Prowler around house when MH away (1 Viewer)

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
we keep our PVC in the driveway and I was away at a sailing Regatta last weekend and took the van for accommodation, so the van wasn't in the driveway and I put my car in its place

My wife (who is pretty deaf) was at home with the dog (a spaniel who never barks unless she is startled by someone at the door) and about 2am, the dog went mental barking and growling. She turned on the upstairs lights and gave it a couple of minutes before going downstairs, there was no sign of anyone but it freaked her out.

On Monday I noticed my rear number plate on my car was loose so I think someone has tampered with it and suspect it was on Saturday night and linked to the fog going ballistic.

I am thinking the prowler was assuming the house was empty because the Van wasn't in the driveway and was surprised by the dog and lights coming on.

I'll need to rethink house security now :(

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Possibility but the dog would have been aware that you were away he would have been more on guard than usual. He could have been barking at something totally unrelated. Your number plate could have been loose for weeks without your notice...

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
This has always been a big fear for myself it's really obvious when we are away as our van parks across the front of my house on quite a busy road . I have a burglar alarm fitted ,four security cameras and numerous sensors that switch on security lights but if you are hundreds of miles away what can you do . All you can do is make your house as secure as you can and hope for the best (n)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Possibility but the dog would have been aware that you were away he would have been more on guard than usual. He could have been barking at something totally unrelated. Your number plate could have been loose for weeks without your notice...
It's a new car and I stuck the number plate on myself a couple of weeks ago with tape that is super hard to unstick... It is possible, but it just seems coincidental. There has been a lot of breakins to gardens recently in the local areas and I am a bit more cautious as the van not being in the driveway is a good indication the house may be empty.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
It's a new car and I stuck the number plate on myself a couple of weeks ago with tape that is super hard to unstick... It is possible, but it just seems coincidental. There has been a lot of breakins to gardens recently in the local areas and I am a bit more cautious as the van not being in the driveway is a good indication the house may be empty.
I have a couple of security cameras which let me know if anything is moving outside. It alerts me on my phone and records the happenings. All good value and reliable. You could have monitored your garden from your regatta bed and put your wife at ease via your mobile that all was clear...(y)

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I have a couple of security cameras which let me know if anything is moving outside. It alerts me on my phone and records the happenings. All good value and reliable. You could have monitored your garden from your regatta bed and put your wife at ease via your mobile that all was clear...(y)

What kind of price...

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
What kind of price...
Depends what you want Phil. I paid around 300 pounds for a couple of good HD cameras, a hard drive storage medium and the internet software. I have another set for outside. You can pay 100 to 1000 depends what you want and whether you install them yourself or not..(y)

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I have just ordered a video door bell, not for the reasons outlined but I can see it serving a purpose when away from home as the sensor will alert you if someone passes by it. For me it is to save me going down stairs to answer the front door as my living area is on the first floor! With this I can tell folk to politely get lost as I am not interested!!!
Cost £90 from Amazon.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
we keep our PVC in the driveway and I was away at a sailing Regatta last weekend and took the van for accommodation, so the van wasn't in the driveway and I put my car in its place

My wife (who is pretty deaf) was at home with the dog (a spaniel who never barks unless she is startled by someone at the door) and about 2am, the dog went mental barking and growling. She turned on the upstairs lights and gave it a couple of minutes before going downstairs, there was no sign of anyone but it freaked her out.

On Monday I noticed my rear number plate on my car was loose so I think someone has tampered with it and suspect it was on Saturday night and linked to the fog going ballistic.

I am thinking the prowler was assuming the house was empty because the Van wasn't in the driveway and was surprised by the dog and lights coming on.

I'll need to rethink house security now :(

Get a bigger dog and let him out next time.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I thought long & hard about this many times when living in the Uk & Whilst I can understand people wanting to see what is happening at the property whilst away it certainly wouldn't be for me.
Nothing would annoy me more than watching someone trash the house whilst being unable to do anything , ( unless I fitted alarm mines) & I have then got to spend inordinate amounts of time tracking down & removing the perpetrators.:mad:

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I thought long & hard about this many times when living in the Uk & Whilst I can understand people wanting to see what is happening at the property whilst away it certainly wouldn't be for me.
Nothing would annoy me more than watching someone trash the house whilst being unable to do anything , ( unless I fitted alarm mines) & I have then got to spend inordinate amounts of time tracking down & removing the perpetrators.:mad:

This is my thought too.. we have an alarm, and decent locks, and all the things I don't want to lose are usually with me anyway .

