Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
We have a problem:cry: with our Thetford fridge, it is one of the smart models that switches supply, this one is too smart & turns off. What is happening is it won't stay lit on the gas. I have taken the cover off the outside & I can see that it is lighting but after about 30 secs it goes off with the error message 9. The gas is full & it is propane, it seems to light ok bu it is as if the sensor isn't detecting the flame. It is a problem in that I am writing this on the ferry on our way to Dunkirk, the van is a new van & it was working ok when we last tried it. Hoping to get to somewhere tonight with a hook up but wondered if anybody knows any simple solution as I can try until I can get to a service agent for Thetford, I have downloaded a list of the French ones.

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
We have a problem:cry: with our Thetford fridge, it is one of the smart models that switches supply, this one is too smart & turns off. What is happening is it won't stay lit on the gas. I have taken the cover off the outside & I can see that it is lighting but after about 30 secs it goes off with the error message 9. The gas is full & it is propane, it seems to light ok bu it is as if the sensor isn't detecting the flame. It is a problem in that I am writing this on the ferry on our way to Dunkirk, the van is a new van & it was working ok when we last tried it. Hoping to get to somewhere tonight with a hook up but wondered if anybody knows any simple solution as I can try until I can get to a service agent for Thetford, I have downloaded a list of the French ones.

Seems like it is what they call the thermocouple that is the little finger that sticks out into the flame it expands and the other end then holds the main gas valve open, here is apic of one

224818THERMOCOUPLEGAS-WATERHEATERFU.jpg

No real solution except to replace it I think no other way to hold the gas valve open, besides this is a safety device.

Regards Pat

OP
OP
Kon tiki

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
I was thinking it was possibly this, but it's not like the old type of thermocouple. This one seems to be a wire & I think it generates a small current to keep the valve opening. I know on my last van I had a similar problem but with that you had to hold the switch in to get it to light, when you let go the thermocouple keeps it lit. With that it was possible to jam the control knob in to keep the fridge lit until we got to a dealer. With this fridge it's all electronic, I was wondering if anybody knew how to override the thermocouple until we find a service center. I have a list of the French ones & there is one at Le Touquet but I don't know if they will be open until Monday. We were going to see if the aire at Le Touquet is open as they used to have electric hook ups there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have a list of the French ones & there is one at Le Torquet but I don't know if they will be open until Monday. We were going to see if the aire at Le Torquet is open as they used to have electric hook ups there..

Hi

I'm afraid the ehu at Le Touquet is off during the winter, we were there in Oct 08 when it was tuned of.. the other aire at the yacht marina has no ehu

There is a large motorhome dealer close to Le Touquet air port, right beside the passenger terminal car park.

There is no way of overriding the thermocouple, my only suggestion is to check the tip is right in the hottest part of the flame.. but I rather suspect it's the electronic board that's faulty, I've read quite a few posts with this issue..

Don't know if this is any help, but the aire at Honfluer has 16a ehu all year..

good luck

Jim

OP
OP
Kon tiki

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Pity about Le Touquet, there is an aire listed for the dealer Opal Evision & it shows electric but I'm not sure if that will be open. Honfluer is a bit far but I think Le Treport is open all year & thats only about 6euros.
I suspected it wouldn't be a simple thing to override the thermocouple, just annoying that we have the freezer full, I'm not sure how long it will last if we don't open it, when we boarded the ferry it was -9, the other option is to stick it outside because it's freezing at the moment.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Pity about Le Touquet, there is an aire listed for the dealer Opal Evision & it shows electric but I'm not sure if that will be open.

That is the dealer, there used to be an aire beside him but it's now closed .. however, he may let your park up overnight with a hook up if your having the fridge looked at, there was plenty of parking space at the workshop..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

nozzel

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Birmingham West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class & RV US
Exp
43 years
AIRE DE :
LE TOUQUET