Problem with leisure batteries (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Then until you see a qualified person put 10 amp in each fuse holder and fingers crossed. It may be that someone replace them at some stage with whatever fuse they had at the time.
Are you crossing into Spain at any stage?
We're in Spain just now. Between San Sebastian and Bilbao. Planning to cross over towards Catalunia in a couple of days.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
We're in Spain just now. Between San Sebastian and Bilbao. Planning to cross over towards Catalunia in a couple of days.
If you are making your way down towards Alicante area, I can recommend a place to visit to have your MH looked at. There is also a mobile chap that that calls into camp sites who will also look at your MH.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
In that case, I would bet one cable is charging your leisure batteries (These are both connected to each other) and the other is charging your Cab battery.
You will know for certain when it is looked at by a competent person.
Safe Travels.

I may have solved this riddle about the second cable.

http://sargentshop.co.uk/epages/eshop328964.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eshop328964/Products/WB1028

This is the solar panel controller, factory fitted by Autotrail when they built my motorhome. You will note there are two connections (cables) one from the solar panel and one to the leisure battery. It may be as simple as this and can quickly be established with a volt meter and hopefully the correct fuse size confirmed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
If you are making your way down towards Alicante area, I can recommend a place to visit to have your MH looked at. There is also a mobile chap that that calls into camp sites who will also look at your MH.
That's great. We'll more than likely get down that way so will get back to you for details then. Thanks so much.

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I may have solved this riddle about the second cable.

http://sargentshop.co.uk/epages/eshop328964.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eshop328964/Products/WB1028

This is the solar panel controller, factory fitted by Autotrail when they built my motorhome. You will note there are two connections (cables) one from the solar panel and one to the leisure battery. It may be as simple as this and can quickly be established with a volt meter and hopefully the correct fuse size confirmed.

That looks different to ours but it's the same idea I'm sure. 10amp fuse in at the moment and it's pumping life into the batteries. The last owner replaced several fuses with tiny ones. No idea why. The issue still remains that they drop rather quickly at night so it looks like they;re on their way out. I read the article about batteries and it was very helpful - thanks.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
My pleasure.

It may be as simple as you think, a wrong fuse has been put in which keeps blowing hence no current going to the leisure batteries from the solar panel, result - buggered leisure batteries . This would make sense if you were of hook up for long periods. Once back on hook up the on board charger would put a charge into the batteries and they would indicate 13.7-14.4 which would be the charging current and not the actual battery condition/state, which can easily mislead people, as they think the batteries are fully charged.
Once you have this problem solved, try and keep your batteries above 80%. It's OK to go as low as 50% but no lower. You should achieve this with a good set of Leisure batteries, an efficient working solar panel and occasional hook up to get you that added boost. Oh! and a lot of sun!
Safe Travels.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back