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
People do notice when the van goes away and they know I am not there. I have 8 cameras and an alarm system. but still I worry about it.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
You could also look at the y-cam products for peace of mind .. indoor and outside.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
We've just bought a four camera security system with 1TB of recording capacity which I've gotta get off my backside & install, but it should be helpful as we've had some odd going's on lately.

Hope you manage to do something similar.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
People do notice when the van goes away and they know I am not there. I have 8 cameras and an alarm system. but still I worry about it.
Such are the times we live in, but people see locked gates, spikey thorn hedges, CCTV cameras, security lights, burglar alarms, automated random light switching, fake TV emulator and a huge glowing infra red spotlight, when they look at our place, and that tends to send them a message should they consider the absence of the M/H an invitation to visit us.

If unwelcome guests are going to come around, I would prefer not to be present

And if all else fails, that's what we pay insurance for.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
I've just recently installed the Netatmo Presence. Neat bit of kit that includes a security light that can either be activated via PIR or alternatively you could turn it on remotely if notified of a person or car via the inbuilt camera.

Records in HD and stores footage on the inbuilt SD card, as well as automatically uploading to a cloud storage service. Different trigger zone areas can be set up to avoid false alarms and will notify you of either a person, car or if you wish an animal; all can be configured via the app.

Has given my wife and I reassurance both when at home and away.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I have a burglar alarm but am so nervous when away that I now let the young men.. friend's sons .. who live across the way stay in my home when away with their girlfriend . No-one is safe these days .. I have never been so nervous when away in motorhome too when I hear noises outside it .. I know for a fact that prowlers have tried to open 'garage' space and tried to get into fuel tank .. it's horrible. :( . Hope you get sorted quickly.

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I have a burglar alarm but am so nervous when away that I now let the young men.. friend's sons .. who live across the way stay in my home when away with their girlfriend . No-one is safe these days .. I have never been so nervous when away in motorhome too when I hear noises outside it .. I know for a fact that prowlers have tried to open 'garage' space and tried to get into fuel tank .. it's horrible. :( . Hope you get sorted quickly.
I do sleep better in the van now I have a Vanbitz Strikeback installed - that way I know that if a door is opened, I'll know about it and the thief will probably scarper - but I hope the presence of the red flashing LEDs and the stickers will discourage the thief from trying and look elsewhere for an easier target

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Such are the times we live in, but people see locked gates, spikey thorn hedges, CCTV cameras, security lights, burglar alarms, automated random light switching, fake TV emulator and a huge glowing infra red spotlight, when they look at our place, and that tends to send them a message should they consider the absence of the M/H an invitation to visit us.

If unwelcome guests are going to come around, I would prefer not to be present

And if all else fails, that's what we pay insurance for.

Our locking gates are due to be installed soon & we have the ability to get the moho right round the back of the house or at least it will when our caravan goes off next week, the space will come in handy & no-one would notice the motorhome is gone.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I have no security but very little valuables either.
If the house gets broken into then insurance can pay. After all that's why I pay for insurance.
My philosophy too. No-one will steal those things that are irreplaceable: Photos of my lads, a beautiful 15kg granite block in my fireplace from a beach on my honeymoon in Cornwall , fossils found on Kimmeridge Beach, my old grammar school cap, my late Dad's 90yr old battered army penknife ......
I don't even protect my m/h as there's nothing of material value in there that isn't insured.
The aftermath of a break-in might be inconvenient but life's too sweet and too short to waste it by stressing about what might happen.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Our youngest lad lives in our house so at least we don't have the worry of the house being empty.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
My best deterrent and first line of attack is my lovely friendly dog, he doesn't bark a lot but he can look after himself in a tussle. His only downfall is he sometimes forgets who his friends are and anyone including me can be fare game...:)

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Doh!!
You wouldn't make a very good burglar :worried::worried:

True, I wouldn't, but I was trying to be a little bit funny. But hey ho, never mind, I will try harder next time. o_O

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back