Sep 21, 2008
Tealby, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2008
Dear All,
Just got back from a trip to Scotland and had a few problems with our gas supply.
When we took delivery of our new van last October, it came complete with two propane cylinders (Energas 11kg) and a Gaslow change over system. Our first problem was that the gas ran out half way through our trip, and the automatic changeover didn't seem to work (or at least we ended up with two empty cylinders.) The second problem was trying to get new cylinders. The local Calor gas dealers didn't seemed to know about the Energas bottles. We finally got some help from Marshall's camping shop who replaced the bottles for 13kg Calor gas cylinders. When we replaced the cylinders with Calor gas 13kg, we noticed that we could not get the gas to our appliances without pushing the green buttons on the connectors - which wasn't the case with the Energas bottles. We cannot find any information on this type of connector, and the motorhome dealer where we purchased our van (MMC in Skipton) have scant knowledge on what they fitted (or who fitted it!), are too far away to visit, and one feels it would be a wasted visit.
Questions:
1) what are the green buttons supposed to do?
2) are these connectors OK for Calor bottles, as we are unable to get rid of that leaking gas smell, even though we have tightened the connectors really well. Only way to get rid of the smell is to screw down the gas cylinders' hand wheels.
Any advice you can give would be great.:shout:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi you have answered your own question. the leaking gas smell is leaking gas so a danger to use. The connectors do not fit. The automatic change over appears to work how else did you end up with two empty bottles. That is the problem of an automatic system you have no idea when one bottle is empty. As one 11kg bottle will last for cooking and fridge for approx one month I can only assume you used a lot of gas heating. I would suggest an extra layer of clothes and an extra duvet or two instead. Change the connectors to standard propane so there are no connection problems. I trust you were switching the gas off before you drove (at the bottle that is) The connectors need sorting whilst you still have a van. Good luck.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi ,

agree with Roger ..

To answer your first question about the green button..

The green button is a safety device, you need to hold it to pressurise the system, it's designed to operate and close the supply if there is a sudden loss of pressure.. but I've only ever seen them on French regulators .. and if the connection is leaking it's the wrong regulator.. don't use and have them changed asap

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Scallywag

Scallywag

Free Member
Sep 21, 2008
Tealby, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks Wildman for your speedy response. We turned the gas off straight away and have kept it off. However when switching to the Calor gas bottles at Marshall's, they put a Calor regulator in our old empty bottles to check the fit. It did fit, and they therefore felt that our connectors would fit in to their bottles. I guess this doesn't always follow. On the last site we stayed at, a fellow camper suggested hitting the gas spanner with a hammer. I have not done this. Think it might be better to take it to a local Motorhome dealer.
Thanks again. Best wishes

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Scallywag

Scallywag

Free Member
Sep 21, 2008
Tealby, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2008
Dear Scotjimland,
In searching the web, It seemed that the green button connector belongs to a German system, ( makes sense as our van is a TEC, though MMC did fit the second bottle and the Gaslow changeover system) but the pigtail ends look like the UK type I have seen on various websites. MMC, the dealer, advised on the phone that they were "pretty sure" that the connectors they had supplied would work on Calor gas bottles - but they didn't fill us with confidence. I think a Corgi engineer might be the best route to go.
Best wishes and thanks

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
could be wrong but i think energas is more a regional supplier while calor is national.
why the M/H supplier has has fitted energas is anyones guess unless its down to materials cost.:Sad:
sounds to me like you need a couple of new gaslow propane pigtails before you use it again......or it may be the last time you do use it:Sad:

to be quite honest if you use gas at that rate you would be better with a couple of gaslow refillables anyway.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks Wildman for your speedy response. We turned the gas off straight away and have kept it off. However when switching to the Calor gas bottles at Marshall's, they put a Calor regulator in our old empty bottles to check the fit. It did fit, and they therefore felt that our connectors would fit in to their bottles. I guess this doesn't always follow. On the last site we stayed at, a fellow camper suggested hitting the gas spanner with a hammer. I have not done this. Think it might be better to take it to a local Motorhome dealer.
Thanks again. Best wishes

it maybe did fit but a slight difference in thread pitch might not be noticable to the hand and it will still leak.:Sad:

hit it with a hammer.......hope i never park next to him:Eeek::whatthe:

all that will do is stretch the brass thread on the pigtail and make it U/S for any bottle.:Doh:

a gas pigtail doesnt need to be very tight......think about the gaslow type with a handwheel instead of a nut.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

I think some of the green buttons you are talking about may be Truma fittings web

Link Removed

Thease units work with change over unit

Link Removed

This a safe unit so that you can travel with gas on

Just for information, These were fitted to our Laika and work fine. I think it must be the mix causeing trouble.

Dave

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Scallywag

Scallywag

Free Member
Sep 21, 2008
Tealby, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2008
Dear Desco and Papajohn,

The connectors are indeed G7's (i.e. compatable with most UK bottles) and are fitted to a Secumotion, via the Gaslow change over mechanism. So I think they should work. I am chary to try and tighten them further, based on what Papajohn says. I did test the connections with soapy water, and there is no visible evidence of a leak. When I first connected them there was, but after tightening further the bubbles stopped. It could be that the leak is further back down the line towards the Secumotion device - once again no evidence from my soapy solution - but still a distinct smell of gas when the cylinders' hand wheels are open. I think I will get an expert to take a look.

Many thanks for all your input.
Best wishes

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
If the van is still under warranty I suggest you take it up with the sellers. Failing that get a gas sniffer from Ebay and trace the source of the leak.
Good luck

Upvote 0

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
It is worth noting that if you have a leak around a plastic or rubber seal, that the seal will be frozen by the leak and be almost impossible to tighten enough to cut off the leak.
Closing the supply and removing the connector for a few minutes will allow the seal to defrost and recover it's elasticity and sealing properties.
Of course, if it is a metal to metal seal, the above is just so much bollocks, unless there is some dirt on the metal seal.

Regards.

Upvote 0

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Just a thought if you buy yourself a cannister of leak detector spray from your local plumbers merchant you spray it on the connnection on the bottle and it will bubble if it is leaking in fact spray any screwd joint just to make sure. you may just have a damaged tail.Cheers Rob W:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Scallywag

Scallywag

Free Member
Sep 21, 2008
Tealby, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2008
Wallace and Wasp,
Thanks for the helpful tips. We had a go at losening and re-tightening the connectors and it seems to have solved the leak. Will definitely get the spray leak test stuff from a local DIY shop and just have the local service centre look it over.

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful comments.

Best wishes::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
I used to have an automatic changeover valve on the propane bottles for my house years ago (before mains gas became available) and there was a small window on the valve and a turnable cap on the top with an arrow, to which ever bottle the arrow was pointing the widow would show either a green or red flag showing full or empty!

I am sure most changeover valves have this sort of indicator facility so you can tell which bottle is empty, I have seen one with a lever which did the same thing.

Regards Pat

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Wallace and Wasp,
Thanks for the helpful tips. We had a go at losening and re-tightening the connectors and it seems to have solved the leak. Will definitely get the spray leak test stuff from a local DIY shop and just have the local service centre look it over.

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful comments.

Best wishes::bigsmile:
no need to buy the leak spray, its just soapy water, a drop of washing up liquid in a cup and a small brush will do the same job.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back