privacy in a motorhome

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by Welsh girl, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

Didn't know where this fitted so here goes..
    When in France I saw windows on a motorhome that had the same stuff on that some buses I travel on, you can see out of Windows but from the outside all is you can see is a huge advertising banner and you cannot see in the bus.
    I want some as our rear lounge is large and sunny and I want some privacy in there also some way to partly block out the sun without closing the Windows or blinds.
    Does anyone know where I can get this done on our motorhome?
    I approached a company about it but they said it can only be done onglasswindows.
    It was really effective on this motorhome in France, didn't ask the owner as he was French, language barrier and all that.

2. yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding Read Only Funster

I would guess it is a plastic material with very fine perforations. One of the companies which do vehicle "wraps" should be able to help. How permanent they are is uncertain.

3. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Hi Trish !

It is something very often done here in France! I'll have a look ASAP to see where you could get some , but unless you are really handy , it must be fitted by someone who knows the job! A lot of cars have this "plastic film" on. It is for privacy and to prevent from the heat too!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  4. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

I find the flyscreen part of the blind affords all the privacy we need. Don't think they do much to reduce heat though.

Steve

5. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

http://www.hellopro.fr/films-d-intimite-pour-les-vitres-2008682-fr-1-feuille.html

http://www.film-adhesif.com/

Here 2 links to show you . On the second one , click on the left video this one is for cars (or any other vehicle).

If you need help just ask away. If you want to know how much it would cost you give me in centimetres the dimensions of the window(s) you want to cover with this film.

PS; Just read that it prevents as well from quick break in. It is harder for thieves to breaking windows covered with this sort of film

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  6. buttons

buttons Funster

If a van parked next to me with one way glass I would be very suspicious of the occupants. They are either very shy or very nosy. A definite no no in my opinion.:Cool:

• Like Like x 1
  7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Yeh, but in your case it would be MI6 watching you.

• Like Like x 3
  8. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

CONTRAVISION is the stuff they use on bus advertising etc. These people are the UK agents http://www.williamsmith.co.uk/

(See if they have any off-cuts which might be suitable for your window (if you don't need it printed))

9. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi .this van had a silk screen print on black perforated plastiv . i stuck it on with double sided tape . there used to bea company going around the shows selling them . lots of designs . i chose this one as it blended in well and i like the sea. mind this was several years ago.
    from inside it was only slightly dark. you needed curtains at night as the light came through. but during the day great.

Attached Files:

10. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

You used to be able to buy this sort of sticky plastic that went on windows widely in the Uk.

You could get it in black or with mirror on the outside but you could see out of the windows from inside the vehicle.

Most of it however was illegal so please be careful. If the motorhome has a rear window and you put the stuff on it, police could stop you and insist you peel it off.

sorry to put a damper on what you have seen but would rather warn you before you spend out.

11. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

I tried this on windows in a house but the hot sun made them bubble.
    Plus I have made inquiries about using them on plastic windows and they company said that they wouldn't work on plastic windows.
    Thanks about the tip about police stopping you but surely with a motorhome it wouldn't count as many motorhomes dont have back windows anyway and have to rely on mirrors?

12. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

I have parked on site next to a MH or tugger with blacked out windows before-- I felt uneasy :Eeek: --felt I was parked by a prison van

• Like Like x 2
  13. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

There are strict laws about visibility of vehicle windows (must be - I think - 80% minimum) but it only applies to side and front windows as far as I know. Perhaps the glue on the film reacts with the plastic of the window causing problems?

• Like Like x 1
  14. cranky

cranky Funster

Yeah but just because your'e paranoid doesn't mean they aren't watching you:Eeek:

15. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

Made me laugh this, and then the thought struck me if it was MI6 they would have something inside the van anyway.

Most of this stuff is sold for on glass, not plastic, so test an area first in case of any chemical reaction if not sold for other than glass.

I don't think any blacked out or other advertising type material is banned as long as it is behind the driver, or buses would not be able to do it.

16. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

17. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi joner8888 sometimes i am parked next to a prison van when away .in fact usually am . heres my mates camper.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1