Product reviews, are they truthful ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The retailer I purchased my Maxview Crank up has never ever published my review.. now you may say I was being too harsh on the product, but no matter, if they don't publish ALL reviews and let the buyer decide then it's bias, untruthful and of limited value..

So, do you read product reviews, how helpful are they and do they really publish the whole truth or only what they want us to hear ?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I read em but search the web and try to find out both sides of the story. :thumb:
Same here, It is possible to find the real truth on the web,if you have the time to look.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I am afraid I dont trust the people who publish reviews,, I think as you have said they only publish the good or on the fence type of critism,, And at the end of the day unless the review/poll is done by an independant body, they can print what they want..

I personally like to get thoughts from people that have purchased and used the item`s first hand..

As with this site it is a super way of finding out what works and what does`nt...

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There is a tendency for some magazine publishers to avoid critical reviews in case they upset the product owner.

We, like most of our competitors, send our genealogy data CDs to various magazines for review. Some time ago I was contacted by the editor of one magazine who wanted my opinion on a review which contained a negative comment on a minor aspect of one CD.

I said that I recognised that you can't please everyone all the time and I was only concerned that a review was fair and balanced and not deliberately vindictive (or gave dishonest praise) and that, so long as that was the case, I would (and could in all honesty) not object to publication.

Whether other companies would agree I don't know ::bigsmile:

Graham

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
If the products manufacturer pays the reviewer big bucks for adverts then the answer would be no unless the product is really tip top.

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
The trouble with all these user reviews is that you only really believe the bad ones, never quite sure if the good ones are true or faked. So subconciously(s?) one bad review can outweigh a dozen good reviews

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I tend to discount the best and worst reviews. The best might be faked, the worst might be from those with an agenda. the middle ground is probably nearest to the truth.

If I sold a product for a living and invited reviews on the web, I probably would not publish something really damning:Blush: but the odd lukewarm review gives validity to the good ones so I would allow those to stay, as long as they are very much in the minority.

In the USA people have been prosecuted for fake reviews of products they sell.

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
i always google product .did this when i wanted a crank up .camos plus came up the best i believe .did not find any bad reports .your old post came up a few times .:RollEyes:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
I tend to be rather sceptical about reviews generally, but the retailer Argos seems to include unfavourable as well as favourable reviews. As far as I know, only purchasers who have reserved an item online, and then actually collects the item, gets to review. I suppose it is one way they get feedback on their line of products.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I think that I have read to many reviews on products that I have already purchased and found them to be a load of rubbish, but that get a good review so now don't bother, I make up my own mind. I may be wrong but if the review is biased what's the difference.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think that I have read to many reviews on products that I have already purchased and found them to be a load of rubbish, but that get a good review so now don't bother, I make up my own mind. I may be wrong but if the review is biased what's the difference.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

That struck a memory with me Dave. Many years ago I read a Which? magazine report in which a particular product was slated. Can't remember what it was now but we had had one for a considerable time and had found it to be excellent.

Graham

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back