Proper SOG v Autotrails Attempt at a SOG! (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
At the risk of setting another hare running we have a SOG but soon realised using it without anything to reduce smells was a non-starter. The fan will prevent smells escaping in use but it doesn't help when you come to empty it!

Like many others we use a dribble of a cheap bio laundry liquid, putting it in after emptying. But cheap is a relevant term as they cost several pounds a bottle, typically something like €8 in Europe, a bit less if you are lucky. :)
So could you still use the blue sachets to reduce the smell when emptying as i am assuming it would still break down with the chemicals and with the way it vents it would also stop the smells in the van?

I have quite a few of these left if i do decide to swap.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
So could you still use the blue sachets to reduce the smell when emptying as i am assuming it would still break down with the chemicals and with the way it vents it would also stop the smells in the van?

I have quite a few of these left if i do decide to swap.
Yes of course, it's just a standard cassette after all. But one of the ideas behind the SOG is by putting nothing too nasty down there the contents can be disposed of in a standard sewer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Yes of course, it's just a standard cassette after all. But one of the ideas behind the SOG is by putting nothing too nasty down there the contents can be disposed of in a standard sewer.

Great thanks, I am assuming if want my 2nd cassette that i carry to be modified i will need to buy some spare parts ontop of the normal sog kit

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The C250 and C260 thetfords have a vent anyway. It automatically closes when you slide the tank out and opens when you slide it in. Look underneath the cassette and you will see it. Push it and the vent opens. There is a protruding part in the fixed base which opens it as you slide the cassette in. It is this vent which the fan sucks from, if you have the fan fitted that is.

However I remain sceptical that either this or the SOG provides enough oxygen to aid the aerobic digestion much.

Many of the SOGs I have seen have the vent hole in the emptying spout. Does that cause problems when emptying?

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I'm not sure that SOG claim that the fan is the main cause of decomposition. Having checked their brochure that I downloaded at the time I fitted mine (7 years ago) they refer to increased airflow aiding decomposition. The way the SOG is installed allows free air access to the cassette at all times, not just when the fan is running to vent the system. There is an open air vent via the tube and through the fan, even when it is not running. This means that gases can escape to the outside because the cassette is not a sealed system. I have found that the SOG idea works very well and it is one of the best accessories I have fitted. Practical experience suggests that one of the key factors determining rate of decomposition is ambient temperature. In southern France this August (circa 30º) breakdown was very rapid; in Britain in winter, it can take several days.

Likewise the C250 has a vent that remains open to the air when the cassette is in place, it's at the bottom of the cassette with a stack tube drawing air above the liquid even if the Cassette is full,
when you remove the cassette for emptying it automatically springs shut so no leakage,
IMO far superior to the SOG unit where you have to unplug external pipe and seal cassette with a bung before transporting to the dumping point,
then doing all that in reverse before being able to use again,
at the end of the day they both work exactly the same, but the thetford C250 and later models are engineered to work seamlessly without messing with pipes/ bungs/ wires,
if you have a earlier Thetford then I would definitely fit a SOG but if you have the latest type then it's a no brainer to fit Thetford own kit or easily make up you own with very limited DIY skills,

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@zac We had an Autotrail Tracker fitted with the Thetford fan and filter and it was rubbish when investigating I found that it did not even vent to outside the filter out led was against the floor in the cassette locker when asking dealer was told that's how it is.
I purchased a SOG and fitted myself wouldn't be be without one now.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
@zac We had an Autotrail Tracker fitted with the Thetford fan and filter and it was rubbish when investigating I found that it did not even vent to outside the filter out led was against the floor in the cassette locker when asking dealer was told that's how it is.
That's interesting, Where did you vent the pipe, is your door same side as awning or habitation door?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
That's interesting, Where did you vent the pipe, is your door same side as awning or habitation door?
No it was opposite side but I suppose you could vent through floor and duct it across to the other side, we no longer have the Tracker but moved to a Hymer Exsis Aclass SOG fitted pre delivery.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971

well you spent money needlessly IMO, if it had been fitted correctly with a proper outside vent it performs a exactly as a SOG unit without having to uncouple anything to remove the cassette,
you cannot blame thetford for the incompetent fitting of their unit by a Motorhome Manafactures,
there was a report of a Manafactures that had vented a toilet into the double floor of an A class without carrying the vent to the outside, all down to shoddy workmanship, defintly not down to Thetford,

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
well you spent money needlessly IMO, if it had been fitted correctly with a proper outside vent it performs a exactly as a SOG unit without having to uncouple anything to remove the cassette,
you cannot blame thetford for the incompetent fitting of their unit by a Motorhome Manafactures,
there was a report of a Manafactures that had vented a toilet into the double floor of an A class without carrying the vent to the outside, all down to shoddy workmanship, defintly not down to Thetford,
IMO don't think I wasted my money but that's only my opinion

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We had the SOG on previous moho for 6+ years and now have the Thetford system and they both work equally well.

