Pros and cons of extra windows (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
After ticking (probably) way too many options on our 2015 Dethleffs Esprit Comfort MH, I was wondering what people thought about paying for a bathroom window (just toilet and sink room, as the shower is separate) and/or an opening overcab window.
I've done a bit of homework re the overcab area, so I understand that as 'hot air rises' it should be a cosy part of the van. Will the heki surfice for ventilation/will the kids get wet when it rains, if open?

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Having both, I'd say go for them.
Toilet window, great for number twos, nasty niffs go out of the window. Phew! Handy when there's a few of you in the Motorhome. Plus our window is at the back , so with the blind open you can see through the window when reversing, or I can ,should I say. Back a bit , back a bit right.......... Saying that , there's a roof light in there too.

Our over cab / Luton , has windows to the front and both sides .
We sleep up there in the king size bed. Plenty head room.
With the fly screens down and windows open, it's lovely in the hot weather. You can lay there in your pants , and get a nice cool breeze. With the curtain shut into the main cab, the privacy too. :blush:
The kids bunks have a window each too, so they get the same option.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi, a window in the toilet is of little use, as the blind will always be closed. A far better option is a large roof light incorporating a fan. We have the large Heki in the lounge, but as we are in Spain for the winter and the sun is still strong, its closed with the blackout blind pulled for shade. We have a smaller roof light over the kitchen area with a small fan that is left on permanently and side windows open both sides to give through ventilation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hi, a window in the toilet is of little use, as the blind will always be closed. A far better option is a large roof light incorporating a fan. We have the large Heki in the lounge, but as we are in Spain for the winter and the sun is still strong, its closed with the blackout blind pulled for shade. We have a smaller roof light over the kitchen area with a small fan that is left on permanently and side windows open both sides to give through ventilation.
Agreed - a rooflight is far better than a window - and another (or an in addition to) option is a SOG: nasty niffs sucked down the pan = zero in the living area.

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Agreed - a rooflight is far better than a window - and another (or an in addition to) option is a SOG: nasty niffs sucked down the pan = zero in the living area.
We also have the SOG, am told it works well ;).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jeannette van den Oever
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
Thanks for the input, so far everyone.
I'm sure the van's bathroom has a heki/extractor unit, so that should be ok.
We used to ban 'number 2's' in our caravan, except in emergencies, but then we tended to glamp on sites with facilities. Perhaps I'll accidentally overlook all those CLs attached to Thai pubs.:D
Giggling about your 'privacy' comment Ralph n Bev - we wanted a solid(ish) partition between the rest of the van and our bed, for exactly this reason. Lord knows how Bailey managed to win 'family' MH of the year without any partition what so ever. Adoption, storks, eye bleach? :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i say dont have any roof lights . they can make it too warm in the sun .also a cause of water ingress. but do have high windows . mine is lovely and cool in summer yet warm in winter . the windows high up chimney heat and smells out . small windows stop the sun building heat up in the summer . plus better for security.
not everyones cup of tea but works for me .after all if its nice weather you will be outside .

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back