Princes Tastes, Paupers Pockets (1 Viewer)

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
Had I known how well MH's hold their value I doubt I would have bothered starting to look.

Three months of trawling the internet and visiting dealers has forced me to concede that my tastes far outweigh my (meagre) £10k budget. I haven't found anything I'd be happy to own. Well, there was one exception - a 22yo RV in need of some TLC, but a quick reality check on running costs soon kyboshed that dance with frivolity.

So, MH ownership is being placed squarely on the "wishful thinking" shelf. I'll still keep an eye open for that elusive bargain, but won't be committing anything like the effort of recent months.

Happy MHing all, I'll still be visiting the forum.

Dave

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
It's a shame you can't stretch to 14k as there is a great van and bargain in the classified at the moment, it might be worth having a punt with an offer...?
FOR SALE Hymer B594 , High Spec in great condition, only 70k miles

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
There are plenty of very good vans available in that price bracket but as with any motorhome, no matter what your budget, there is always a compromise of some kind to be made.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Had I known how well MH's hold their value I doubt I would have bothered starting to look.

Three months of trawling the internet and visiting dealers has forced me to concede that my tastes far outweigh my (meagre) £10k budget. I haven't found anything I'd be happy to own. Well, there was one exception - a 22yo RV in need of some TLC, but a quick reality check on running costs soon kyboshed that dance with frivolity.

So, MH ownership is being placed squarely on the "wishful thinking" shelf. I'll still keep an eye open for that elusive bargain, but won't be committing anything like the effort of recent months.

Dave
Look at the one @Triple7 MH has for sale looks great.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I agree with you, M/Hs certainly do hold their value. And perhaps that is more a reason for persisting with your search as opposed to putting your ambitions and dreams on the back shelf

A friend who gave me lots of advice before I took the leap into ownership made me sit down and analyse our expected use very thoroughly. In the end we went down from an excepted annual mileage of 15k to 8k, so running costs became less of a factor. There are only the two of us (cue Dr Evil rap) and as driveway space wasn't overly generous, that 8M size dropped to 6M. We weren't planning on much more than a week away from one driveway or another, so something more suited to a trans continental expedition was discounted. We are unlikely to cross deserts, ford rivers, climb mountains or cross glaciers, so we hardly needed a Unimog, and we have few expectations of seating six people around a dining table to consume a Sunday roast cooked in the crappy kind of ovens usually provided in most M/H. And we weren't buying to live in it or trying to impress anyone else, either.

There are some people for whom their M/H is their life. There are others to whom it is a status symbol. There are others who feel they need to be ready for all climates, all conditions. There are others whose ambition is merely a quiet relaxing cuppa in a nice place for a day/weekend out. Where you fit in terms of your expectations is a very personal issue.

Our expectations have been exceeded in terms of the M/H we ended up with, the flexibility it has given to our lives, the wonderful (usually) people we have met on the road and our enjoyment in simply working as a team in our travels. Our choice of M/H plays a very small part in the context of what it has contributed to our way of life, and we both wish we had done it years ago.

My advice to you is to review your needs carefully, and to make sure you are not being too ambitious for what you will be using it for, yet ambitious enough to keep the dream alive. There are some incredible bargains around, and the good people here will alert you to them.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Dave
Ten grand vans good enough for anything, you want one to use not to look at

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I agree with you, M/Hs certainly do hold their value. And perhaps that is more a reason for persisting with your search as opposed to putting your ambitions and dreams on the back shelf

A friend who gave me lots of advice before I took the leap into ownership made me sit down and analyse our expected use very thoroughly. In the end we went down from an excepted annual mileage of 15k to 8k, so running costs became less of a factor. There are only the two of us (cue Dr Evil rap) and as driveway space wasn't overly generous, that 8M size dropped to 6M. We weren't planning on much more than a week away from one driveway or another, so something more suited to a trans continental expedition was discounted. We are unlikely to cross deserts, ford rivers, climb mountains or cross glaciers, so we hardly needed a Unimog, and we have few expectations of seating six people around a dining table to consume a Sunday roast cooked in the crappy kind of ovens usually provided in most M/H. And we weren't buying to live in it or trying to impress anyone else, either.