IMO any chemicals are a waste of time and money ... I empty at least once every day which doesn't give time for any "break down" of the contents.

No cassette contents are particularly pleasant whether mixed with chemicals or not .... just remember to keep mouth shut during the process, any other splash backs or ricochets can easily be washed off!

After each emptying I give the cassette 2 or 3 good swill outs with fresh or grey waste and after each trip give it a thorough hose out so it smells as fresh as a daisy for next trip.

EDIT. Just like to add that our Thetford system has been properly fitted by Hymer and not partly fitted by Autotrail!

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
true but with a little bit of DIY (y)you can wire in a small PIR that brings on the fan at the same time a small row of LEDs to light you path to the loo when it's dark without disturbing any one, you can adjust the time the PIR works from seconds to 30 mins or more,
this way the fan is already running before you move the slide,
my C250 also vents below the Motorhome after the charcoal filter and works extremely well, and to keep costs down buy some charcoal filter blocks from an aquarium and cut to size, much cheaper than thetford own,
I agree with ivorantony if you fit a computer fan connected to a PIR it operates much better than a SOG in fact ivorantony kindly sent me a wiring diagram and if I can fit a fan connected to a PIR anyone can. The whole thing cost under £10.00 from memory, ours has been fitted approx two years and hasn't faltered it comes on when we enter the small room and goes off a couple of minuets after we leave the small room, no smell in the small room ever and no smell outside if you fit a filter as per advice from ivorantony. There is nothing stuck on the side of the toilet hatch/door like a SOG and no drilling into the cassette or uncoupling of hoses when emptying the cassette. Hope this helps clarify.
Thanks again ivorantony.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Could you please advise where you got the kit from and was it easy to install?
I bought mine from CAK Tanks. The hardest part of the install wall cutting the hole in the floor (because on my MH the WC sits on a wooden plinth so you had to drill plinth and floor). You need to remove the WC and disconnect the push fit water pipe to do the work but it's only 5 or 6 screws and okay for competent DIYers.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
So here we get to the crux of the matter. If MH builders can't install a fridge and vent it accordance to the manufactures recommendations we can't expect them to drill a bloody hole under the WC!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
That was Autotrails's problem not Thetford's. Both my old Adria and new Hymer had the correctly fitted vent pipe below the filter. In the case of the Hymer it went through the double floor to the outside. Easy enogh to do so why Autotrail missed it is a mystery, although some would say typical.

Last edited:

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
This whole thread smells of shit .....
ill keep my money atm , after all it costs noting to do your no. 2's in the local field

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
another question, I know that you dont use chemicals with a SOG but i have also read that you can still use the green stuff to minimise the odour when emptying. Anyone know if this is correct event though it will be pretty pointless as this is more expense but always good to know everything :)
Even with a SOG it stinks when emptying,,,Will stick to my Coach Sachets,,,BUSBY..

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
What's wrong with a bit of a smell when you empty it? I have never found it an intolerable experience.
S**t smells - it's just part of nature. :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
Mine doesn't, well it does, but of roses:sun:(_*_) :hi:

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
I guess I have the latest filter (2015 AutoTrail) and my belief is that it works fine. I pop in a lavender bio tab after each clean out and it does the job :rolleyes::LOL:. I haven't changed the filter yet, forgot until I read this thread but no problems with smell.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Do Autotrail vent it properly to the outside now?
Pretty sure mine (2015 model Delaware) doesnt go anywhere apart from into the filter. Other models may be different

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Pretty sure mine (2015 model Delaware) doesnt go anywhere apart from into the filter. Other models may be different
No as I said earlier we had 2013 tracker and it just rested on the floor under the cassett and made lots of noise vibrating against it when in use.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
No as I said earlier we had 2013 tracker and it just rested on the floor under the cassett and made lots of noise vibrating against it when in use.
I expect it will be the same on all Autotrail models unless they have changed it on the new 2017 models that are about to be released.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I don't know why they do not vent to outside it would be a simple excercise.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back