Price differences

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Stuart1, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Stuart1

Stuart1 Read Only Funster

Good Morning everyone, My family and i are just about to buy our first motorhome and we are very confused with the pricing. I'll post two links and maybe you'll be able to tell us which one is the right price.

http://m.friday-ad.co.uk/bristol/used-caravans-and-motorhomes-for-sale/motorhomes/elddis-autoquest-140-TT303D28C

http://m.friday-ad.co.uk/lichfield/used-caravans-and-motorhomes-for-sale/motorhomes/elddis-autoquest-140-YI240KGHA

We are learning slowly about motorhomes but are desperate to get on the road and start enjoying it. Our children cant wait and are very excited. Will this model suit two adults and two children 12 and 6?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

The first ad at £7400 has got to be incorrect, or a scam.

Craig

3. 4matt

4matt Read Only Funster

Very wide price range on your two examples. I have looked at the 140 low profile and not seen one that age for much less however the High top seems rather low for that age. I too have not got a MH yet but have spent a whole lot of time looking and comparing prices. Auto trader is a rather good tool to use to get average prices and gauge layouts etc.

4. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Hi Stuart

Welcome to motorhome fun!

The first looks very suspiciously very underpriced, but will fit your basic needs.

The second just won't, it's a 2 berth!

Be very careful what you buy! Don't rush in, you will make costly mistake! Can I suggest you make the effort to get along to a show or two first before you part with any cash?

The spring show at Newark is very soon, us along with other funsters will ne there and if you want we would be more than happy to guide you through the various types and models to help you with making the right choice.

There is just so much to consider! Suitability for winter use, water tank sizes, fixed beds or not, storage for the kids bikes, the activities you do as a family, etc. Will all dictate your buying decisions.:Eeek:

Please don't rush into this one!

-Jon

5. Gooney

Gooney Funster

The second is only a 2 berth, no room for the kids or even if you were going to put themin an awning , no seat belts for them travelling

6. Stuart1

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  7. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

The one at £7400 is almost certainly some sort of scam, you would pay that for a decent caravan...... It's a ridiculous price, you could sell it for more than double that in an instant.

The one from the dealer is overpriced (unsurprisingly) and is too small for you anyway as it is only 2 berth.

We have two boys 10 and 4. We have a 6 berth van, our previous was an Elddis which was also 6 berth. That way we all have fixed beds. We sleep in the double overcab which is huge, even the little fella sometimes climbs up and sleeps with us there.

The boys have the bunk beds at the back. That way there is no need to make up beds. The lounge / dining area is always available so even if the boys go to their beds and the wife is in the overcab I can still sit in the lounge and read, watch TV, have a beer etc...:thumb::thumb:

This is a link below to a van the same as our previous 6 berth Elddis 160. We found it too small for the 4 of us and the boys were smaller then. When we bought the Elddis like this 5 years ago we paid £21,000 private. It was immaculate with only 5000 miles. We sold it for just under 20k, 2.5 years ago. We also bought our current van privately from E-Bay but were meticulous to check it was all good and genuine before parting with any cash.

Get yourself round some dealers. Take the boys. sit in the vans, get in the beds, and imagine a week or a month away with the space available in the van. Find a layout that will suit. Think about how much gear you will take, bikes, scooters, clothes etc for 4 people, check the storage, garage, underfloor etc, make sure you have enough. Check the payload available. We will have 6 weeks away this summer in Europe with the boys with no problems but our current van is a lot bigger than the 6 berth Elddis below.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271035690941?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Something like this would give you enough space and no need to make beds up... also the Chausson 35 which Jon & Shell have would be perfect for you.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-TRANSIT-MOTORHOME-CAMPER-CHAUSSON-WELCOME-28-6-BERTH-/380559121467?pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item589b175c3b

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  8. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

9. Ber090

Ber090 Funster Life Member

Hi Stuart, The 2 cheap ones must be scams. Sadly there are many about but they are usually picked up by folks on here. Be careful!
    Cheers
    Bernie

10. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Very high mileage for age, probably very well used ex-rental or a SCAM!

Proceed with extreme caution! There might be a plausible explaination for the low price. It might be seized by the police or recievers shifting them but be VERY careful!

11. callumwa

Total scam..... Just call the number and you will hear a wonderful story, which will involve you transfer of money to them for a van you will never own.:Eeek:

Some dealers would be looking for £25k to £30k for an Elddis Autoquest 180 like this......
    They have to make profit, but £25k......:Doh:

Check the numerous threads on here re scams. It will show you many of the ways these scammers operate. Some are very subtle and clever so always be on your guard. ....
    and of course if it looks to cheap to be true........... you know the rest.:thumb:

12. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

the low priced ones are definately scams a plain fiat ducato delivery van is worth that money be very wary of anything that asks for money to be paid any way other than a bacs transfer bank to bank even that can be dodgy the only truly safe way is buying from an established dealership speak to your bank about safe ways you can pay for a high priced item credit cards are protected remember

13. callumwa

Absolutely not true if you do your homework and check every thing thoroughly.....

