Pump noise (1 Viewer)

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
On a pressurised water system should the pump just come on and keep running when the tap is opened or like mine seems to pulse on and off making a lot of racket.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi,

If your pump works every so often it will be because you have an accumalator reservoir in the system which overcomes the pump pulses and gives a steady flow.

As to noise, remount the pump so the mounting board does not act as a drum.

Peter

SwiftGroup

Free Member
Jan 10, 2008
Funster No
Hi Dane,

As Peter says, it could be "normal", because of the accumulator on your Shure-Flo pump, unless the water flow from the taps is also pulsing, in which case, the pressure switch on the pump and / or accumulator may need adjusting.

Ash

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
On a pressurised water system should the pump just come on and keep running when the tap is opened or like mine seems to pulse on and off making a lot of racket.

Hi Dane..

I'm sure this has been covered before.

You just need to mount the pump on a rubber mounted or "Foam Sandwich" which isolates the pump from the floor.:thumb: and use flexible couplings to the RV piping system.

If the pump can supply the water faster than it can be drained it will pulse on/off as the pressure switch actuates..

Regards Steve.

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
i think waht the OP is asking is if the pump should be pulsing on and off when a tap isnt opened fully (or in the case of some taps, opened fully but have a restrictive strainer in them)

if so then yes that is normal, if it turns on and off fast with a small tap opening, then fitting an accumilator tank will help, this acts as a resovoir so allows the pump to turn off and on a lot more slowly, thus minimising the racket and wear on the pump.

even better you could get one of the variable flow pumps like i have, but thay aint cheap, but they adjust the motor's speed to vary the flow rate according to how much you open a tap, they can only go so slow, so a really small tap opening will still cause them to turn on and off, but it's nothing like a single speed pump with no acumilator hammering away,

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
i think waht the OP is asking is if the pump should be pulsing on and off when a tap isnt opened fully (or in the case of some taps, opened fully but have a restrictive strainer in them)

if so then yes that is normal, if it turns on and off fast with a small tap opening, then fitting an accumilator tank will help, this acts as a resovoir so allows the pump to turn off and on a lot more slowly, thus minimising the racket and wear on the pump.

even better you could get one of the variable flow pumps like i have, but thay aint cheap, but they adjust the motor's speed to vary the flow rate according to how much you open a tap, they can only go so slow, so a really small tap opening will still cause them to turn on and off, but it's nothing like a single speed pump with no acumilator hammering away,
That's how I read it too.:thumb:

mulaz

Free Member
Apr 14, 2009
Durham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
3 years
If its a shurflo then it maybe one of the pumps that have pressure switch built in to the pump. some have an adjustable screw on the very end of the pump body adjusting this can overcome the pump pulsing.
It's easy to identify as the + (positive red) lead feeds in and out of the pump end through a micro switch while the negative black wire just feeds straight into the motor end.
Hope this helps

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Sounds like pressure switch adjustment as mulaz say's

Tends to happen more in systems that don't have an accumulator tank, as they act like a kind of buffer between pump pressure and demand.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Hi Dane,

As Peter says, it could be "normal", because of the accumulator on your Shure-Flo pump, unless the water flow from the taps is also pulsing, in which case, the pressure switch on the pump and / or accumulator may need adjusting.

Ash
Hi Ash,

That is the point I was trying to make, It does pulse at the tap, when trying to fill a glass of water from the Nature Pure filter if you don't get it right the water spurts out and splashes and because it's pulsing it sounds like someone is trying to kick their way out of the wardrobe where the pump is. It has always been this way from new but I assumed that was the way it should be.

Thanks for all the help guys I will see if it can be adjusted:thumb:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I cured a lot of 'pump noise' by using gaffer tape to stick down the water hoses nearest the pump. They were picking up the pulses from the pump and flapping against the floor of the wardrobe.

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
spend the 20 quid for an accumilator tank, your pump will thank you for it by living longer, and you'll thank it for being much much smoother,

the ammount of pulsing you 'adjust' with the pressure switch will change as the battery voltage fluctuates, on charge it'll most likely hammer worse than ever, when nearly flat it'll be likely to stay running when you close the tap,

it's bloomin stupid the pump makers dont sell the accumilator tank with the pumps, as they all recomend them to save wear on the motor,

tho some pumps now come with an accumilator tank attatched, but having it seperate means you can position it where you have room.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
we have a fiamma aqua 8 pump and a fiamma A20 expansion tank pressurised to slightly less than the pump outlet. cant remember the pressure off hand but i think around 18psi

if the tap is opened a small amount (trickle) the pump doesnt start until the pressure in the vessel has dropped below the pressure switch level then it will run long enough to recharge the expansion vessel (4or5 seconds)then stop again until the pressure drops again (4 or 5 seconds) then re-cycles.

open the tap fully and the pump runs continuously as the pump pressure cannot build up to the pressure switch threashold.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
we have a fiamma aqua 8 pump and a fiamma A20 expansion tank pressurised to slightly less than the pump outlet. cant remember the pressure off hand but i think around 18psi

if the tap is opened a small amount (trickle) the pump doesnt start until the pressure in the vessel has dropped below the pressure switch level then it will run long enough to recharge the expansion vessel (4or5 seconds)then stop again until the pressure drops again (4 or 5 seconds) then re-cycles.

open the tap fully and the pump runs continuously as the pump pressure cannot build up to the pressure switch threashold.

