Prolific Lurker, finally a paid up member!! (1 Viewer)

Biggerthanbefore

Free Member
Jan 23, 2011
North Staffs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1993, on and off.
Hi there, I have taken the plunge after years of lurking around. I have used this site for answers to many problems I have encountered over the last few years and wanted to start posting myself on various topics.

I am a member of other MH forums (not Fact) and feel this place has a good vibe so, hello!

Our journey started back in the early 90's in the VW scene with an early 68 Bay window Dormobile camper (TWP 196F) and we thoroughly enjoyed time away, including chipping ice off the inside of the windows camping in Avimore one winter with no heating.

We sold that van in about 2000 and had a few years off (when kids came along) then decided to rent a VW van to see how easy it would be with a 6 year old daughter and a 1 year old son. It wasn't easy but it was fun so we purchased a beautiful 1968 Danbury VW Camper from a friend (who I think is on Fun) and never looked back until the Cornish floods of 2008 which saw 4 of us sat inside a VW camper for 3 weeks whilst the rain and wind battered our awning, we moved from site to site hoping for a break in the weather. It was so wet I put my swimming trunks on to set up camp and break camp, we had no dry clothes and morale was at an all time low.

We had a single day of sunshine on the last day at the VW Jamboree in Cornwall and managed a BBQ which felt like a result.
Anyhoo not long after that we decided to rethink our holidays and in 2010 we bought an Elddis Autoquest 600 (2005) after hiring a similar motorhome to test the water, we found it to be ideal and travelled around the UK and NW europe during the following 5 years and enjoyed every minute of it. We eventually decided to sell the Autoquest and to look for a different layout. The Autoquest had a double bed in the luton, a double in the dinette area and 2 slightly short bunks in the rear, the bottom of which lifted up to form a small garage/shed.

We sold the Autoquest quickly as it was a beautiful clean van and started the search seriously for our next van.

We wanted twin singles and a double, useable shower and proper garage.
We looked at maybe 30 vans before we saw the one which suited. Travelled good distances in some cases only to find damp, bodged jobs, wonky bike racks crushing the rear panel, dirty, hard used, unloved and so on. We looked at Rapidos with 300kg payloads and Hymers with dents in every panel and others with broken blinds and windows.
Now with a second hand MH you can expect to have to fix stuff and the price can be adjusted to reflect this but everything we saw was priced as a mint specimen and with little room for negotiation so we walked away from them all.

Eventually we found a Niesmann + Bischoff Arto 69E for sale privately through a motor dealer via Ebay (an elderly chap who didn't 'do' Ebay) we went to look at the van, liked it, drove it and bought it after making an offer we were happy with.

It is a really clean well loved van with no wear to speak of inside and not much in the way of wear on the exterior. It is a 2007 plate and 4000kgs gross weight giving us about 800kg payload. Super insulation and great heating makes it quite cosy.

There are jobs to do and jobs have already been done to get it how I like it but so far so good.

So anyone who has stayed with me here, I would like to say hi.

Bodge

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
welcome! nice choice of van.... from an ex Westy lover

Eddie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
You can't beat of 'Prolific Lurking' Welcome.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
welcome animated smiley.gif

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It is the best interactive motorhome resource available anywhere (y)

Better than any magazine as it is up to date, right to the minute, not informations that is months out of date, and you can have a laugh and a giggle, as the light touch of Jim the forum owner allows for humour and laughs but bullying and ridicule is simply not accepted.

Lets face it the three main UK forums are Out and About live, Motorhome Facts and FUN. Fun is the busiest, most relevant and usable motorhome resource that is owned by and run by some one who not only owns a motorhome, uses one, who actually has been away in his since October lol

Other forums are like being taught to cook, from some one who can't cook lol Lots of opinions but no experience, so little relevance

Welcome to Fun

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Hi, I started my Mobile holidays in a J2 with my mum and dad but then when old enough for one of my own it was a bay window type 2 of 1971 vintage and have been mobile ever since on and off. Welcome as a fully paid up member to Fun. (y)

Edit:- J2 next to a split Type 2.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Hi and welcome(y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi From another N+B, we need to stick together you know, safety in numbers and all that.

Martin and Jen

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Hi, I started my Mobile holidays in a J2 with my mum and dad but then when old enough for one of my own it was a bay window type 2 of 1971 vintage and have been mobile ever since on and off. Welcome as a fully paid up member to Fun. (y)

Edit:- J2 next to a split Type 2.

View attachment 89803

Crikey Paul - when my chap went to work in delivering for the Parts department of a local large BMC dealers in about 1970 - they were driving J4s THEN !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back