Puncture - supplied tool kit... tut! (1 Viewer)

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Just parked up and about to ramp off-side .... luckily on tarmac..

Noticed front wheel was "flatter" on bottom than it should be.... :unsure:

Mmm!.. my first puncture.... I thought.. no probs I can do that!.. (y)

So I decide to get the jack under before it goes totally flat...

Had to flick through german handbook looking for a picture of jack points... success.. :)

Next job - remove underslung spare...

Looked for more pics... success...

Then it became apparent that the supplied "tool" for removing spare would not fit in orrifice... as there is "extra" chassis in the way!!.. Oh Please!! (n)(n)

So I then searched my paperwork for camper assist - so now they're sorting it .... hopefully within the next hr!.. :whistle: ;)

Edit: Update.... RAC couldn't get spare off either!!.. He tried with a 10 mm allen key (too big) then next size down - until I pointed out that the Fiat tool only had 5 sides and not 6.. (anti theft I guess)... o_O

So plan B ensued... he's done a temp plug after removing a screw... with a recommedation of getting a new tyre because of location near edge...

I now need to find a tyre company tomorrow... who'll have a matching tyre ... Vanco Camper...

No doubt it'll be "top dollar" for one tyre.. :mad:

And then bend someones ear about the spare being about as much use as a spare "do-dar" at a wedding!!! :mad:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Just parked up and about to ramp off-side .... luckily on tarmac..

Noticed front wheel was "flatter" on bottom than it should be.... :unsure:

Mmm!.. my first puncture.... I thought.. no probs I can do that!.. (y)

So I decide to get the jack under before it goes totally flat...

Had to flick through german handbook looking for a picture of jack points... success.. :)

Next job - remove underslung spare...

Looked for more pics... success...

Then it became apparent that the supplied "tool" for removing spare would not fit in orrifice... as there is "extra" chassis in the way!!.. Oh Please!! (n)(n)

So I then searched my paperwork for camper assist - so now they're sorting it .... hopefully within the next hr!.. :whistle: ;)

Edit: Update.... RAC couldn't get spare off either!!.. He tried with a 10 mm allen key (too big) then next size down - until I pointed out that the Fiat tool only had 5 sides and not 6.. (anti theft I guess)... o_O

So plan B ensued... he's done a temp plug after removing a screw... with a recommedation of getting a new tyre because of location near edge...

I now need to find a tyre company tomorrow... who'll have a matching tyre ... Vanco Camper...

No doubt it'll be "top dollar" for one tyre.. :mad:

And then bend someones ear about the spare being about as much use as a spare "do-dar" at a wedding!!! :mad:
Apart from that, good day?? :)

OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Sat here this morn and thought i'd give you an Update:....

Spoke to Dealer and sent pics etc...
Their solution was to have existing tool re-fabricated - as Knaus don't supply anything customised!.. obviously an oversight with a chassis that arrives with spare fitted; as opposed to positioning the mechanism if retro fitted at convertors.

This was offered FOC and they would post modded tool to me...

Anyway .... I told dealer not to bother in that case... as my bro is a fabricator and rather faffing with them and postage... i'd get it done myself as it's only a 15min job for bro...

This pic shows the added Chassis sitting in front of the winding mech.. preventing "tool insertion"..

image1.JPG

Here is before and after shortening.
image1.JPG

It now sits just beyond the leaf spring so I can get a spanner to it.

Spare was also tie-wrapped to chassis... which RAC bloke obviously didn't see either... or PDI inspection for that matter!!..

Have managed to wind spare down and back up... but needs to be jacked up tad really - in order to remove wheel from the "danglie" holder without a faff!..

So at least I should be able to get sorted at tyre fitters when I get around to it....

BTW... I'm still running on tyre with plug in it .. and it seems to be holding out ok!.. :whistle: so tempted to just leave it alone until I require two new front (y)

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Glad it wasn't on a dark motorway, puddling down with rain!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
I do believe that the 5 sided tool was used on the modified version of the spare wheel carrier after a Fiat recall due to the original carriers working loose, presumably in order to tell the difference easily but could have been an anti theft measure as you said earlier.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
personally I would of cut off a bit more so a standard socket and ratchet could be used easily rather than a spanner....much easier to operate

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back