Pubs Hampshire Sunday lunch (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
We are in new forest area tomorrow has anyone got a favourite pub or restaurant where we can park the motorhome and enjoy lunch tomorrow? (Sunday). Thanks

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
We have had great food at the Wellington in Lyndhurst, but you may need to have booked in advance, not been in motorhome so not sure about parking, might be worth a phone call?

Jun 14, 2011
Grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
7 years
Filly Inn at Brockenhurst Very good access for MH
Hare and Hounds at Sway Parking in the road outside
Rising Sun Bashley VG for motorhome
Lanes Restaurant off Lymington High St you would need to book
Avon Causeway Near Hurn VG access for MH
Have fun and enjoy Lanes would be my 1st choice really nice.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
There are so many nice pubs in the New Forest! My personal favourites are the Crown Stirrup, the Alice Lisle and the Old Beams, all do superb food, the Alice Lisle would probably be my choice if I were going for Sunday Lunch to be honest.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
We always went in the Fighting Cock at Fordingbridge, home made food and we always had a good meal

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Fifiwi

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
I pass many of these pubs on my route at work....just for info, I believe the Crown and Stirrup, on Clay Hill, Lyndhurst, is closed at the moment- for refurbishment?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Red shoot was very good last time we tried it, also stayed on it's site and sampled it's own brewed beers. Nice spot in the forest....

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
The Plough Inn nr New Milton is nice.
If you park on one of the forestry commision carparks on the outskirts of Brockenhurst & walk in - theres a few to choose from. the Snakecatcher was good wasn't it @Popeye ;) but the car park isnt the biggest.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Another vote for the Alice lisle.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Alternative. Load up with Cold cuts,salad wine etc,coming from Sway direction,passing Setthorns Camp site entrance on your left,in about 100'ish yards turn right into the Horseshoe Bottom car parking area,drive down past the first area on your right,to the bottom level,park up and while you feast on your meal,you can look out and over one of the nicest views you will ever see. An ever changing scene,of ponies and cattle drifting through,horse riders passing and people with their dogs walking along and or playing,all in a big unspoilt natural hollow .
I don't even have to close my eyes to see it,even from here. We are off to Canada in May,flying from England and looking forward to spending a week or so on the way back to Portugal at Setthorns in the mo/ho,so, its "Make your mind up time(y)"
Tea Bag .

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Another vote for the Alice lisle.

Ditto, and the Old beams also but the fighting Cocks is fairly close to my place but you lot really should try this place, it has turned into one of our favourites.

Whilst not in the New Forest I've been to the King John Inn at Tollard Royal a couple of times recently and though it is not inexpensive it is Bleddy Good.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Gosh - memories - haven't been to the Old Beams for decades now. Used to be fantastic and very expensive in the 60s - stuff like Lobster Thermidor, Steak Tartare, Tournedos Rossini type of establishment when we thought Berni Inns were our limit, and were a bit too impecunious to be eating in a place like that! Later, when we could afford it - it had become more pub grub, but the food was still excellent, just not such fancy menus. Or prices LOL (first husband's boss's treat on his expenses when we went first time about 1969/70!) Anyway later, a gang of us used to go down to a place nearish to Ringwood for a winter weekend once a year and it was a good place for us from all over the Midlands to meet and have lunch together before descending on our final destination.

Must Google it and see what they're offering these days, just to be nosey ......

Edit - Oh dear. Not exactly getting glowing reviews recently on Trip Advisor ......

Last edited:

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Stopped overnight at the Filly Inn on a number of occasions with the Motor Home. Really nice food and dog friendly in the bar area. Nice walk up the back lanes through the woods.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I pass many of these pubs on my route at work....just for info, I believe the Crown and Stirrup, on Clay Hill, Lyndhurst, is closed at the moment- for refurbishment?
Oooh! I will have to visit after refurbishment! :D

OP
OP
The Cruisers
Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Well we came through new forest and stopped for about 4 or 5 hours at Horseshoe Bottom and looked out on a lovely view of wild horses, people walking and it was so peaceful although a bit chilly thank you Tea Bag for telling us about it. As we drove back we noticed Crown and Stirrup, the Filley Inn and Snakecatcher so we know where they are for future reference.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Well we came through new forest and stopped for about 4 or 5 hours at Horseshoe Bottom and looked out on a lovely view of wild horses, people walking and it was so peaceful although a bit chilly thank you Tea Bag for telling us about it. As we drove back we noticed Crown and Stirrup, the Filley Inn and Snakecatcher so we know where they are for future reference.
If you wanted to have a wander around Lyndhurst there is plenty of parking during the week (can get busy with cars at the weekends) just at the edge of town on the Beaulieu Road.

Take The A35 heading for Southampton & then right on the B3056, turn immediately left by the war memorial. It nice to spend an hour or two there and the Fox and Hounds at the top of town has been a good meal since it was done up a couple of years ago.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
It is a wonderful area! For added reference, the Crown Stirrup is very motorhome friendly (and dog friendly if that's an issue), if you head into the car park at the rear, spin around and reverse up to the kids play area, that's where the landlord likes you to park! (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back