Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
How do other folk manage to get their prescriptions when they are abroad. for the winter ? Tez 's. doctor has said he can only supply him with three months worth of prescriptionablets for his condition

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
There was some discussion about this recently on my local ex-pat forum. UK doctors can, by law/regulation/ only give 3 months prescription.
You could see a French GP as a visitor, obtain a prescription and pay for the meds at the Pharmacy but not sure about other countries.

I had an eye problem when I moved to France, had 2 months supply of drops etc.. left, but lost them (if you catch my meaning) so got a replacement 3 months supply, which kept me going til I could either register with a French doctor or the eye problem was cured.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
That's the way to do it !!!

My doctor also gives out 3 months at a time...there is a repeat prescription phone line, so after about 4 weeks I phone up and get another 3 months worth ! And then again after a suitable length of time After about 2 to 3 months I then have 6 months worth of tablets or more.....Just the job as I am overwintering in Spain, Portugal and France for at least that amount of time. :thumb: :ROFLMAO: :thumb: :winky:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
In Spain, away from the tourist areas you can buy over the counter almost anything you want, in Portugal its a little harder but still possible.

Doug...

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I normally get 3 months prescriptions and my wife gets 2 months. Last winter my doctor issues 6 months for each of us when we were going to Spain. We are both over 65. He suggested that over-wintering in Spain would be beneficial for my health. When I got back he said he would do it again if we needed it.

It is at the discretion of the doctor how much he prescribes. The limits have been suggested to stop over prescribing. Pharmacists have been charged to check on prescribed amounts and if the think they are excessive to refer back to the prescribing doctor before filling them. To get around this my doctor contacted the pharmacy and told them the amounts were correct.

If you are under 65 you are supposed to unregister with your doctor if you are out of the practise area for more than 3 months. If you are over 65 the limit is 6 months. Your records are then sent back to the local NHS. If you contact another doctor he has to request your records from his NHS area who will contact your old NHS area for them. He then returns them to his NHS area if you are not staying on his books. This system to me is fraught with the potential of your medical history being lost between NHS areas.

The government announced last year that it intended stopping this practise and making it possible for you to register with a doctor anywhere even if you did not live within the practise boundaries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
In spain if you take your repeat prescrption with you the pharmacies will sell you the meds, some are cheaper but be warned some can be very expensive, the other way would be take your repeat prescription to a local doctor who will charge you for one in spannish to hand to the pharmacy but you will still have to pay for some meds. dont forget your EHIC card

lawry

Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
MERTHYR TYDFIL
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840se
Exp
8 years
In Spain for 6 months Doc is only allowed 3 months prescription
Does anybody know if you can buy Metformin and Dapagliflozin for diabetes over the counter?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back