Problems with my trip to Switzerland (1 Viewer)

Romatone

Free Member
Dec 7, 2012
Sible Hedingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since July 2012
Have arrived in Grindelwald for a couple of weeks skiing. This has been my first trip in the Hymer in the Winter. On my way down un be known to me the Boiler Dump switch had vibrated down and allowed and as I think allowed a certain amount of water to escape. I stayed in what I can say was the worst campsite just outside Arlon at around 7 pm and reversed into the allocated spot, too late to put levellers under I decided to sleep on the slope. In the morning I woke up cold and found not only had the boiler gone out but I also had no 12 volt. It was around 6 am and as I had no idea as to what had gone i was wondering whether to turn round and go home. Forward to Grindelwald was approx 330 miles and home about 400. I decided to go on, I reached the Eigernordwand campsite about 6pm in a snow blizzard. After hooking up and dumping all water that was left in the tanks, i case of freezing up. I put on both small oil heaters and and small fan, trusting that I was not going to blow the trip, fortunately it didn't. In the morning I refilled the tank but could get no water through the hot tap, not a drip.frightened to ignite the boiler I made a very wise move, I spoke to Scott at Brownhills and he explained that in losing the water and with the boiler trying to run the built in safety cut had worked and to go to the main display and it would give me power again. I explained I had refilled the tank but could get no water through the ' Hot Tap' he explained he was certain that this was an airlock and just leave it open. After about 15 mins it started to come through the relief was so over whelming I had down a couple of beers. I have not got back to Scott yet but if anybody knows him tell there's a very grateful ' motor homer ' in Switzerland singing his praises.i probably should have used it a lot more before this rather big adventure but I am learning....the very hard way.Whilst in no way could I recommend the Arlon site. The Eignordwand I excellent if not a little expensive but you have the rather nice benefit of being able to ski in and out of the camp. Must go now I Pad battery low. Will probably need more help before this trip ends. Bye for now Romatone

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Hang in there. I'm sure all will come right for you.
There's no better training than "on the job" training to make you learn fast ::bigsmile:.

Hope you have better luck and enjoy the rest of your stay. :thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Sounds like you are having a adventure, always a learning curve on your trips abroad, enjoy. :Smile: and keep the reports coming.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
I stayed in what I can say was the worst campsite just outside Arlon
can you name the camp for fellow travelers please