Princes Tastes, Paupers Pockets (1 Viewer)

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
not necessarily a scam as its for auction with 4 days to run price will only rise when someone bids
Just checked the MOT history for last 5 years. Not good news. Failed 4 out of 5 MOTs. Looks like it has not been well maintained and is suffering from excessive tin worm.
Broken Link Removed (It's a Peugeot)

Jackyboy61

Free Member
Jun 6, 2014
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Try telling these dealers that they hold there prices when you come to part ex your van,they love to insult you with the lowest price they can and want the highest price for there vans ,last shower of rain comes to mind.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Try telling these dealers that they hold there prices when you come to part ex your van,they love to insult you with the lowest price they can and want the highest price for there vans ,last shower of rain comes to mind.
So True,,,BUSBY.

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
Not only for the fact that this is where I,d be looking but also to show how much the hymers stand the test of time and to let you see the various layouts here is ,hopefully a link to mobile.De .Not suggesting you import but still an option.
Broken Link Removed

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Just checked the MOT history for last 5 years. Not good news. Failed 4 out of 5 MOTs. Looks like it has not been well maintained and is suffering from excessive tin worm.
Broken Link Removed (It's a Peugeot)

Can't help thinking what a marvel this interweb thingy is.
OK, so we have unearthed a Scam with some lowlife trying to get someone's hard earned dosh by deception but, because of the power of this marvel machine, he has been sussed and then, again because of what SWMBO calls her "Brain" we can see the history of a vehicle and as to it's basic soundness (or otherwise).

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
Motor homes hold their value...unless you try to sell it to a dealer. Then you get the old "Hmm, of course I can only offer you..." or the sharp intake of breath and "well it has a few scratches on it". Probably best bet is to buy privately and take someone along who is a mechanic/knows a bit abut moho's...

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
Ok, ok you buggers. You've rekindled my interest.....I hoped you would (hehehe). It seems that Hymer may well be a Marque to investigate further - not that I want to be blinkered you understand. Trouble is, looking at the internal shots of Triple 7's, the drop down bed is accessed via a 5 rung ladder! Watching my Mrs trying to negotiate that would be (hmmm) interesting!!!! Did Hymer produce a model around 20 years ago with a fixed bed to anyone's knowledge? Also can anyone point me to a website detailing models, specs and layouts from that era? Thanks in anticipation.

Dave

PS - Bacchus, my wife's an ABOVE knee amputee. That missing knee joint makes a helluva difference.
Our Chausson has the drop down bed. It comes down 2 levels, 1st one accessed by the ladder, the 2nd lower one I bring in the plastic step from outside and we can get into bed with not too much of a stretch. Maybe you'd be better looking at a fixed bed though?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Can't help thinking what a marvel this interweb thingy is.
OK, so we have unearthed a Scam with some lowlife trying to get someone's hard earned dosh by deception but, because of the power of this marvel machine, he has been sussed and then, again because of what SWMBO calls her "Brain" we can see the history of a vehicle and as to it's basic soundness (or otherwise).
This van is not a scam , it's there to be looked at, not like the one at the beginning, for someone who knows what they are doing , it's still a bargain , OK failed 4 tests but it must have been put right to eventually pass them, if it's damp free , a bit of rust underneath can be put right.
Most of my vehicles fail the first test , I take it in to see what it wants then do it, don't see any problem with that.
Edit, btw it is going dearer now, but still well in line.

Ginge3685

Free Member
Jun 5, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
K
Had I known how well MH's hold their value I doubt I would have bothered starting to look.

Three months of trawling the internet and visiting dealers has forced me to concede that my tastes far outweigh my (meagre) £10k budget. I haven't found anything I'd be happy to own. Well, there was one exception - a 22yo RV in need of some TLC, but a quick reality check on running costs soon kyboshed that dance with frivolity.

So, MH ownership is being placed squarely on the "wishful thinking" shelf. I'll still keep an eye open for that elusive bargain, but won't be committing anything like the effort of recent months.

Happy MHing all, I'll still be visiting the forum.

Dave

Ginge3685

Free Member
Jun 5, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
K
Had I known how well MH's hold their value I doubt I would have bothered starting to look.

Three months of trawling the internet and visiting dealers has forced me to concede that my tastes far outweigh my (meagre) £10k budget. I haven't found anything I'd be happy to own. Well, there was one exception - a 22yo RV in need of some TLC, but a quick reality check on running costs soon kyboshed that dance with frivolity.

So, MH ownership is being placed squarely on the "wishful thinking" shelf. I'll still keep an eye open for that elusive bargain, but won't be committing anything like the effort of recent months.

Happy MHing all, I'll still be visiting the forum.

Dave
2years ago I was in the same position but in the end we found a 1990 Pilote R850S needed a bit of TLC and £6000 got it we spent £2000 to reupholster and refurb the inside. Been to Scotland twice and love the van has done two MOTs with only minor issues . We are both on our 70s and mainly wild Camp.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
This van is not a scam , it's there to be looked at, not like the one at the beginning, for someone who knows what they are doing , it's still a bargain , OK failed 4 tests but it must have been put right to eventually pass them, if it's damp free , a bit of rust underneath can be put right.
Most of my vehicles fail the first test , I take it in to see what it wants then do it, don't see any problem with that.
Edit, btw it is going dearer now, but still well in line.

Sorry Chaser for not responding sooner to your comments.

Have a look again at my post and nowhere did I say that a particular van was a scam.
I said "We have unearthed a scam" That's all.

I don't mind criticism but the critique has to be accurate.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Sorry Chaser for not responding sooner to your comments.

Have a look again at my post and nowhere did I say that a particular van was a scam.
I said "We have unearthed a scam" That's all.

I don't mind criticism but the critique has to be accurate.
That's the second time today iv been picked up by people thinking I'm criticiseing them, I don't even look who made the post I just reply what I think about certain posts and as we were talking about the van I posted, I just pointed out it wasn't that one.
Sorry if I upset you , nothing was further from my mind.
I will have to brush up on my grammar:((y):)

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Personally I would be hesitant to discount a M/H just on the basis of MOT history, a few historical failures subsequently rectified is hardly the end of the world.

A suitable internal layout, absence of damp, and suitability for purpose rank high on my list of essentials. Commercial engines and gearboxes as used by (most) motorhomes are usually built for a long and arduous working life, remember you can fail an MOT just for having a blown bulb, a stretched handbrake cable, a knackered tyre or a blowing exhaust - it hardly means that it is at the end of its useful life

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
That's the second time today iv been picked up by people thinking I'm criticiseing them, I don't even look who made the post I just reply what I think about certain posts and as we were talking about the van I posted, I just pointed out it wasn't that one.
Sorry if I upset you , nothing was further from my mind.
I will have to brush up on my grammar:((y):)

No harm done. Rhino skin at this end. Appreciate your comments.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back