Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Away in the MH this weekend and have noticed that every now and again ( maybe twice a day ) the pump starts just for a few seconds
Have checked and no leaks that I can see anyone any ideas what the cause could be not aware of it doing it before now
Ron

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Nowt to worry about if it's only that often.. Just system keep the pressure up..
Mine does it, my old one did it.. May mates does it.. etc

If it was doing it all the time or very regular then I would suspect a problem..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'll go with Roger.....leaky valve or diaphragm....most likely the valves, though mine did the same thing and it was a very minor leak past the edge of the pressure switch diaphragm allowing water into the microswitch housing....took ages to find it..

smiffy502000

Free Member
Aug 5, 2012
sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
coach built.
Exp
since 2008
pump noise

yes my last van did the same,never caused a problem though,:Smile::Smile:

OP
OP
camocam1

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Will have a closer look when I get back home on Tuesday but maybe back on for more advice as new to this and not very technical
Cheers

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Will have a closer look when I get back home on Tuesday but maybe back on for more advice as new to this and not very technical
Cheers

twice a day isnt worth worrying about really....just keep an ear open for it getting more regular.

it is worth checking around the pump with a dry kitchen towel just to confirm no external leaks there...only takes a minute.

as said, a minor internal valve leak will never be found.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Perfectly normal and expected.

The only time my self build doesn't do this is in the summer on days I don't have a shower.

During the winter the heater heats the boiler up as a side effect, this causes the water to expand which has to escape somewhere (dump valve in my case),
when it cools down the pressure drops in the system and the pump goes for a brief burp.

In the summer the same thing happens on shower day. I switch the boiler on. Have a shower then sometime later I remember to switch the boiler off.
when the water cools down it contracts and the pump burps again.

In the summer on non shower days it is totally silent.

If yours makes a noise on non shower days in the summer (when your heating isn't on) you may have a leaky non return valve or your dump valve or one of your taps may have a slightly faulty seal.

Nothing to panic about unless it is doing it really regularly all year. In which case look for damp patched under the van and under any connectors in the plumbing.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Perfectly normal and expected.

The only time my self build doesn't do this is in the summer on days I don't have a shower.

During the winter the heater heats the boiler up as a side effect, this causes the water to expand which has to escape somewhere (dump valve in my case),
when it cools down the pressure drops in the system and the pump goes for a brief burp.

In the summer the same thing happens on shower day. I switch the boiler on. Have a shower then sometime later I remember to switch the boiler off.
when the water cools down it contracts and the pump burps again.

In the summer on non shower days it is totally silent.

If yours makes a noise on non shower days in the summer (when your heating isn't on) you may have a leaky non return valve or your dump valve or one of your taps may have a slightly faulty seal.

Nothing to panic about unless it is doing it really regularly all year. In which case look for damp patched under the van and under any connectors in the plumbing.

I take it that you don't shower very often in the summer then..........:winky:
::bigsmile:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Pump

Hi

Glad this topic has come up. Last couple of vans did the same, pump would run for a few seconds and then stop. No bother.

The new van - the pump comes on and won't turn off - it is running quietly, as if slower, but the only way to turn it off is at the main power switch or run a tap for a few seconds. Running a tap causes a lot of splurting before normal service.

Any ideas?

Russell

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Russ all good advice already given , the odd blip is nothing to bother about, but if yours is pressuring regular then your have either a leak-wrap all joints etc in loo roll or paper towel --or as already been said the seals on the pump diafram is shot ---either new pump or a seal kit --kits are around 15, 20 quid pumps 50 quid upwards and yes a 50 pump will do the same job as a 100 quid one probably only difference will be pressure:thumb:Yet again the 50 quider will be more than enough for a van
Terry

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Hi

Glad this topic has come up. Last couple of vans did the same, pump would run for a few seconds and then stop. No bother.

The new van - the pump comes on and won't turn off - it is running quietly, as if slower, but the only way to turn it off is at the main power switch or run a tap for a few seconds. Running a tap causes a lot of splurting before normal service.

Any ideas?

Russell

If it's a Shurflo pressure- sensitive pump, there is a screw on top of the pump that controls its sensitivity.
If the pump is running constantly, turn the screw until the pumps stops.
Then, it should only run when a tap is opened.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Nowt to worry about if it's only that often.. Just system keep the pressure up..
Mine does it, my old one did it.. May mates does it.. etc

If it was doing it all the time or very regular then I would suspect a problem..

Mine does it....my other van did it just for a sec...something like.... bubump sound...:thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Hi

Any ideas?

Russell

that sounds like a definite fault. Air is getting in somewhere if it splutters. If air is getting in water is getting out.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Mine does it....my other van did it just for a sec...something like.... bubump sound...:thumb:

Ours does it too, but sounds more like a loud gurgling tum:roflmto:
Think it's just taking on more water............the van I mean, not the tum:Doh:

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
sound like pressure regulating valve needs adjusting, as stated previously screw this out constant running of pump and then screw in to cut off, very sensitive but you will find happy medium. if its only the occasional twice a day should be okay to leave, might just have diaphragm need re seating.

OP
OP
camocam1

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Thanks for the replies so far and now I am maybe going to complicate things ever so slightly.

The noise I get every so often is the same noise as I get when we turn on a tap but just for a second or so, so me thinks definitely related to the pump and does not seem to be a problem as many have said.

heyupluv said that his went sort of ba bump well ever since we got the van and especially over night we get a ba bump noise which seems to come from somewhere near the where the power cable is attached and its like a loud switch being thrown off then on and goes mostly at night and quite a few times at that. So anyone any ideas on that one, I have had the cupboard floor up and cant seen anything but thoughts are that it is maybe a voltage regulator ???

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I can also hear the gas going on and off on my water heater, but it is very quiet:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back