There are some people for whom their M/H is their life. There are others to whom it is a status symbol. There are others who feel they need to be ready for all climates, all conditions. There are others whose ambition is merely a quiet relaxing cuppa in a nice place for a day/weekend out. Where you fit in terms of your expectations is a very personal issue.

Our expectations have been exceeded in terms of the M/H we ended up with, the flexibility it has given to our lives, the wonderful (usually) people we have met on the road and our enjoyment in simply working as a team in our travels. Our choice of M/H plays a very small part in the context of what it has contributed to our way of life, and we both wish we had done it years ago.

My advice to you is to review your needs carefully, and to make sure you are not being too ambitious for what you will be using it for, yet ambitious enough to keep the dream alive. There are some incredible bargains around, and the good people here will alert you to them.
Very nicely put :).

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009

You have a great way of expressing what I mean to say but seem to babble!!

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
With research, patience, vigilance and legwork, you'll find a great van for 10k.
Unless you're one of those who expects a 30k van for 10k :LOL:

What are you hoping to get ?
Van, coach built or A class ?

Edit *found this after a few minutes*
Perfect starter van

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I have just sold a 1996 Autosleeper Excelsior on a Transit with 70000 on the clock for £10000, it would take you anywhere and last for years. Guy i sold it to has just returned from 6 weeks trouble free touring of southern Spain,,Plenty of good vans for £10000.BUSBY.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
As with many walks of life we often have to start off at the poorer end and work our way up. Our first camper (bought in 1990) was a 1978 Bedford CF rising roof job with no furniture and no MOT for £100, a full week of welding got it through the MOT then six or so weeks of building furniture into it got us on the road and we haven't looked back. We followed that one with a 1983 CF, then a 1986 Freight Rover, all home converted. Next was a 1990 Highwayman (in my Avatar on the lift at work) which we completely re-skinned due to damp and refitted. That was followed by a 1996 Iveco Daily minibus again home converted by ourselves and that has now been replaced by a 2009 Ducato XLWB which we have (mostly) converted into a very comfortable camper van (still got to finish the washroom). So over 26 years we have gone from something that cost a few hundred quid (and was always worth a fair bit less) to something that is costing quite a few thousand and hopefully will be worth a few grand more although the main purpose is to have a vehicle that suits rather than to make any profit from it.

D.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
10k is plenty to get into motor homing. You can either run it and save for an upgrade or add the bits you want as time goes by.
The important thing is to get started with your dream rather than waiting to grow old without the experiences you desire.
Remember that life is not a dress rehearsal, live the dream

OP
OP
Cilfan

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
Many thanks for the prompt replies. I'll try to deal with all points raised in one post, so it may be a little lengthy.

Triple7's Hymer looks great and (I'm sure) will be a fantastic find for someone, but not me. Back when I was working - and with a "Live for today" attitude to money - I would have found a way to come up with the extra 4k. Now retired and living on a fixed income I can't afford the luxury of a "Devil may care" approach and a 40% hike in budget is a no go. I wouldn't dream of insulting the guy with an offer for that spec/list of extras.

My wife (also retired), is an above knee amputee who doesn't use a prosthesis. So, with a view to establishing if she could cope with MHing we borrowed a friends (then new) coach built and disappeared to the Scottish Highlands for 10 days. Let me say I highly recommend carrying out this exercise as it revealed:

My wife could cope.
We both love MHing.
A 6 berth would be wasted - only 2 of us and over cab bed unusable.
Easiest access possible to washroom required.
Fixed bed preferred - can't be doing with breaking down the bed each day or eating off our laps.

What do we want from a MH? The freedom to be able to go away for a couple of nights as and when we want - unencumbered by the need to find disabled friendly accommodation - plus a UK holiday once a year. Oh, and we do like to Wild Camp so that's another box to tick.

Am I looking for a 30k van for 10k? No. Just one that doesn't look every day of it's 20 years - which seems to be the sort of age range I need to be looking at.

That Hymer would be ideal - assuming the drop down bed comes down low enough for my Mrs to get into. Just goes to show what an extra 4 or 5k would give us access to. But isn't that always the way?

