private hgv on motorhome V5 ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Welsh girl, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

Hi all I have just read the V5 from the new van we are getting and it reads PRIVATE HGV, does that mean I cant drive it as I dont have a HGV licence nor does hubby, he gave his licence up years ago, he let it lapse when he was made redundant from work 10 years ago its a 4005k gross it says on the V5, can anyone help on this? thanks

2. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Same as a good many :)

You need a C1 endorsement on your licence ( anyone who passed their test pre 97 ( I think ! ) will have it by default.. )

If you do not have it you can apply and take a simple test to get it

3. lunarman

lunarman Funster

As long as you have class C1 on your driving licence you are OK. Anyone who passed their driving test before 1997 is automatically entitled to this. If after you have to take a supplementary test.

When you reach 70 you have to apply to keep it when you renew your licence and may need to have a medical to retain it.

Hope this is clear

Lunarman

4. wireman

wireman Read Only Funster

unless you are over 70 or have a notifiable issue ( like diabeties) then you can drive up to 7.5 ton on your licence unless it was after 1998 when you got it. Only newer drivers need to take a separate test.

5. Welsh girl

phew thats ok then I passed in 73 and hubby passed in 68. thanks guys

6. SpongeBobsDad

SpongeBobsDad Read Only Funster

I don`t think you need to worry if you got your licence before 1994 or thereabout you should be able to drive vehicles up to 7500 tonnes

7. Madmike

Madmike Read Only Funster

Hi Trica,
    If you passed your driving test before 1997 you can drive any vehicle up to a maximum weight of 7.5 tons plus pull a trailer. If you passed after that date you are limited to 3.5 tons and must take another test to gain the extra enlitlement.

Private HGV on your V5 is because your van is over 3.5 tons MAM (maximum authorised mass)
    Plus its good because it does not get involved in the emissions road tax sliding scale. Vans such as ours are charged at a flat rate of £165.

Be aware that if you are over seventy that you will require a stricter medical certificate from your doctor to keep the 7.5 ton entitlement.
    Regards,
    Mad Mike

8. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

Whoa, hold on a minute, if the van's over 3500kgs it should have a taxation class of Private HGV and that sets the tax at £165 a year????

Ours is 6731kgs and down as PLG and tax just cost me £200 (ish).....

Sorry, blatant hijack:Blush:

9. Madmike

Hi Dodgey,
    Yep that's right. The thing is it depends on how the vehicle was registered with DVLA when new. Sometimes if it was a small lorry or a van first, then the road tax is decided by the emissions rather than by the MAM of the van. Worth looking into re-registering your van. I belive its not too hard.
    Regard,
    The Mad One:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

10. Welsh girl

how come then the bigger the van the smaller the road fund licence?

11. Welsh girl

why would I want to re-register the van when it is cheaper on the road tax? would there be any benefit and it is registered new 08.04.10

12. Madmike

One of lifes' little mysteries.:Rofl1: I think its a throw back to those who used to have big wagons to move fair ground equipment and horses around. What ever you do don't tell your MP or all will be lost.:cry::cry:
    Regards,
    Mike

13. Madmike

You wouldn't the post was directed to Dodgey not to yourself. Sorry for the confussion.:RollEyes::RollEyes:
    Regards.
    Mike

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  14. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

I must look into this then, it might only be £35 but better in my pocket than thieving Brown and co.

Our van is a Winne Brave, '95 so I guess at registration the weight wasn't declared.

15. Madmike

"I must look into this then, it might only be £35 but better in my pocket than thieving Brown and co.

Our van is a Winne Brave, '95 so I guess at registration the weight wasn't declared. "

Hi Dodgey,
    I tatally agree with you re Brown and Co, however whoever you vote for at this election you will still end up with governement.:cry::cry::cry:

Your Winnie was made in the USA and privately imported into the UK.
    Who ever filled in the registration form put it in the taxation class of PLG instead of Private HGV. They must be shot at dawn ASAP.:shout::shout:
    It must be described as a Motor Caravan in the body type.
    Let us know how you get on with the change to your taxation class.
    Regards,
    Mad Mike:Sad::Sad::Sad:

16. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

Variously yes...

Rest of reg seems OK, motorcaravan etc so just that. Just had a goof around and other posts on the subject indicate a trip to DVLA local office with paperwork etc, but I'll probably make a call tomorrow and get the fine details. We've got all Winne's paperwork, then there's the vin plate, it's a piece of card stuck to the door:Rofl1:
    and lets face it no one in thier right mind could believe a 28ft A class american motorhome weighs 3500kgs:Rofl1::Rofl1:

17. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

thats right dodgy...a trip to dvla local office.
    i got a cert of confomity from alko via swift for mine so it was no problem....mind you i havent got my V5 back yet dispite phoning them about it.

you may have to go to a weighbridge and get it certified but im not 100% on that.

it could be straight forward as you have all the paperwork to hand.

18. navman

navman Read Only Funster

However.... Keep an eye on you licence if you have to send it into DVLA for an address change etc. They have been known to wipe off C1s if you are not careful.

Always keep a copy when you send it off..

19. Madmike

Wow Now that's a licence:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

20. schojac

schojac Read Only Funster

I recently had this problem with my Autotrail being registered as PLG which at max 3500kg was a joke. Changing from PLG to PHGV is not as straignt forward as you might think. To be honest DVLA do not know how to get around this easily and different people have different suggestions.

Having your MH registered as PLG has no real ill effects until vosa pull you and check your weight (an increasing occurence apparently) then the proverbial will hit the fan.

Suggestions checklist:
    picture of VIN plate and supplimentary plate showing increased MAW of 3850kgs, witnessed and signed by authorised garage.
    letter of conformity - thank you Paul Howes, Autotrail
    Weigh bridge tare weight - what for I've no idea
    V5, V14 etc
    Nice young lady at DVLA Peterborough

Sucess; just hope they don't lose the paperwork.

Thanks Papajohn for guidance and assistance

Jack