Prostate cancer

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Mel, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Mel

Mel Funster

Good morning funsters.

Just to say thank you to all the funsters that sent me reasuring messages before the opperation..
    Its now 4 weeks since the opperation and I am nearly back to normal.
    Not there yet but geting beter every day.

Its thanks to motorhome fun that i dare talk about it.

before it was mentioned on here i kept it very much to myself.

once again thank you for the PM's

Mel.

• Like Like x 33
  2. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Glad you are through such a difficult time, I went through a prostatectomy four years ago and consider myself very lucky that it could be sorted.
    Good luck for the future :thumb:

• Like Like x 7
  3. brynric

brynric Funster

I'm glad to hear your on the mend.
    I know it's not a subject for humour but I was disturbed to see this thread next to a thread on "welding equipment" and near to another on "drain pipe cleaning".
    It made me shudder.:Eeek:

• Like Like x 9
  4. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Greetings Meor,

Glad you're on the mend. Little steps and before you know it, apart from that little prayer of "Thank God" (and I'm not religious in any way), you can put it all behind you.

I had it (and didn't know), They sorted out something completely different, (and then told me I'd got it:Eeek:) That put me through the mental wringer, and then they discovered that in sorting out the 'other' problem, they'd got rid of the Cancer, all of it:thumb: without realising it.

The 'only' problem I had was going to the toilet umpteen times a night.

IF THAT IS YOU, AND YOU'RE A BLOKE. DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!

• Like Like x 5
  5. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Happy to hear you are on the mend Mel. I cannot stress enough that getting a simple test done early can save mens lives. For some strange reason men do not want to talk about prostate cancer, so the more its brought out into the open, the more mens lives will be saved. Going to the loo often is not a sign of middle age, its a sign of possible prostate cancer. When you have pain, its too late, so get it checked out early. I had radium treatment 5 years ago for prostate cancer, and through regular checkups they found secondary cells in the bladder last October. A simple operation sorted that and am now almost as good as new. Keep an eye on those PSA levels and make sure you get the 6 monthly checkup. Many do not realise that although most men die with prostate cancer, many do not die from it, only due to its early diagnosis. Spread the word and save some lives :thumb:.

• Like Like x 15
  6. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

A problem that must be talked about, PROSTATE CANCER KILLS so many men and if things do not seem right, cannot pee or a little blood or of a mature age get a PSA blood test at your GP surgery, simple :thumb:

Staying alive is far better :Cool:

• Like Like x 3
  7. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Yes get it done - not only for your own sake but also for the sake of everyone who loves you.

• Like Like x 1
  8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Great to read that the operation was successful.

• Like Like x 2
  9. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

Delighted to hear your good news Mel ,spread the word there is no shame in having prostate cancer it needs to be out there that if you get checked regularly this disease can be beaten .The side effect varies but after 3 weeks i had only my scars to remind me the prostate had being removed no side effects ,no pain and after two years i tend to forget it ever happened.To all the men out there who feel they have a problem ,get a blood test its as easy as that .Well done Mel .Harry.:thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  10. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Glad you are on the mend:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  11. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Nobody tells me anything! Much belated hug, Mel... and one for today....:Smile: Glad you are on the mend and well done you for speaking about it and keeping men aware of the importance of early diagnosis. x

• Like Like x 3
  12. Detnor

Detnor Funster

Good to hear you are on the mend Mel, you need to suppress those Yorkshire instincts.

Norman

• Like Like x 2
  13. B-well

B-well Funster

:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

my shelf and lynn jay have ben thinking of you hope you are on the way to recovery all the best
    billthedrill

• Like Like x 2
  15. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

Good to hear your news Mel.
    It might be worth mentioning that.while getting tested is important,you can have symptoms without it being cancer.
    Increased frequency and loss of pressure are quite common symptons and can be just an enlarged Prostate-often manageable with medication (one particular tablet has the generic name of 'Flo-Max' :Rofl1:)
    If presenting with any of those symptoms your GP should do the full test anyway.
    If medication is not successful then a TURPS procedure -Trans Urethral Prostate Section can often do the trick-it did for me :BigGrin:

Mike

• Like Like x 3
  16. nomadic

nomadic Funster

Mel,

Very pleased to hear you are on the road to recovery, well done.:thumb:

I followed "Larry", seems a long time ago now, then the bladder become infected, so it was removed, at last my blood hit the magic 0.01 and all is well.

Talking and promoting the PSA test is the way forward, so onwards and upwards.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Mel

Mel Funster

Going in the morning for a post op blood test so should have P.S.A. count by Thursday.

Mel

18. Ambilkate

Ambilkate Funster Life Member

Sorry Mel did not know you were going through this so glad to hear you are getting there all best wishes from us three.
    :thumb::thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Keef

Keef Funster

Prostatectomy

Very interested to read how you guys have experienced this as my operation is on Monday the 31st.
    I have had the cancer for three years so it's been a case of waiting and watching but it has now reached the point of needing surgery.
    My op will be carried out in Bristol using the Da Vinci robot which they tell me is less invasive, so hopefully the recovery won't be too long.

20. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Oh Keef. PLEASE PLEASE come back and let us know how you are going on... we don't like to ask too many questions as it can seem invasive on someone's privacy ... but we do care.

Fingers crossed that all goes well and you will soon come out of the other side smiling. Remember, that any of the side effects, etc, are nothing to worry about at this moment of your journey ... get through the operation and get back to the point of loving life again..

Keep strong.

• Like Like x 5