Dave

PS (for those posts that arrived whilst I was typing this) I did consider a self build and have (most) of the skills, but nowhere secure and under cover to do the work. I don't however mind having to "tart up" an older van.

Gradually "trading up" would be fine if I was still working and had a few years of doing so in front of me.

Last edited:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Please do not give up. Our van is 26 years old. And is still going strong. We are taking her Portugal in September. for 6 weeks. So do not get put of a older veh.

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
As my dear old mum used to say to me - 'you have to cut your coat according to your cloth'

Ten grand is a healthy enough budget, I paid seven for my old hymer over five years ago and have had some terrific times in it. It's not perfect* but it's a lot better than having a few grand in Santander earning a bag of peanuts every year.

If your budget is ten, set a purchase limit of about seven and keep a couple of thousand aside for potential failures or toys then go and enjoy it. Or buy a Dacia Sandero...

*actually it is...

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Thanks Dave, at the risk of sounding patronising, you have clearly thought this through.

Just seen a Hymer B544 A class a little over 20 years old, but quite fair mileage on budget at

Plenty of experts here to give an opinion as to value and suitability, as I am a bit too new at all this to give a worthwhile opinion.

Don't give up, as people say here, looks aren't as important as suitability for both you and your wife

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
looks aren't as important as suitability for both you and your wife

I know you didn't mean it that way @pyro but I almost spat my beer out reading that (c:

The van you linked to is almost identical to mine, I can't vouch for suitability for a below-knee amputee but it's a great layout, deservedly one of the most popular MoHos ever sold in the UK. Plenty of room for two (with capacity for more on occasions) but small enough on the outside to shoe-horn into most places. I keep thinking of 'upgrading' but when it comes down to it I couldn't answer the question 'why?'

OP
OP
Cilfan

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
Ok, ok you buggers. You've rekindled my interest.....I hoped you would (hehehe). It seems that Hymer may well be a Marque to investigate further - not that I want to be blinkered you understand. Trouble is, looking at the internal shots of Triple 7's, the drop down bed is accessed via a 5 rung ladder! Watching my Mrs trying to negotiate that would be (hmmm) interesting!!!! Did Hymer produce a model around 20 years ago with a fixed bed to anyone's knowledge? Also can anyone point me to a website detailing models, specs and layouts from that era? Thanks in anticipation.

Dave

PS - Bacchus, my wife's an ABOVE knee amputee. That missing knee joint makes a helluva difference.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Have a look at Autosleeper Excelsiors, Exceutive etc,,Either large double bed or two singles,,Retro looking,,Plastic body so less damp issues and i don't think they ever look dated,,Lots about round the ten grand mark. Good luck with what ever you find,,,BUSBY.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I know you didn't mean it that way @pyro but I almost spat my beer out reading that (c:

The van you linked to is almost identical to mine, I can't vouch for suitability for a below-knee amputee but it's a great layout, deservedly one of the most popular MoHos ever sold in the UK. Plenty of room for two (with capacity for more on occasions) but small enough on the outside to shoe-horn into most places. I keep thinking of 'upgrading' but when it comes down to it I couldn't answer the question 'why?'

Buggeration! I certainly didn't mean it that way! Sorry Dave

@Cilfan. I did my best to reinvigorate your interest, and very pleased to know that this is still on the cards for you. There are people with far more experience here than myself, but I really will keep my eyes and ears open for you.

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
Did Hymer produce a model around 20 years ago with a fixed bed to anyone's knowledge? Also can anyone point me to a website detailing models, specs and layouts from that era? Thanks in anticipation.

I'm not sure whether there are any Hymers of that vintage with a fixed bed, they were very much trumpetting the drop-down bed at the time, although there may be. The rear lounge versions are easily made into huge doubles and give plenty of "day space" without having to have a van big enough to lug a double bed around. Others may have more knowledge and there is a very good classic hymers group on facebook.

Tabbert made a van of similar (some say better) quality with a fixed bed in the nineties (580 I think...) and some of the low-profiles have fixed beds; a quick search reveals this (low mileage!) van which is just about within budget with a bit of a haggle...(although i would want a very thorough inspection with six owners and no service history!)

