you so very much JeanLuc. We'll try that this evening. Not sure what the info on the stick is. Daughter bought it online. Will have to have a look. But thank you again. Will let you know how we get on. We have just successfully updated our Garmin. Hope they can't get too full of info and crash?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  5. june123

aires on Garmin

Thank you Vienniese. Looks a bit frightening. If it doesn't work will it mess up our Garmin????

6. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

Hi Jean. I don't think anything will mess up your Garmin but I'm in a complete pickle with mine. Philip has given such clear instructions but I get lost around the 'uploading' bit. There is nothing on my Garmin POI loader thinging which has a dropdown box which says 'upload'. I know that Philip is a real clever clogs so it must be me but .......................! Not to worry, where there is a will there's a way. :BigGrin:

Ivy

7. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

If you go to www.Garmin.com you can download a manual for your device.
    There is also excellent phone support on 0808 238 0000 they will talk you through anything you want to do.
    Mike

8. june123

putting aires on Garmin

Hello Ivy. It's June by the way - not Jean. So much help given I don't know where to start. People are very kind. Will try something in the morning when I'm feeling fresher. Let me know (anyone) who has tried and succeeded! Was life easier when you just had a map and a tongue in your head - a schoolgirl French tongue???

• Like Like x 1
  9. BobProperty

BobProperty Read Only Funster

My guess would be Camping Car Infos as in http://campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm
    Your Garmin will just say not enough space to copy file if there's too much data and not enough storage space on the Garmin.

Loujess - IIRC Garmin uploader in Express mode doesn't actually say "upload" within its steps, I think it just says next, next....etc. then says copied. Or something like that, haven't done it for ages.

10. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Camping Car Infos is, in my opinion, the best source of Aires POI files. There is room on the Garmin for the entire set - I have them loaded on mine and it's an old 250W Garmin Nüvi model.

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm

11. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

Have to agree with you there :BigGrin: I had them on my Mio and it was set to alert me of any Aire within 1km. The one thing I regret about changing to Garmin is the inability to set alerts for POI's-you have to scroll through list until you find one that you want. Support at Garmin say it's not a feature people want !!

Mike.

12. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

That takes me back more years than I care to think of :Rofl1:

13. ojibway

ojibway Funster

Hi JeanLuc,

I've just bought a Garmin 2699 and I want to add the Campingcar-infor aires poi's.
    You mention that they need to be either.gpx or .cvs

CC-i don't specify for TomTom or Garmin (unless it's the two icons ASCII and TOMTOM) and I cannot see what format the downloaded poi's are in other than ov2.
    Can you help me please?
    Mike