PrePurchase Habitat Checks

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Brandenburg, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Brandenburg

Brandenburg Read Only Funster

I am currently in negotiations with a dealer who is selling a Fiat Ducato Swift Mondail registerd in 2002 on commission, which makes this a private sale in my eyes.

I haev had a techncial van check done which , apart froma few nigglies and DIY botches (but legal) is OK

I am now looking for someone Mobile to do a Habitation check on the vehicle, as I suspect more DIY short cuts.

Can anyone recommend a reliable techncian in the Sussex area, who would to a Habitation check where the Motorhome is located.

Does anyone know how long a PPI habitation chekc should take, I mean in hours?

2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Debatable as a 'private sale' as it is being sold through a dealer albeit an agent.

Any vans I sell on contract are treated as being sold by me as a dealer with full back up warranty and full mech' and habitation service before sale.

Peter

3. DMS

DMS Trader Life Member

hi
    look up MCEA on the internet the mobile caravan engineers association. they will have a list of mobile engineers in your area. you should be looking at the £90 .
    regards
    alan

4. Brandenburg

That is interesting to know. He did not offer mechanical service at all, but suggested he will check out the habitat area. How will I know that he has checked it out in accordance to some standard. He is not a wualified gas or electricity fitter/checker, hence I want this checked out, as I do not trust this guy doing a good job..

5. Brandenburg

Can you advise how long a Habitat check shoudl take in hours?

I am new to owning/buying a Motorcaravan:Blush:

6. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Thats says it all to me. If you do not trust the dealer, then you have to ask yourself the reasons why he would sell a vehicle for a customer, without giving you any back-up or support. Does he know this vehicle is sub-standard or bodged, thus he doesn't want to attach his company name to it? You have already uncovered some bodge repairs - I would take that as a sign to leave!

If you use a good dealer, they will give you warranty and all the help you need - even if it is a customers' vehicle. It is in their interests, as you will return to them in the future. I would steer clear and find a good dealer, with good back-up and support. You are buying something that is of high value, and costs vast amounts to repair when they go wrong.

Buy a good example, and not a hole in the pocket. The extra you invest now, will save alot in the years to come!:thumb:

7. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Normally it is two hours or so plus any rectfication work found.

Peter