Broken Link Removed

PS - Bacchus, my wife's an ABOVE knee amputee. That missing knee joint makes a helluva difference.

My apologies!

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
If you're interested in looking at the potential of "classic " Hymers - which have a very strong following - there are 2 Facebook groups worth joining, one is Classic Hymers and the other is the associated site Classic Hymermarket. A quick look on that yesterday has several available sub £10k , can't say how suitable they'd be for you circumstances etc but worth a look IMHO.

Good luck with your search, as others have said, you'll certainly land a suitable van for your budget.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I couldn't see a fixed bed one under 15k but only looked on EBay.
This ones low mileage. Perhaps use over an space for storage and use duvalays on bench seating?

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Fixed bed preferred - can't be doing with breaking down the bed each day or eating off our laps.
Wanting a fixed bed MH for around £10k is going to make it a difficult search. Have you thought about Duvalays? Makes bedmaking so much easier and very comfortable for sleeping.
http://www.duvalay.co.uk/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Memory-Foam-Sleeping-Bag
We have them in our 1994 Talbot, which has bench seats/beds that can be used as a double or two single beds.

We don't eat off our laps; we have a proper table in the MH for dining.

We also had a £10k price limit when we started looking at MHs in 2010. The third one that we looked at was our trusty Talbot. It was 16 years old when we bought it. It had a few problems but was basically sound. In 6 years it has taken us all over England, Scotland, Wales, Isle of Wight, France, Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany and northern Spain. If we suddenly came into money (not likely!) we would not upgrade from our Talbot. It now has everything we could wish for.

Good luck with your search. The right MH for you is out there although it might be easier to pick up a bargain at the end of the holiday season rather than in the middle.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
................... If we suddenly came into money (not likely!) we would not upgrade from our Talbot. It now has everything we could wish for.................

Wonderful! I'm of exactly the same frame of mind with my humble and ageing Toyota - it's so nice not to ogle and drool over other posher, newer, bigger, sleeker, more expensive vans cos they're not as good (for me) as the one I already have.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cilfan

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
Wanting a fixed bed MH for around £10k is going to make it a difficult search. Have you thought about Duvalays? Makes bedmaking so much easier and very comfortable for sleeping.
http://www.duvalay.co.uk/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Memory-Foam-Sleeping-Bag
We have them in our 1994 Talbot, which has bench seats/beds that can be used as a double or two single beds.

We don't eat off our laps; we have a proper table in the MH for dining.
Thanks for the pointer. I've already recognised that our preference of a fixed bed may severely impair our options - they do seem to be a feature more "of the moment" than in older vans. When we borrowed my mates 6 berth, other than losing a wheel trim - may have been stolen but non the less annoying - and having another MH smash our o/s wing mirror - very expensive grrr - the only thing to mare our experience was having to create the bed every night. In fact we gave up on the idea after 2 nights and left it permanently made up. However that did mean we lost the table, hence my comment about eating off our laps.

Coming up with the money for the van will involve pooling savings, the good will of offspring and (possibly) a small loan. Ergo it's not something we envisage repeating in the near future - if ever - so we need to get it right. We only have 2 "cast in stone" criteria - a user friendly shower for my wife and a fixed bed.

Dave

PS: Bacchus and Pyro - apologies not necessary but gratefully received.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I realise you would like a fixed bed but they do take up a lot of room and like you we didn't want an overcab bed. We went for two twins that give you great lounging space during the day, dining room to eat with a free standing table and just roll out your bedding at night to sleep. We bought an Autocruise Wentworth but did look at a Kontiki with its rear U shaped lounge.

OP
OP
Cilfan

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
If you're interested in looking at the potential of "classic " Hymers - which have a very strong following - there are 2 Facebook groups worth joining, one is Classic Hymers and the other is the associated site Classic Hymermarket. A quick look on that yesterday has several available sub £10k , can't say how suitable they'd be for you circumstances etc but worth a look IMHO.

Good luck with your search, as others have said, you'll certainly land a suitable van for your budget.
Thanks for the pointer. Have applied to join both groups.

Dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back