Puncture seal. Is it still used by MH people? (1 Viewer)

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
We had a similar product put in the tyres of our last MH and am wondering if it is still popular, we don't know whether to have it put in our tyres in our new MH as it does not have a spare, just a kit.
Any views appreciated.
Etap

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I'll be putting my last few bottles into our tyres when I get new ones fitted soon. It has been great in the past.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
This mh person stuck it in his lawn tractor tyres.

Multiple thorn punctures meant inflating the tyres a couple of times each lawn cut (we have over half an acre of meadow)

Now been fully inflated for almost a year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
etap

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Hi Mattyjwr,
I found the name "puncture seal" somewhere, is it the one you use and presumably fit yourself ?
Etap

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I almost bought the franchise to supply the product it really does work , at the demo the guy drove a tyre over a plank studded with heavy nails , I saw the tyre punctured multiple times and it did not deflate , it also prolongs the life of the tyre , but it is important that the correct amount is added

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Son in law , got his own tyre fitting firm, doesn't bother mending lawn mower tyres or farm implement tyres anymore , just bungs some of that in and jobs a good un, but won't use it on road tyres.

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
I carry the cans in all my vehicles....seems to ward off the punctures. Some shows we go to still have the people selling the stuff to have fitted in your tyres, and have a motorcycle tyre, cos they hardly have any tread, and dozens of four inch nails hammered into it, and you are invited to put another nail in if you want. It seems to cost about £40 for four tyres.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A bloke at our local sunday market was selling one of the brands...cant remember brand.

He had a car tyre on a spindle and a bradawl.

He would spin the tyre slowly while stabbing it with the spike.
a little orange fluid would leak out then solidify.

From memory he charged around £20 per wheel, installed, if you were in the car needing doing.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hi Mattyjwr,
I found the name "puncture seal" somewhere, is it the one you use and presumably fit yourself ?
Etap
I've checked and I have Puncturesafe which I can add myself. I used to get punctures every 9 months or so due to the roads that I used to drive on but Puncturesafe stopped that. Also it helped with a slit in my tyre that would have caused serious issues had the gunk not slowed down the rate of deflation.

Broken Link Removed

Sep 5, 2013
Dordogne, france
Funster No
MH
Rapido 696FF
Exp
since 2013
Hi,
I have a franchise and can supply and fit locally or I can send DIY kits out a special rates to members.
I have it in all 6 wheels of our M/H.
Our Smart car has it fitted and my motorcycles have it too.

Check the website for more information www.puncturesafewiltshire.com

Thanks
Jim

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I put it in our cycle tyres and lawn tractor but not RV or car.

Sep 5, 2013
Dordogne, france
Funster No
MH
Rapido 696FF
Exp
since 2013
It can be put in tyres of any size, and pressure, from golf buggy's to JCB's and Quarry equipment.

I run our M/H tyres at 70psi when towing the Smart car on the trailer, and fully laden @ nearly 4 tonnes.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Had some in a car, and picked up a nail.... advised to get it repaired properly and went to two tyre repair depot`s.

Both refused to repair it.. (Quoted = too messy:RollEyes:)

Ended up buying another wheel from a scrap yard and a new tyre.. :(

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I rather take the risk of not being able to get a tyre repaired than greater risk of a puncture - especially as our mh tyres are not light and I don't like scrabbling around in the rain / dirt / dark etc trying to swap it over.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have had it in my MH tyres since I bought it, as there is no spare and wouldn't be without it. Whenever I have had any work done on the tyres (they are not still the originals) I have warned the tyre fitters and they had no problems as long as they were forewarned. To save time some push the tyre off the rim before it has fully deflated, and if not pre-warned they could pebble dash the workshop and themselves.
I also used it on a small trailer I used for going to the tip, as it was only used infrequently the tyres were always flat when I came to use it. I put in the puncturesafe and the tyres stayed up for years. I wouldn't be without it.

sinner

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 765
Exp
since 2011
Hi,
I have a franchise and can supply and fit locally or I can send DIY kits out a special rates to members.
I have it in all 6 wheels of our M/H.
Our Smart car has it fitted and my motorcycles have it too.

