LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Never have my camera when I need it. Anyhoo here is a pic from my phone taken at the supermarket at Nontron. A real beauty must 4" from wing tip to wing tip. :thumb:

Attachments

• Privet Hawk Moth.jpg
    Privet Hawk Moth.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 52

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
This flew in last night, dont know what its called

Broken Link Removed

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
This flew in last night, dont know what its called

View attachment 19434

It's a Poplar Hawk moth.

We had some friends staying last week and he brought along his home made moth trap .... I was totally amazed at the huge variety,quantity and size of moths which visited the trap including a number a number of Privet Hawk moths, an Elephant Hawk moth, a couple of Buff-tips, a Poplar Hawk moth and dozens more.

I had no idea there were so many varieties that we hardly ever see being that they are nocturnal but am now considering getting my own trap.

The main reason for their visit to us in Norfolk was to see Swallowtail butterflies which we did in good quantities at Hickling Broad Nature Reserve.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
What is thetrap like& does it harm them?

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
It's a Poplar Hawk moth.

We had some friends staying last week and he brought along his home made moth trap .... I was totally amazed at the huge variety,quantity and size of moths which visited the trap including a number a number of Privet Hawk moths, an Elephant Hawk moth, a couple of Buff-tips, a Poplar Hawk moth and dozens more.

I had no idea there were so many varieties that we hardly ever see being that they are nocturnal but am now considering getting my own trap.

The main reason for their visit to us in Norfolk was to see Swallowtail butterflies which we did in good quantities at Hickling Broad Nature Reserve.:thumb:

A friend lent us his trap made of a light inside a cardboard box the box then filled with egg boxes and we were totally amazed at how many we caught. They were not harmed at all. Some are really quite beautiful.

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
My son bought me a moth trap for a birthday three years ago, and what a revelation!! The hawkmoths featured earlier are surprisingly quite common, and given their size, how come I'd never seen one before I started moth-trapping??!!! How can you miss one of those flying around?
But for anybody who has an interest in wildlife and photography, moth-trapping is an excellent way of combining the two. All the little "brown" things turn out to sport a whole myriad of colours. Here's another "fairly common" one - This is a garden tiger - I caught two of these only this week on the same night....

Broken Link Removed

.... For those interested, there's a whole lot more here - all caught in my own garden ...
Broken Link Removed

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We get a lot of the white ermines and cinnabars here.
The white ermines are really fuzzy with brown speckles on them, quite pretty as moths go:Smile:

Link Removed

Broken Link Removed
White ermine

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back