I have a similiar system on the boat BUT the expansion tank is a lot larger than the Fiamma one.

Peter

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Hi Dane,

Ash

Ash,

If adjusting the pump does not sort the problem do you know what accumalator I will need for my 2007 Bessacarr E435 or should it have had one from new? If so where is it ?coz I can't see it.

SwiftGroup

Free Member
Jan 10, 2008
Funster No
Hi Dane,

Without you VIN, I can't check, but I believe the answer is that the Shure-flo would not have been factory fitted with an accumulator in 2007, but some dealers did fit them for customers. If present, it would be fitted to the high pressure (output side) of the pump, between the pump and the "T" to the boiler.

In reality, you do not need an accumulator (with a separate pressure adjustment valve) as a simple surge damper (a vessel to store the pressure) would suffice.

We do fit a surge damper to newer vehicles with the Flo-Jet pump, and this is available through your Swift Dealer under the following part numbers:

1088201 - Surge Damper
1088202 - Mounting Bracket
1010411 - T Piece adaptor

Again, fitment would be on the high pressure side of the pump, and in a vertical position. It should take only a few minutes to fit.

I hope that helps.

Ash

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
My Hobby has the taps fitted with microswitches to turn the pump on, but there is also a pressure switch on the pump to switch the pump off when the pressure reaches the setpoint.

The pump puts out a fairly constant number of litres per minute - say 10 L/m so if you have the tap turned on so as to let more than 10L/m flow, then the pump will run continuously and there will be no pulsing of water flow. However if you draw off say 5 L/m then the pump will start and stop - sometimes at a very rapid rate thus causing pressure shocks to the piping and the sparking of the switch will also cause premature failure.

I fitted the simplest possible cure - for a few euros, a one litre plastic bottle with a lid having a 1/2" tee piece moulded into it. Just cut the hose on the supply side of the pump and insert the chamber making sure the chamber is up to retain the air. The only disadvantage with this simple chamber is that eventually the trapped air will be absorbed by the water and the air volume will gradually reduce to the point where the pump will once again start to switch on and off rapidly. easily fixed by unscrewing the bottle out of the tee and draining the water. Since this absorbtion process will take more than a year, the normal winterize drain process will refill the chamber with air anyway.

As others have advised, much of the noise of a pulsating pump is caused by the hoses or the pump rattling against the structure

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Well I have adjusted it up and down and it still pulses, worse when on mains as someone pointed out. So as I have two problems the noise and the pulsing I will get an accumulator to try and reduce the pulsing and mount the pump with some sound deadening material to insulate it from the wallboard.

Once again thanks for all the advice:thumb:

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Does anyone know the difference between the Shur-flo accumulator and the Whale Surge Damper. Apart from the cost

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Fit a Fiamma cost £20 less your funster discount:thumb:

The expansion tank eliminates the pulsating operation of the pressure switches and assists the flow of constant water at the required quantity.
It will assist in lowering the water consumption and will extend the life of both the pump and the water boiler (pre charged at 0.9 bar - 13.05 PSI)
Weight;0.3kg.
Size;23.5cm x 15cm x 10 cm
Features; For use with SF126 Pro pumps, will work with other pressure switch Pumps. Eliminates pulsating.

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Thanks Peter,

I have already been in contact with your guys trying to find out what the difference is if any between the one Swift supply 1088201 Surge Damper and the Shu-Flo accumulator. The cost is not a factor I just want to make sure the one I get does the job and I can get a glass of water with out wearing half of it.

While I am here I would just like to say thank you to your company , unfortunately my MH has to go back to Swifts for some warranty work and as Barrons of Kent where I bought the van from are no longer trading I was given your number to ring, spoke to Glen and everything is sorted for Swifts to pick it up from Johns Cross:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Does anyone know the difference between the Shur-flo accumulator and the Whale Surge Damper. Apart from the cost

none between the fiamma and sureflo Dane, but the whale is different and doesnt appear to be adjustable and doesnt look as effective to me .

Fiamma and whale are around £20 and the sureflo is around £35
Link Removed Fiamma

Tank-181-201.jpg
shureflo

Link Removed Whale

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Thanks for the info John:thumb: Coz the Swift one only has a part No, I don't know what make it is. I will ask Johns cross to order the Fiamma jobbie as you say it looks much the same.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for the info John:thumb: Coz the Swift one only has a part No, I don't know what make it is. I will ask Johns cross to order the Fiamma jobbie as you say it looks much the same.

i have two of 'em.....one in use and one spare
took it off my old caravan when i started to convert it to onboard water tank then abandoned the project.
now have a spare fiamma pump as well. :thumb:

never had a problem with them.::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Finally got round to fitting the Fiamma accumalator I picked up from Johns Cross a few weeks ago, it certainly makes a difference, it has stopped the pulsing when using the Nature Pure tap, I can fill a glass now withoout wearing half of it:ROFLMAO:
It has also smoothed out the pump and less noisey.:thumb:

Can well reccomend fitting one and only £20 :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back