LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi again, Mike has just installed the invertor and socket into our new motorhome and there are only 192 volts coming out of the invertor. It is a 600 watt invertor.

Do invertors loose power over time, or can anyone suggest where the missing 48 volts might be??? He has checked and double checked all the connections.

Ginny

leeks

Free Member
Sep 23, 2009
northumberland
Funster No
Exp
3 years
Problem with my inverter. 1500 watt, but will not heat up "stuff" in a 900watt microwave.

Leeks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
your microwave will need a lot more power than 900w to 'start up' ...maybe twice that...so the invertor may not be big enough.

That's interesting John because I may have a similar problem.

I bought a 300w inverter (rating supposedly big enough) to use with the chargers for our electric bikes. When the charger is plugged in it is supposed to show a red light which then changes to green when full battery charge is reached. It does that correctly when plugged into the mains but when the inverter is used the charger shows a green light with flickering red. There is no power rating information label on the charger. Could it be that it is not receiving sufficient "kick" to start the charging process?

The inverter seems to work fine with lower powered appliances, including an Aldi Dremel type drill rated at 165 watts.

Graham

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
:ROFLMAO:guys n galls ,,, first did u use the right size cable to run it from,,hmmm no i guess u used what came in the box,, [ no good ] u need thicker cable, then connect it to the batts direct,,auto elec will tell u this,,i had same prob now on a 800 i can run a 22 inch flat screen tv and micro at same time,, but batts wont like it at all ,, phone auto elec he will put u right i use a guy called arthur in woking company called [ ses ] goldsworth rd hes on holls at moment but back soon,, :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::thumb::thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
There is no power rating information label on the charger.
Graham

Have you got one of those Wh measuring plugs to measure or try to measure the load. They don't measure surges though.

If your battery is the "normal" 24V 10Ah and it charges at 10A then you are mighty close to the inverter rating.

We've got a 300W pure sine wave you can try next meet.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks Brian. I haven't got a measuring plug but thought it might be the case that I was demanding just a bit too much from the inverter. The battery being charged is 24v Lithium Ion.

The inverter is made by ZNT - like This One - which I bought from a trader at the Cheshire show. I had it attached by the supplied crocodile clips to a fully charged battery on the bench in the garage.

I was wondering whether it might be best to just cut my losses and buy a higher rated inverter locally - maybe Link Removed from Maplins or Link Removed from Machine Mart.

Graham

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
pure sin wave

Thanks Brian. I haven't got a measuring plug but thought it might be the case that I was demanding just a bit too much from the inverter. The battery being charged is 24v Lithium Ion.

The inverter is made by ZNT - like This One - which I bought from a trader at the Cheshire show. I had it attached by the supplied crocodile clips to a fully charged battery on the bench in the garage.

I was wondering whether it might be best to just cut my losses and buy a higher rated inverter locally - maybe Link Removed from Maplins or Link Removed from Machine Mart.

Graham

I use a sterling 1500 watt pure sin wave invertor in my Winnibago Aspect. I have to domestic batteries 85 amp each and I run 240v tv 26" no problem, I can charge the batteries on my two buggies no problem. I have also a NASA panel that shows the amps / volts / charge and discharge and what is in the batteries (left) very useful item. I have serious cables from the invertor to the batteries. If you want to have a look at the set up at Bath & West or Lincoln just let me know. Give you an idea what you can and cannot do with an invertor. I do normally run my microwave via the generator via the 110v system as it has a start up of 1700 watts and runs around 1200 watts. - Same with the roof air con... draws to much from the batteries.. so the batteries mainly run lights, tv / dvd and take 240 v via the invertor when connected to a site hook up.. the invertor also is a battery charger.

more info to think about

Bob

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Graham

The odd thing about that link is the data sheet says 51-100W, might be just a bad bit of cut and paste.

Maplin are good at returns, so you could try that. Note: "not suitable for florescent lights or inductive loads". In other words cheap and cheerful non sine wave as shown in their data sheet.

Machine Mart pretty much the same but I don't know their return policy.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
lots of differance in price between types

The odd thing about that link is the data sheet says 51-100W, might be just a bad bit of cut and paste.

Maplin are good at returns, so you could try that. Note: "not suitable for florescent lights or inductive loads". In other words cheap and cheerful non sine wave as shown in their data sheet.

Machine Mart pretty much the same but I don't know their return policy.

You will find there is a lot of differance between the price of a pure sin wave and a modified. Sterling in there paperwork give a lot of comparisions and it is interesting to note that often a maker says it is the 1000 version or 2000 version but that has little to do with the actual amount that the unit can handle. You need a pure sin wave to get the best tv picture as it irons out the lines, same on a computer it gives clean power from the battery. It is all in reading the specification. You need lots of spare juice when you use one. Microwaves draw a lot of start up power but settle back when running. But that can be the case with many items via an inverter.

It is a case of heavy leads to the battery and a unit that is man enough to do the job

Bob

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Never noticed that Brian. It's the same on the 150 & 200 so could be just bad editing but the 400W & 500W models have a 301 - 400W output power & the 600W & 1000W models have 500 - 1000W.

It's definitely got me wondering whether 300W is a theoretical maximum for this model.

I see that the Machine Mart one says "Provides power for power tools, small electrical appliances, laptops, printers hi-fi equipment, camcorders, lighting, trickle charge units, mobile phones, tv`s, fax machines etc. " (my emphasis) so I might just go and have a word with them. We'll be over that way tomorrow.

Graham

leeks

Free Member
Sep 23, 2009
northumberland
Funster No
Exp
3 years
I use a sterling 1500 watt pure sin wave invertor in my Winnibago Aspect. I have to domestic batteries 85 amp each and I run 240v tv 26" no problem, I can charge the batteries on my two buggies no problem. I have also a NASA panel that shows the amps / volts / charge and discharge and what is in the batteries (left) very useful item. I have serious cables from the invertor to the batteries. If you want to have a look at the set up at Bath & West or Lincoln just let me know. Give you an idea what you can and cannot do with an invertor. I do normally run my microwave via the generator via the 110v system as it has a start up of 1700 watts and runs around 1200 watts. - Same with the roof air con... draws to much from the batteries.. so the batteries mainly run lights, tv / dvd and take 240 v via the invertor when connected to a site hook up.. the invertor also is a battery charger.

We will be at Lincoln, appreciate any advice

Leeks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back