Product reviews, are they truthful ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scotjimland, Oct 9, 2009.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

The retailer I purchased my Maxview Crank up has never ever published my review.. now you may say I was being too harsh on the product, but no matter, if they don't publish ALL reviews and let the buyer decide then it's bias, untruthful and of limited value..

So, do you read product reviews, how helpful are they and do they really publish the whole truth or only what they want us to hear ?

2. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

I read em but search the web and try to find out both sides of the story. :thumb:

3. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Same here, It is possible to find the real truth on the web,if you have the time to look.:thumb:

4. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

I am afraid I dont trust the people who publish reviews,, I think as you have said they only publish the good or on the fence type of critism,, And at the end of the day unless the review/poll is done by an independant body, they can print what they want..

I personally like to get thoughts from people that have purchased and used the item`s first hand..

As with this site it is a super way of finding out what works and what does`nt...

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

There is a tendency for some magazine publishers to avoid critical reviews in case they upset the product owner.

We, like most of our competitors, send our genealogy data CDs to various magazines for review. Some time ago I was contacted by the editor of one magazine who wanted my opinion on a review which contained a negative comment on a minor aspect of one CD.

I said that I recognised that you can't please everyone all the time and I was only concerned that a review was fair and balanced and not deliberately vindictive (or gave dishonest praise) and that, so long as that was the case, I would (and could in all honesty) not object to publication.

Whether other companies would agree I don't know :BigGrin:

Graham

6. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

If the products manufacturer pays the reviewer big bucks for adverts then the answer would be no unless the product is really tip top.

7. 6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy Read Only Funster

The trouble with all these user reviews is that you only really believe the bad ones, never quite sure if the good ones are true or faked. So subconciously(s?) one bad review can outweigh a dozen good reviews

8. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I tend to discount the best and worst reviews. The best might be faked, the worst might be from those with an agenda. the middle ground is probably nearest to the truth.

If I sold a product for a living and invited reviews on the web, I probably would not publish something really damning:Blush: but the odd lukewarm review gives validity to the good ones so I would allow those to stay, as long as they are very much in the minority.

In the USA people have been prosecuted for fake reviews of products they sell.

9. dshague

dshague Funster

i always google product .did this when i wanted a crank up .camos plus came up the best i believe .did not find any bad reports .your old post came up a few times .:RollEyes:

10. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

I tend to be rather sceptical about reviews generally, but the retailer Argos seems to include unfavourable as well as favourable reviews. As far as I know, only purchasers who have reserved an item online, and then actually collects the item, gets to review. I suppose it is one way they get feedback on their line of products.

11. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

I think that I have read to many reviews on products that I have already purchased and found them to be a load of rubbish, but that get a good review so now don't bother, I make up my own mind. I may be wrong but if the review is biased what's the difference.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

That struck a memory with me Dave. Many years ago I read a Which? magazine report in which a particular product was slated. Can't remember what it was now but we had had one for a considerable time and had found it to be excellent.

Graham