Problem With Central Locking

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ianhyslop, May 11, 2015.

1. ianhyslop

ianhyslop Funster

I have a Bessacarrr 454 and I need some advice , when the central locking is activated both cabin doors lock as they should but the habitation door doesn't lock , it has to be locked manually. All help , advice would be welcome .

2. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I'm not aware that the habitation door on these is linked to the central locking of the cab ... are you sure it has this facility?

3. rosalan

rosalan Funster

The habitation door is not usually linked to the van manufacturers system, which is a shame and could be of benefit.

4. golly

golly Funster

I had an Autosleeper with this problem, gave the contacts a clean with alcohol wipe which seemed to solve it. Another cause may be that the door has dropped slightly on the hinges, may need adjusting, assuming of course that the door is linked to the central locking.:)

5. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

You may want to check the wires at the bottom of the door, they can wear and fracture.

6. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

We have a 454.
    I'm assuming you mean when you press the middle button on the keyfob @ianhyslop ? Has it only just stopped working? (I can't help, but these are questions others might ask!)
    Without checking, Him Indoors thinks that central locking from in the cab doesn't include the hab door.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  7. WillH

WillH Funster

Our Bessacarr E560 has central locking that includes the habitation door. From new it didn't work properly, not unlocking when the key fob was used. The dealer failed to fix it under warranty so I took the door apart myself and discovered a bent/broken spring on the locking mechanism. Repaired and worked ever since, some 4 years now.

8. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

If anything like my Rapido? If the hab door has been unlocked with the key rather than the fob it won't lock again with the fob until you turn the lock back with the key first.

9. frogijock

frogijock Funster

I had a problem with my Laika hab door not locking, if you look at the bottom of the hab door hinge side, you may see a rubber type tube peel back the tube and check if the wire inside has broken, if so splice the two broken ends together this should fix it

10. ianhyslop

ianhyslop Funster

First let me thank you all for taking the time to reply , the habitation door is linked into licking mechanism . Now I am going to look at all your solutions and try them .

11. Gosport Tim

Gosport Tim Funster

Ian, I had the same problem with our autotrail Apache last year and it turned out to be a fuse (we have a seperate fuse box behind the drivers seat which has the mini auto fuses and covers things the toilet waterpump, electric step etc) could be something to look for.

12. trophychap

trophychap Funster

On our old 425 we used to have to shut the door quite hard to get the central locking to work. If we didn't it used to make all the right clunking noises but not lock properly. Consequently we always checked the door was locked by yanking on the handle.

It obviously became an ingrained habit as two years on I still do it on the Pilote.

13. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Oooo ... can I have a 'licking' mechanism! :p Sounds like fun ....

ooo-er .... just realised that could be interpreted as being rather rude! :oops:

• Like Like x 3
  14. Linda Watt

Linda Watt Read Only Funster

HELP! Our Central locking has been a problem since new we bought our Bailey in 2012.....been at dealers every year for habitation check and they always say it's fixed....NOT! Last trip away the locking system opened and shut itself all night and through the day.....'CLONK CLICK CLONK CLICK'!!!! Came home complained again to the Bailey dealer and he panned us off and said it was Peagouts fault take it to a Peugot garage. They couldn't takes us so we took it to our local garage....it's been there 4 days they have tried everything and are stumped. He's now looking into the Cobra alarm which our dealer was supposed to check the last time it was there??? My husband thought this locking problem usually happened when our engine battery was flat and after driving a few hours the locking system seemed to be ok.....but last trip away as I say it went all the time! Any Help on this matter would be much appreciated so I can pass on to our local garage guys!

15. MikeD

MikeD Funster

We had the same problem with our Autotrail.

There should be a pair of contacts on the door frame and a matching contact strip. I suspect one is corroded - cleaned ours with a bit of scotchbrite and now works a treat. (y)

16. Linda Watt

Linda Watt Read Only Funster

Thank you for that info.....I will pass this on to the guys at the garage. Our door is a problem too blown back on the hinges a few times and the wires at the bottom of the door were cut....but this has been fixed too? So we're still puzzled!