Pub stopovers, Dumfries area.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Barney23, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Barney23

Barney23 Funster

Heading to Stranraer next week & may stop off on way, any recommendations for nice pub which allow a motorhome to stay overnight, anywhere around Dumfries area ?

Many Thanks

2. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Not a pub but can recommend Sweetheart Abbey for a great stopover and there are pubs in the village(y)

• Like Like x 1
  3. MikeD

MikeD Funster

@lorger - Gerry may be able to assist. :xThumb:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren Funster

There is a park in the centre of Dumfries along the river that @lorger recommended for us as a stopover on our way to portpatrick. It is called Dock Park, I've copied lorgers directions below. Great location for walking into town to get something to eat, great access and really easy to find. We will definitely use this again.

Lorgers directions:
    My number one choice for you or should I say my top two is to drive all the way to Dumfries take the first exit off the first roundabout on the A75 and follow road until you reach 3rd mini roundabout take first exit next mini roundabout take first exit Drive through 3 sets of lights and at the forth you have two choices.
    First choice is straight on for 100yards to next set of lights and turn into park on left and you can park up for a couple of nights here with no issues. Only a 5 min walk to town and nice wee Italian 20 yards away in park.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Tincataylor

Tincataylor Funster

Having bought a pint and asked politely to overnight in the car park, we have so far never had a pub in the UK refuse us,

The TIncas

• Like Like x 3
  6. ianandkath

ianandkath Funster

ive found 2 pub stopovers in dumfries, the old stables at beattock, and the wanlockhead inn at gardendyke. you could try them. i have email and phone numbers for them

7. Rapido925M

Rapido925M Funster

Watching the News at the moment and I'm not sure I would want to park by the river in Dumfries! :xsad: - Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  8. Barney23

Barney23 Funster

Many Thanks for replies and messages received :xThumb:

9. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

id check out Dumfries at the moment , its being flooded and the M74 has been closed at some point , hope lorgers ok

• Like Like x 2
  10. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

What he said :D
    Most pubs are amenable to this, there are some that are in the britstop guide in that area, but I don't have my book to hand.

• Like Like x 1
  11. lorger

lorger Funster

I'm fine although we do have family businesses on the Whitesand thankfully tenants are in them so not our worry. We have been flooded several times over the last 30 years with the water being 5ft 3 inside our family pub. I have recommended a couple of places to the OP and will keep him updated with the flooding

• Like Like x 2
  12. dshague

dshague Funster

• Like Like x 1
  13. lorger

lorger Funster

Yes would recommend this place but with the weather we're having this place could be shut for a good few days as its under a good few feet of water just now.
    Not being picky but it's Slightly more than 2 miles will be closer to 6 just incase you head that way and turn back after a couple of miles.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Barney23

Barney23 Funster

Hows it looking up there at the moment ?

15. ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd Funster

Please remember to take into account the new Scottish laws on drink driving limits. The simple answer is don't do it. Remembering that the traffic cops along the A75 are shit hot on "morning after" drivers. The good news is that instances of drink driving in Scotland have dropped dramatically, every cloud & all that.

• Like Like x 1
  16. lorger

lorger Funster

Waters dropped by a good few feet and all shops open again so can't imagine any issues with dock park.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Barney23

Barney23 Funster

Hello,
    Would you know if this is open at moment, we have tried to contact them today but received no reply.
    Thanks

18. dshague

dshague Funster

19. lorger

lorger Funster

Yes they will be open and they are nothing to do with the parking area you just turn up and they have an honesty box for donations. When I say they have nothing to do with it I mean they don't take bookings or anything like that, it's the local Laird that owns the cafe and the quay.

This is a great place to stay and one I'd highly recommend but as I mentioned in my earlier post with the forecast we have this area will flood well before the Dock park, you just wouldn't want to be disturb during the night when you've had a pint or two.

Although it's not the best place my first choice for next week would be Brooms road car park your allowed to park overnight as a few MH are always there, if this place gets flooded then Dumfries is in serious trouble. If I wasn't worried about the flooding (just seen our local forecast) then I would recommend Dock Park and Glencaple as the best two spots but on this occasion I'd go for Brooms road or if your not happy with that you can have my drive.

20. Barney23

Barney23 Funster

Many Thanks,
    Have sent you a message.