Pump prices

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jaws, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Well you have got to laugh really !!

And of course, the govt is not mugging us with 80%+ tax's on fuel !! LOL !!!

At least Mr Turpin had the decency to wear a mask !!

2. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

3. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

They blame it upon the weak £ - $ exchange rate but I don't recall it being lowered when the £ was strong.....

The British are too tolerant and just sit back and accept.....

Still no blockades/protests from the haulage companies that are bearing the brunt of the fuel increases...

Yes....It'll get passed onto the consumer...:Doh:hardhat £1.20/LITRE Forecast in the next week or so.....

4. Rainbowchaser

Rainbowchaser Read Only Funster

motion-lotion prices

The peasants are revolting !

(Well, Dreckly anyway....)

:BigGrin:

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

As regards tax, it has to be raised from somewhere. If not on fuel it will have to be raised elsewhere. The question for all of us remains the same, therefore, "what would you prefer to pay your tax on?". Some might take the view that their share of taxation is unjust. An ideal opportunity for exploring how different politicians would react to that will shortly be upon us.

As regards the increase in prices by the oil companies (no doubt to be followed by increases in profits and in bonuses for senior executives) the question then is the extent to which markets should be free or regulated (nanny state anyone?). That question can also, of course, be explored in the run up to the election.

However, I bet very few people will actually bother to ask those questions of the various candidates in their area.

Graham

6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Another thing which struck me about this story is the fact that the AA is headlining petrol with the line that the price will overtake the previous high of 119.7p of July 2008. They have completely ignored the fact that diesel is now running at only about 1.5p per litre more than petrol, as opposed to the 12.5p differential of July 2008, which means the diesel price is likely to be nowhere near overtaking the July 2008 price.

Seems that spin (and not just wheel spin) is alive and well :BigGrin:

Graham

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Very true Graham, it's an easy tax to collect and difficult to evade, it is however a very blunt instrument hitting the poorest and least able to pay the hardest ..

Do you think the greedy bankers and city wide boys with their multi million pound bonuses give a fig about a few more pence on fuel .. :Angry:

8. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Its already £1.20 in some Rural Wales service stations:RollEyes: that must be very near £5.50 a gallon:Eeek:

9. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

Apart from the fuel, i have also heard rumblings over the last couple of months that VAT is going to take a hike to 20%.

I reckon the 'people' wont start to mutter untill it reaches the 1.28/1.30 that it reached last summer basically because its been there before and like it or not they got used to it and they know it went down again, but im betting there will be no such fall in prices this time when it reaches the 1.30 mark

10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

True Jim - as is income tax as currently levied - but (and I admit I don't know the figures) I would have thought that increased taxing of banker bonuses would not raise enough to make a significant decrease in fuel tax possible, especially when factoring in the costs of making the change.

Graham

11. Rainbowchaser

Rainbowchaser Read Only Funster

fuel

[FONT=&quot]A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. [/FONT]

12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Free market competition again Jim? We used to go on holiday to Kirkcudbright in Galloway in the 1980s when there was a Shell fuel depot by the river there. Fuel prices were higher there than elsewhere in the area. Why? Only one fuel garage so lack of competition.

Graham

13. Rapiscan

Rapiscan Read Only Funster

Beating fuel increases using.....cooking oil?

Hi all,seeing as we are about to be mugged once more re:fuel prices...whats the pros and cons on using cooking oil for diesel engined vehicles?A mate of mine buys used cooking oil from a local chippy very cheaply...he then puts it thru a fine filter to remove impurities and mixes it in his fuel tank 50% with normal diesel..in his landrover,so far he reports no probs apart from a bit of exhaust whiff...and a £££ saving!:Rofl1:..so does it damage the engine,is it legal?even buying unused cooking oil in catering size barrels is cheaper than diesel......any thoughts anyone? thanks,:thumb:

14. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

The answer is not to increase taxes but to deacrease the amount given away in Foreign aid whilst trying to appear as a world power. The Country should get real and start looking after our own. Cut the size of gov departments and the civil service. Save cash all round instead of squandering it. MP should live in dormatories in Parliment rather than us paying for extra houses for them.

well said that man.

the cost of new oil is more than that of diesel, buying in bulk only marginally cheaper. Using old chip oil works but has drawbacks. Namely deisel bug. Unless great care is taken and biocide added in the filter stages you WILL end up with an accumulation of bacteria in your tank that blocks filters and turns fuel to a sludge. Older engines run fine on the stuff but not turbo's. I do happen to have a couple of filtration units for sale if interested.
    I found the savings marginal and in the end not worth the hassle.

15. californiadreamer

californiadreamer Read Only Funster

wastrels

...AND - on this morning's news there was an article about the Advertising Standards Authority banning a Government advertisement for climate change. Apparently the use of the expression 'WILL HAPPEN' is not actually true!....with regard to climate change...

The advertisement cost £6 million.... what a total waste of our money!

16. dave jm

dave jm Read Only Funster

17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Two more subjects to bring up with candidates over the next few weeks? Might be worth finding out what the overseas aid budget is to see how much tax revenue could be saved.

Yes. As I posted on a thread last year there will be some nice flats in the Stratford area of London available late in 2012. An ideal place for MPs to stay.

Graham

18. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Do you wanna know how I dealt with the hike ?
    I looked at all my most popular lines and added 4p to them.
    Now that sounds pathetic but it will cover my increased fuel costs..

The point of this post ?

If I am doing it, so will an awful lot of other retailers !!!!

19. chftech

chftech Read Only Funster

Re Fuel Prices of 119.9p, I'd like to know what the price is around the North of Scotland area just now?

20. ArenqueRojo

ArenqueRojo Read Only Funster

Now that should really attract the cream of the peolple to apply for the job?
    Mmmm...:Doh:

Now that is a new one!!!
    Can you culture it? Good fuel to be had from bacteria and algae...:Eeek:
    What actually can cause problems is glycerine unless the fuel line system is kept hot enough. Most successful longterm veg oil users have a second tank for the veg oil so they can clean the system out by running on heavy oil (diesel) at start and end of a journey to stop the glycerine build up.

Patrick