Check the website for more information www.puncturesafewiltshire.com

Thanks
Jim

What's the special rate Jim?

happypre65

Free Member
Nov 12, 2010
Funster No
Hi,As already posted my breakdown truck,bmw,motorhome,smart car and trailer,motorcycle trailer and motorcycles, garden tractor ,mercedes 4x4 all have been done,its the safe way to travel,is around £100 better than ending up in hospital and a write off,is your life worth more,regards H.:unsure:

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Fou years and no punctures. Does it work? Dunno, but I had great peace of mind thumping around Morocco's "roads" and desert tracks and I don't have a spare fitted. I paid £25 a wheel and would do so again.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I had this in my previous MH, having had it fitted at one of the outdoor shows. Have now got Tyre Pal valves and the instructions say NOT to use on tyres injected with the sealant, hence I haven't. I would however not hesitate to have it again if not using Tyre Pal.

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
We allways used this sort of stuff on farm machinery and mowers but not on the cars/4x4 etc. worked a treat.
A couple of questions:
Does it affect the balance of the wheel?
Do you have to get them re balanced once the gunk is in?
I was allways told that you should have wheels balanced at regular intervals as the weight changes, was I being told porkies just so I visited the garage more often.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I remember from the super seal franchise that I looked at , the slimy stuff does not effect wheel ballance .its made up of gazillions of tiny particles of old tyre rubber and suspended in a slimy goo , I remember watching a video where they hammer a 1 inch bolt into a tractor tyre and then they pulled it out and the stuff instantly plugged the hole .

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Had some in a car, and picked up a nail.... advised to get it repaired properly and went to two tyre repair depot`s.

Both refused to repair it.. (Quoted = too messy:RollEyes:)

Ended up buying another wheel from a scrap yard and a new tyre.. :(

We use and sell a similar product however the one we do is water based so very easy and clean to sort out under a tap. Some of them end up solidifying inside the tyre and then you can get all sorts of issues from balance problems upwards

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We allways used this sort of stuff on farm machinery and mowers but not on the cars/4x4 etc. worked a treat.
A couple of questions:
Does it affect the balance of the wheel?
Do you have to get them re balanced once the gunk is in?
I was allways told that you should have wheels balanced at regular intervals as the weight changes, was I being told porkies just so I visited the garage more often.

Always balance before fitting the tyre seal, The fluid will be spread under centrifugal force around the tyre as it rotates so then there is no balance issues

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
I personally would,nt use it on any road going vechicle ,just my personal opinion.i would not like to mask over any damage or hole in my tyres.i like to know what my tyres are doing its the only thing between me and the tarmac.motorhomes travel at 50-70mph and i for one would not want to be reliant on a thick liquid sloshing around sealing up a hole.ok as john has said for ride on mowers,tractors etc.but for me,a road going vechicle no thanks.
Brian & Jo

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Just wondering, does it count as a modification to the vehicle and as such you have to notify the insurance company or they may not pay out in the event of an accident?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I personally would,nt use it on any road going vechicle ,just my personal opinion.i would not like to mask over any damage or hole in my tyres.i like to know what my tyres are doing its the only thing between me and the tarmac.motorhomes travel at 50-70mph and i for one would not want to be reliant on a thick liquid sloshing around sealing up a hole.ok as john has said for ride on mowers,tractors etc.but for me,a road going vechicle no thanks.
Brian & Jo

Entirely your choice but I didn't have any problems with it and, as mentioned above, I had good experiences and would rather have this stopping punctures than be sitting on the side of the motorway etc. with a puncture. It seals holes and if the hole is too big to seal, it reduces the speed of air loss - which helped us when we were on a motorway and drivers pointed to our rear tyre indicating a problem - we pulled over to see a 1 inch gash in the tyre - there was enough air trapped to get us off the mway and onto a quiet road to change the tyre.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back