Have all the happy satisfied Funsters on here bought their vans from dealers?

I don't think so.:Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  14. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

I always buy my vehicles privately, or at auctions. I have done for the last 45 years, and if you are clever enough, and do your homework and research well. You can get some real bargains. Some dealers are not caring enough, some are absolutely brilliant. You take your choice. I only have myself to blame if it goes wrong, which is not often.
    Be very careful of the very, very cheap ones. Hold on to your money until you are 100% satisfied it is genuine. HPI checks are a good thing too.

Craig

15. Stuart1

16. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

17. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

As a general rule of thumb if you google the make of the Motorhome your after and put for sale at the end you will get a broad range for sale from dealers,eBay ,auto trader and private sellers.Narrow it down to the year your looking at and that will give you your range of prices.
    The dealer vans will be the most expensive however you have more come back if anything is or goes wrong, so some people find that gives them piece of mind.Then you have the private ads where in my opinion you can get the good deals.This van is way too cheap to be genuine if it were we'd all have 2.
    Jonandshell give good advice, if you go to a show you will see lots of different layouts,you can then decide what you want.Then wait for the right van to come up and go and view it,when you see it try not to be too keen and be objective.Remember things in this economic climate don't sell easily! I bought my van last year for cash it had been advertised for a while and the seller was keen to sell to fund an extension .It was keenly priced but I bid just under a couple of grand less and waved the money under his nose.He could not resist and we took our baby home.He was a nice chap who sold it and we kept in contact for a while whilst I got used to it,I think if It hadn't felt right with the seller I would have walked away.
    So do your homework,haggle well and enjoy the rewards!

Vlad

• Like Like x 1
  18. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi and welcome, total scam :thumb: there is no way you are going to get a new shape van like that under 20 k even if it had 100, 000 mls on it :BigGrin:
    Have a read at the scam posts over the last few weeks, never send any money expecting delivery:Eeek::Sad:
    Terry

19. stcyr

stcyr Funster

Most obviously SCAMS!!!!!!

Just look at similar age/model/type vans advertised by various proper MH dealers to get an idea of prices. Even knocking off £5/10.000 for private sale :)Eek!:) these would never be that cheap!

20. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Hi Stuart

I am on the laptop now, so am able to type a more involved reply than if I were on the phone!

There are loads of scams out there to catch the unwary. I'm afraid someone like you, with limited knowledge of the market, is the intended victim of these fraudsters!

I was quite genuine with my offer earlier, the Newark show might be a good place to start your search. Us funsters are able to give you impartial advice and many of us have experience of travel with kids.

You really need to identify your requirements though. The Elddis range of vans, although of good quality are really designed for use on serviced sites only. The water tanks are small and the levels of insulation, heating and water system designs will not serve you well if you decide to be adventurous and take the lads skiing, for example.

Another consideration is that 4 berths doesn't give you 4 belted travel seats necessarily. Layout will be important in this aspect. A rear lounge is not a good place for passengers whilst driving! Motorhomes literally disintegrate in accidents and unless rear passengers are are in properly designed seats bolted to the chassis of the base vehicle, they will be thrown out with no effective restraint.

I would like to suggest, if you are on a budget, look carefully at motorhomes from continental manufacturers like Chausson, Dethleffs, Hymer, CI, Kentucky Camp, Pilote, Rimor and Burstner. In the main British manufacturers have, for a long tiime, built for a mainly 'grey' market. The best family vans come from the continent. Family motorhoming has gone on for a lot longer there than it has here! I would also stick my neck out and say that many secondhand Brit vans are overpriced, the dealers relying on brand loyalty from ex-caravanners and again, the 'grey' buyer wanting to buy British.
    You will get a more fit-for-purpose family van from a continental manufacturer at a given price point than with a Brit van, that I can guarantee. Continental vans seem to depreciate faster than Brit ones initially, this you can cash in on!

Continental vans generally have bigger water tanks (100 litre plus). A family of 4 won't last long with only 45 litres on board an Elddis if you are away from sites. If you intend to use a van in winter, ensure the water system is all within the van's body. This will ensure it doesn't freeze.

Also consider payload! Four pushbikes, a table and chairs, awning, food and drink plus 3 passengers will eat into your available payload. Given the age of your lads, I would recommend a van over 3500kg gross to stay legal. However, ensure you have cat C1 on your license to drive it! Also where will you carry all that kit? Consider models with a 'garage'.

I would also advise you to buy 2 more berths than you need. A six berth will allow you to keep the lounge made up and will less work in the morning and evenings.

Lastly, dealers are not there to help, they are there to get money from you! Never believe a word they say. They don't care if you buy the right van, they just want a sale! Better still, if they sell you the wrong van, they know you'll be back for another next year! Warranty at best, is traumatic when it comes to getting work done efficiently. It just ain't the same as the car industry! Figure on at least 3 trips to you dealer before work is completed!

Good luck!

• Like Like x 4