Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
Well, we thought we had cured our seized gears with WD but no :Sad:

The 1st and reverse, went from very stiff to almost seized, we have heard that this is a very common problem with the Boxers. 5th gear can also seize but ours was fine.

Anyway, now cured! ::bigsmile::thumb:

After some internet research we bought a new 'control return linkage' £28 and paid £80 for it to be fitted (1-1/2hrs work) And now the gears are better than when we bought it! Yipeee! ::bigsmile:

I hope this helps people with the same prob as would hate to see anyone get conned into a new gear box or extra parts. But...please try the WD first as this can work (I am told) if the prob is not too bad but its very hard to get to the gear linkage so it's pot luck with the WD.

The photo below is the part that we needed to replace:

Attachments

• control return linkage.jpg
    control return linkage.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 72

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Mmm ! Nylon bushings and bearings....never did like 'em.

obviously the nylon wont rust but the metal will and the rust will swell and nip the coupling together.

i've had to bench press steel pins from nylon bushings before.

much cheaper than phosphor bronze but no where near as long lasting.

glad you got sorted. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Well, we thought we had cured our seized gears with WD but no :Sad:

The 1st and reverse, went from very stiff to almost seized, we have heard that this is a very common problem with the Boxers. 5th gear can also seize but ours was fine.

Anyway, now cured! ::bigsmile::thumb:

After some internet research we bought a new 'control return linkage' £28 and paid £80 for it to be fitted (1-1/2hrs work) And now the gears are better than when we bought it! Yipeee! ::bigsmile:

I hope this helps people with the same prob as would hate to see anyone get conned into a new gear box or extra parts. But...please try the WD first as this can work (I am told) if the prob is not too bad but its very hard to get to the gear linkage so it's pot luck with the WD.

The photo below is the part that we needed to replace:
What age is the Pug and what sort of milage had it covered when you first noticed the problem?

Thanks

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
What age is the Pug and what sort of milage had it covered when you first noticed the problem?

Thanks

There won't be a hard and fast answer for that - gear linkages can fail as much through lack of use, as too much!

If a gearbox starts to fail as is common on these, it will first become noticable as being stiff first thing (when the oil is cold thus thicker) and the speedo needle will start to flicker.

Glad it turned out to be a cheaper fix!:thumb:

OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008

Thanks

He's 2003 but we bought him in Nov 08, My wife said the reverse and 1st were a little stiff since we bought him (I didnt notice it, at this point) and it gradually got worse over time. Last summer was when is became so bad that the van became almost un-driveable :Eeek: His millage when we bought him was about 3500, if I had listened to my wife then :Doh: I would have tried to have WD'd the part then, that may have avoided the issue, if I had done this each year but as I said, the part is very hard to get to, without a ramp and mechanical know-how.

OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
There won't be a hard and fast answer for that - gear linkages can fail as much through lack of use, as too much!

If a gearbox starts to fail as is common on these, it will first become noticable as being stiff first thing (when the oil is cold thus thicker) and the speedo needle will start to flicker.

Glad it turned out to be a cheaper fix!:thumb:

So true, it was because it was left standing a lot, it was much worse after it had been standing for a few months over the winter.

The symptoms were the same as you described above, except for the speedo flicker (well, I didnt notice that anyway)... I hope that does not mean the gear box may still go...:cry:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Just for you do you work in a chip shop?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QccPUSTMriM&feature=related[/ame]

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
So true, it was because it was left standing a lot, it was much worse after it had been standing for a few months over the winter.

The symptoms were the same as you described above, except for the speedo flicker (well, I didnt notice that anyway)... I hope that does not mean the gear box may still go...:cry:

You should be ok!
Get hold of some silicone grease, and grease the joints of the selectors. Silicome is a little more waterproof and won't rot the bushes.

If problem persist, then you could drain and refresh the gearbox oil as a precaution. If you do this, leave the old oil in a glass container overnight and it will seperate if water is present.
What i would advise, as it cost nothing to do, is check the scuttle drain and ensure that it exits BEHIND gearbox. Earlier models suffered with water ingress due to the scuttle drain dumping ontop of the box, just above the gearbox mounts.

All you need to do is ensure it is pushed back behind, and you can even add an extension pipe - some use old plastic tubing and secure behind the box. Prevention is the best cure as they say!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back