Pro's & Con's of fitting Gaslow (1 Viewer)

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
Thinking about fitting a Gaslow system (1 x 11KG bottle) to run a long side a propane bottle. This would be for the winter run down to southern Spain. Other than cost, do members have any advice or experience of running such a system.

Thanks

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I have had two refillable bottles fitted by Autogas 2000 at Thirsk, for reasons that I am sure you understand, and enquired about running one of each. It is no problem to do, but I opted for both as I would still be paying out for Calor refills at some stage, and filling two bottles at once seemed the easiest option.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have two 11Kg Alugas bottles (lighter than Gaslow). There are no real cons, but filling places are not as common in Spain as they are in France. Taking one refillable and one ordinary bottle is a good idea, as long as the other bottle is a Spanish one. No real point in having a Calor one as refills are expensive and available in the UK only.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have two vans and in the Iveco I have a Gaslow 11kg and a Calor Lite 6kgs which, shock horror, I fill or get filled via an adaptor.

The Hymer has a twin Gaslow system with an 11kg bottle and a 6 kg bottle.

Alugas were not as available as they are now otherwise I might have gone for the lighter bottles but the point I want to make is that no matter the cost, the savings made every time I fill up plus the convenience makes these cylinders the most economical purchase of them all.

With two "refillable" bottles I have always managed no matter where I roam (but I don't park up for months on end).

JJ. :Cool:

Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I had a Gaslow 11Kg fitted last year and keep a Calor 6Kg as a reserve just in case - all seems to work just fine, and certainly no problems filling up in France with the correct adapter.

Only con I can think of is that the bog standard clip-on gauge on the Gaslow bottle neck is highly inaccurate.

I would recommend using stainless steel pipes rather than rubber for any gas system to avoid gunk building up.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Gasit worked for me

I fitted two 6kg Gasit bottles http://www.gasit.co.uk/ - kit about £300 - and it took me about a half hour. I sourced stainless steel hoses on eBay at considerable savings and my first fill cost me under £18 for the two bottles as compared with£20 for a refilled equivalent calor bottle. Do the maths! I had no problem filling up in the UK but had to have help in Spain - my ineptitude! You can download LPG stations to your sat nav from the Internet which was pin point accurate for one in Seville. Just go for it - and you own the bottles and fittings for your next van!

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Gaslow

Hi,

Prior to our trip through France and Spain to Morocco last Autumn, I had two 11kg Gaslow bottles fitted. We took a leisurely route down the French Atlantic coast then crossed Spain via Aranjuez and Granada. I filled up (though it only cost 11€) near Malaga and didn't need to refill again for the whole 9 weeks. I also had a small Camping Gaz cylinder with us for our Cadac, "just in case" but that o e is still not empty even now. I find the Gaslow system easy to use and it saves a fortune in refill costs and muscle power. And there are plenty if places you can fill up. One of our members sent me an LPG map for Spain.

Downsides? High installation cost and make sure you have a full set of adapters, other than that, none so far!

Gary :Smile:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I just fitted a Alugas bottle to my nh, its exactly the same as the gaslow bottle but in red and says RV Refillible on it. As fas as I'm aware it comes from the same manufacturer as gaslow and it worked out about £60 - £70 cheaper. I could have went for the lightweight one which was the same price as the gaslow, being Scottish though I couldn't justify the extra money to save 4 kilos instead I put the wife on a diet :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Forgot to say the service was excellent and don't forget to mention motorhome fun for your discount.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, over the years we have had Gaslow, we then went to Alugas because of the weight of the bottles being only 6.3kg empty, got them from Gas it and very pleased with them. :thumb:

http://www.gasit.co.uk/index.php?_a=category&cat_id=26

We have two 11kg aluminum bottles and fill them here and overseas no problem with an external filler.

When we go to Spain, I then take one of them off and put a spanish bottle on.::bigsmile:

Two reasons, the first being auto gas is not as easy to get in Spain, although they are getting more pumps you may have to travel a long way, :Doh: if like us you stay on the same site for long periods of time.
And the second reason is gas bottles in Spain are everywhere be it Repsol or Cepsa, this year it was €16 .32 for a large bottle, so cheaper than calor.
Cepsa do lighter bottles either S/ Steel or the one that we have that are a bit like a calor light, :winky: but bigger grey in color with a red plastic handle. :ROFLMAO:

Depending on how long your going to be in Spain, on what would be best for you, but you can pick up gas bottles at boot fairs / charity shops or campsites sometimes.:Smile:

Then all you need is a jumbo valve and either a fitting to a propane pig tail, or a butane pig tail the same as the one that will fit your refillable bottle.:thumb: Bob.

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
I was talked into getting 1 refillable and 1 Calor when I installed Gaslow. All it did was to highlight how much cheaper it was to run the refillable against the cost of Calor. Needless to say within a year I was back getting the Calor cylinder replaced by a Gaslow as well. Keep a French and a Euro adaptor in the locker as well and you're laughing.
Geoff.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i think they arte too expensive .
also keep meeting folk that are having trouble with the bottles playing up . not allowing gas to enter the bottle .
know of a friend that as had his bottles changed twice in 3 yrs . good they do . also gaslow fittings seem to crack and lkeak .
isnt there a cheaper way of getting gas bottles filled .i,m sure there is .

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I have a 40ltr fixed tank and have had system plumbed so that I can attach a Spanish bottle for long stays.
Mike

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Gaslow

Hello there. We have had six motorhomes in our 'vanning career and three were fitted with Gaslow.

1) Compass Avantgarde, 2 x 6kg cylinders, all was well.

2) Kontiki - 2 x 11kg cylinders, nothing but bother, leak after leak from the ends of rubber hoses.

3) Kontiki - 2 x 11kg cylinders, steel hoses this time, fool proof, oh no - it split and was quite frightening on the forecourt of Morrisons!

Aside from the leaks, that have put us off totally, here are my thoughts.

1) Convenient - no searching for Calor or Flogas - LPG is available widely.
2) no lugging heavy cylinders about.

The cost of the set up might be restrictive for some, and my own calculations are thus, for a system like what we had.

Set up cost £400.

1 x 13kg Calor - £23 locally, for 26 litres. 26 litres of LPG @ 73p per litre is £18.98, so a price diff of £4.02..... that takes a long time to recoup the outlay, but of course, you can remove and refit the system or sell it on.

6kg Calor are about £19, so £1.58 per litre, so the savings made here are greater.

We use 2 x 13kg Calor and are happy with that. We are rarely off hook up though, although we do sometimes rally and use aires or hotel car parks etc.

Russell

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Thinking about fitting a Gaslow system (1 x 11KG bottle) to run a long side a propane bottle. This would be for the winter run down to southern Spain. Other than cost, do members have any advice or experience of running such a system.

Thanks

Well, you could get away with only using the 1 bottle as it doesn't have to be empty before you refill it.

Personally, I prefer a fixed tank to a refillable portable. They can often be tucked away underneath somewhere, freeing up valuable locker space. They're usually larger, too.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Alugas here.. saved us an absolute fortune !!

I installed it about two years ago and it paid for its self in the first year.. Now well on the bonus side ( to say the least !! )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back