LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Trying to sort out our route etc for our run to the sun this winter...::bigsmile:

My Son is on "Tablets" for Epilepsi and I am also on tablets.....

When we lived in Dorset we had a good repature with our doctor and he would give us a prescription for the length of time we would be away...:thumb:

Having moved to Devon our Doctor in his wisdom will not prescribe more than Three (3) months at any one time....:Angry:

Which as we see is going to cause us problems...

How do you get round this problem if in the same situation ???

Thanks.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Mo, Am unfortunately in a similar situation. My doctor tells me that there has been a government clampdown on over prescribing but told me that if I put one order in for a 3 month prescription then a week or two later put another in it will slip through the system:winky::winky::winky: as long as I inform him before hand.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I have a two monthly prescription. I have started ordering it every 6 weeks to get myself ahead for long trips. So far so good. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have a two monthly prescription. I have started ordering it every 6 weeks to get myself ahead for long trips. So far so good. :thumb:

I do that too. I keep running out otherwise.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Trying to sort out our route etc for our run to the sun this winter...::bigsmile:

My Son is on "Tablets" for Epilepsi and I am also on tablets.....

When we lived in Dorset we had a good repature with our doctor and he would give us a prescription for the length of time we would be away...:thumb:

Having moved to Devon our Doctor in his wisdom will not prescribe more than Three (3) months at any one time....:Angry:

Which as we see is going to cause us problems...

How do you get round this problem if in the same situation ???

Thanks.

We try to build up a stock by hook or by crook, and if that fails then when we are in Spain we buy over the counter what we need, most drugs are available that way in Spain.

I have a friend who gets some one to drop of his repeat prescription then collect the prescription at the receptionist, then gets the drugs and posts them out to him.

Doug...

CarolynandMike

Free Member
Nov 21, 2009
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Liberty
Exp
since 2009
We too have found ourselves in this situation and have resolved it so far by stockpiling as others have suggested.

One fact about prescribing is that the British Medical Association (BMA) have issued guidelines to GPs on this topic. They state that GPs may issue up to 3 months' worth of medication at any one time at the GP's discretion. The argument here is that a GP could be liable if they prescribe without monitoring and a patient became sick, although in my case, this is nonsense as I am only required to have a check once a year.

In Wales additional guidance was issued by the Welsh Assembly to Health Boards during the last Assembly stating that only one month's worth of medication at a time should be prescribed but this is on the grounds of cost rather than consideration for a patient's well-being.

When Mike and I discussed this dilemma (separately) with our doctor he did offer to write private prescriptions which could be taken with us and cashed at a pharmacy in France or Spain. However, you have to pay for them.

If you are having difficulties but are staying in one place, I would suggest finding a doctor there and getting them to prescribe (although some Brit prescription drugs are available over the counter in Spain, this is not the case with all medicines). If you are going to need to obtain medication abroad, find out what the drugs are called in the country you're going to as they can have different names. Who would have thought that paracetamol is known as Tylanol in Canada, for example.

To be honest, it has all just done our heads in and contributes to why we don't go away for longer than 2 months.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back