Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Is the price of a new MH cheaper in the country of origin, ie Chausson in France Hymer in Germany, or are they the same in most places? Cars were but it seems not any more.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Global economy diktats ..
All the big players have long since caught on within the walls of Europe..
There are examples of where you can get vehicles cheaper in the home country Tatra springs to mind ( but then, who would want a Tatra ! ..Ohh.. All the Jaguar owners I spose !! LOL !!! )

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
You also have to be sure to compare like with like. Local specs differ enormously according to local markets and things that might be considered basic here in UK may be an extra in another country

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I have looked at this quite a lot recently and there doesn't seem to be a huge difference in the base price of a new vehicle in its country of manufacture.
Currency fluctuations will make the biggest difference. I have noticed that used prices seem quite a bit cheaper.

I also have the impression that a negotiated cheaper deal is easier to get for 2 reasons - more competition, and the fact that as you will be taking the vehicle back to the uk the supplying dealer is less likely to have to deal with any issues!

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
When I looked at the specs for the model I am considering I found sod all fitted extras or fittings, a £1000 fee for delivery and PDI????? on top of a £45000+ cost. I do not want to pay for that, Maybe wait a few months and get the model I want second hand where someone else has paid all the costs and even put a gas bottle in it. I didn't think europeans would pay for that and could even pick up from the factory.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Lots of good stories about people buying from Durrwang

Broken Link Removed

at the risk of stating the obvious you do have to realise that the euro is in about a 20% discount against the pound

and that p/ex is only possible if you have a lhd one.

Jon

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
:whistle:
When I looked at the specs for the model I am considering I found sod all fitted extras or fittings, a £1000 fee for delivery and PDI????? on top of a £45000+ cost. I do not want to pay for that, Maybe wait a few months and get the model I want second hand where someone else has paid all the costs and even put a gas bottle in it. I didn't think europeans would pay for that and could even pick up from the factory.

But the cost of delivery and PDI from factory to dealer is always passéd on to the customer. It's a flat charge whether dealer is a few hundred miles or 1000 from factory I believe, same goes for cars.....how do you save that cost by buying used, it's part of the cost....you could say the same thing about VAT

Maybe if you pick it up from factory you don't pay...but generally everyone pays! 45k and your worried about a gas bottle?:)

What I find astonishing is why prices jump between 20/30% crossing the channel! And additionally UK dealers seem to ignore the exchange rate mechanism which should work to our advantage and add it to there all ready overinflated prices....

Differential between RHD and LHD is approx 1500 so why is that panel van campers cost £10,000 + more here:whistle:

They don't call the UK treasure island for nothing!lol

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Another thing maybe to consider when buying from abroad is how you will manage for after sales support.
Dealers are unlikely to offer any kind of warranty back up on a van they have not supplied
We recently found this out with our own van - the first question the dealer asked when we called them for help was "did you buy the van from us?"

If you bought a new car you'd expect to be able to take it to any dealer in Europe and get the same level of service

The same may not apply to MH's

Best of luck
Robert

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Have never had a problem with dealer support in 20 years of importing. Even if it meant getting work done and reclaiming cost..that's why it's important to chose the right dealer and ask the "what if" questions

Remember the chassis/ van side of things and all the potentially troublesome bits like heating/refrigeration etc..covered by european wide warrenty.

Attitudes here stink. Buy a van from dealer A, move house, dealer B does not want to know if you didn't get it from him in the first place..UK market in the dark ages

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Are UK spec available on the 'otherside' ? ie Right hand drive, for special order or do the factories only supply them to the UK what about Jerseyl etc.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
I remember when I had my Chausson, the fridge went funny working sometimes or not, I phoned Marquise Preston re an appointment to fix under warrantee (Discover where I bought it had gone bump) first question they asked what make of MH not what type of fridge, when I said Chausson they said cant take it in for 6 Months they was that busy ?. I got a mobile man to come he got it fixed in no time so guess who does my yearly hab checks. Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back