problems with brand new motorhome (1 Viewer)

nannyjan

Free Member
Mar 22, 2010
Forest of Dean, Glos
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
New end of March 2010
:cry:Could anyone advise at what point do you decide to give up on your new motorhome because of so many problems and demand a new one? Has anyone actually demanded a new replacement motorhome and succeeded. I bought my brand new motorhome just over 3 weeks ago and I have had so many problems. The water gauge has stopped working telling me it is full when I know it is EMPTY. Just discovered a lovely big dent on the roof along with two others noticed on handover by the door. Overspray discovered on majority of cab and waterleak discovered on hand over has resulted in vinyl lifting and chip board surround swelling. The list is longer but I won't bore you with all the details. I am already so fond of my motorhome but I must not let my heart rule my head. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Keep Smiling even though it is difficult sometimes!!!!!!!!:cry:

don

Free Member
Apr 27, 2008
hingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13 years
Hi, If its realy as bad as you say, I would take it back and refuse to accept it and demand a new one, This is only my opinion and may not be legely correct.
Don.

jeffscarborough

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Scarborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Sorry to hear about your problems. I hope you get it sorted out.

I did lots of research before buying mine and concluded that I needed to buy German.
Either Hobby or Dethleffs.
I got a better deal on the Dethleffs.

Its just been for its 1st service at one year old and 7,000 miles, no faults at all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
your contract of sale is with the supplying dealer......dont hold your breath for a new replacement but dont let it pass by without putting up a fight.
i dont think the minor faults like overspray and water gauge will carry any clout as they are easily fixed but serious water ingress will count as a major fault.

sale of goods act states goods must be fit for purpose, which your van plainly isnt.

citizens advice center would be a good start to find out your best course of action and you get a free 1/2hr with a solicitor if you ask.

make an appointment asap.

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
Jeffscarborough you have`nt been clever in buying your perfect motorhome just lucky!
Now to the original question, unfortunately motorhomes (and caravans) are awash with stories like this. Put your findings in WRITING to the dealer and speak with them regards problems guage the reaction and give them the opportunity to correct the issue, its not easy to reject a vehicle particularily as you seem to have been aware of the dents near the door and water leaking. Try to be firm, persistent but pleasant, don`t go shouting the odds, you can bet the dealer knows more about what he can get away with than you do.
Thats Stage 1 perhaps somebody else can give advice on Stage 2 if above fails!

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Hi Nannyjan,

I would add,

Any letters send recorded delivery.

Consult Trading standards, as well as C.A.C. as pappajohn suggests. Trading standards will provide a template letter for you to complete.

An independent inspection may be needed, but hopefully not, as the courts route will take a long time.....if you can resolve it locally, parhaps a solicitors letter will deliver satisfaction.

Good luck

Nomadic

first5

Free Member
Apr 11, 2009
Newcastle upon Tyne
Funster No
Exp
Have a look at Link Removed. There should be 2 templates for letters of complaint. One for dealer and another if you paid using Credit Card as it is their problem as well. Speak to dealer in person and try for replacement but have letter in your pocket if they don't want to play. I am led to believe that an e-mail of the letter is also as good as recorded delivery. Also give consumer direct a ring, they are very helpful.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
:cry:Could anyone advise at what point do you decide to give up on your new motorhome because of so many problems and demand a new one? Has anyone actually demanded a new replacement motorhome and succeeded. I bought my brand new motorhome just over 3 weeks ago and I have had so many problems. The water gauge has stopped working telling me it is full when I know it is EMPTY. Just discovered a lovely big dent on the roof along with two others noticed on handover by the door. Overspray discovered on majority of cab and waterleak discovered on hand over has resulted in vinyl lifting and chip board surround swelling. The list is longer but I won't bore you with all the details. I am already so fond of my motorhome but I must not let my heart rule my head. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Keep Smiling even though it is difficult sometimes!!!!!!!!:cry:

Hi,

Water guages can be notoriously inacurate but it sounds as though yours has just stopped working, not a drama to fix however.

As to overspray, there should not be any, neither should there be dents.................

The chip board will need replacing as it will never go back to its original shape and the leak..............

Peter

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi keep records of everything written and anything said :thumb: Get anything promised in writing :thumb: REMEMBER NOTHING IS SAID THAT CANNOT BE WRITTEN :thumb: be PLEASANT WITH YOUR DEALER his co-operation is a must to get any satisfaction from the maker.
terry

Dave'N'Mags

Free Member
Apr 17, 2009
Funster No
In our experience, the chance of getting complete satisafaction from a dealer, never mind rejecting a new van, is absolutely nil.

We bought ours in April 2009. Had minor problems on first lengthy holiday (late May bank holiday week in Scotland). Back to dealer - not 100% sorted. Over to Slovenia (a LONG WAY) in August - electrics copletely die. To cut a long story short, problems, although sorted, not completely to our satisfaction, even now (control panel still not working properly), but dealer doesnt give a s**t. Wont even return our calls now.

Please God, dont say you bought from Discover..........

Mags

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
your contract of sale is with the supplying dealer......dont hold your breath for a new replacement but dont let it pass by without putting up a fight.
i dont think the minor faults like overspray and water gauge will carry any clout as they are easily fixed but serious water ingress will count as a major fault.
sale of goods act states goods must be fit for purpose, which your van plainly isnt.citizens advice center would be a good start to find out your best course of action and you get a free 1/2hr with a solicitor if you ask.
make an appointment asap.

Correct papajohn, however, the manufacturer does have much influence over the supplier. If you can prove a sound case of not fit for purpose due to a manufacturing defect then prove that to someone who can influence the decision of the dealer, this is what the dealer is going to have to prove before he gets any recompense from the manufacturer.
I did this and had a vehicle replaced six months after purchase.:thumb:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
sorry to here of your delema, but if you need a inspection doing these people are very good

Link Removed not cheap, but very good

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back