Prefer sites (with hedges) to aires (1 Viewer)

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Heyupluv - I must admit I hadn't noticed the small manhole covers but it still gives the problem of having no running water to flush away the effluence if any is spilt.

We used the Aire overnight for an early departure in July and it's only 10 - 15 minutes from the Eurotunnel terminal - wouldn't want to stay there too long!

Had a good evening meal at a Hotel restaurant in Wissant - better inside than it looks from the outside and would recommend it to anyone.

Roryboys Dad...I completely agree with you... there should be free water to swill the empty cassette and any spillage at every site....to keep the Aire clean.....there used to be at most Aires..BUT a lot of the French motorhomers and others instead of paying the 2 euros at the borne to fill your motorhome.. they were using the tap for rinsing to fill the van up for free...URG!!!....

So many of the taps have been turned off inside the borne only allowing the 2 euros refill........

Rory..Do what I do.... and most of the French vans do we have a 2" tap outlet at the side of the motorhome to empty the grey water(some motorhomes already come with these taps) mine I had to fit one....and use your grey water to swill your cassette out.....

Mel:thumb:

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I only have two complaints about this thread...
The first was the suggestion that non campsite users avoided them to save €20 a night...
And the second was the statement that, in the UK, motorhomers who didn't use campsites were inconsiderate.
Reading all the replies have kept me busy adding to and taking off names from my Christmas Card list... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
JJ :Cool:
I've never received a Christmas card from Portugal before.:thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I've never received a Christmas card from Portugal before.:thumb:

Buttons the card must have got lost in the post....I know JJ sent you one... JJ said to me last Christmas..... I have just put buttons card in the post:winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Buttons the card must have got lost in the post....I know JJ sent you one... JJ said to me last Christmas..... I have just put buttons card in the post:winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I guess he will get around to it when he has finished the new floor in his van:winky:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I guess he will get around to it when he has finished the new floor in his van:winky:

AH ah glad you have mentioned the hardwood floor of JJs ...Buttons sounds like panto:winky::winky: did JJ post it or did he loose it:winky::winky: well he said he did :winky::winky: Oh yes he did....Oh no he didn't...Oh yes he did....panto....it may have got wedged under his new hardwood park-a-flooring that is still in working progress...as you can see in this picture of the basic shell / framework JJ is working on

tonke-campers.jpg

strip3.jpg

100_0104.jpg

As you can see buttons JJ as now progressed a little on the exterior since your last update with the conversion with Hardwood floor...on the right he has the Gaslow fitted.. exterior fill of course...and on the left he has the floor mounted sat dish in black...for stealth...when wild camping...and made the Iveco into a tag axle...don't worry about the beard that is just for effect...PROPs they call in the trade

Now due to Frankie arriving.... JJ has now had to concentrate more on the Hymer and all his efforts are now on the curtains and nets as he has mentioned in previous threads when asking how to wash nets.....see below ...So JJ has put the hardwood flooring on hold..so hopefully your Christmas card may still be visible .if under the new floor ..Or there again it could have been your postman have you checked at your local post office

Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

Firstly Aires do not allow caravans, white vans with washing lines... If there ever was what you have described..".two other ‘nice’ aires were already occupied with caravans, white panel vans and washing lines",.the Gendarmes would clear them off very very quickly... I have never ever seen them on any of the aires I have been on..What you have been looking at are Gens de Voyage....(Gypsy sites)... and there are many purpose made gypsy sites all over France....

And to quote the other place you mentioned Cap Gris Nez that is a car park ..just that..a car park... not an Air
e:Doh:

Aires are not designed for you to Stop on for weeks and months on end like a campsite..and set up camp with your green windbreaks, carpets ,awnings, table chairs, sun loungers, BBQ, 2 to 6 bikes left out side the motorhome at all times...for this you want a campsite

Aires are people touring staying 24hours...23 or 48 hours then moving on....

:

Heading south from Calais, following the coast, saw a sign for an aire - the triangular one with the tree and bench on it (picnic area), slowed down to go in, saw that 3 or 4 caravans were lined up back-to-back at the back of the site, no cars and a line of washing across one of them, decided that I wouldn’t stop. Further down the road on the other side was a similar picnic aire, landscaped with trees and benches - with caravans arranged in the same way, no motor homes in either and at least 4 or 5 white Transit type vans parked up.

Cap Gris Nez has a car/buspark- . We drove through it 2 weeks ago. The ‘bus park’ had been taken over by motor homes, we drove between the MH’s and left the ‘carpark‘, to find a better place to stop - there isn’t even a view.
Take a look at Cap Gris Nez on Google Earth, in 2010 it shows 14 cars in the massive carpark and 6 Mhs and what is either a coach or an RV in the bus park -
So is it a carpark or is it an Aire?
Sorry but to me if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck - it’s a duck!

To the final 'dig' - we have travelled 10,000 miles in 10 months, nearly 100 nights away. Apart from 2 occasions when we stayed an extra night we have moved on the next day and the only site we have stayed at more than once is Black Horse Farm on their ferry pitches. Travelling through the winter here and through France in March we had a problem even finding sites open.
I suspect most motor homers use sites, in this country at least, and would not be happy at the stereotyping.

I half expected someone to post pics of Aires I could have used between Calais and Gold Beach - but no - so here’s mine from the ‘no-hedge site’ near Cabourg

Attachments

• 055.jpg
    055.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 056.jpg
    056.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 25
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Heading south from Calais, following the coast, saw a sign for an aire - the triangular one with the tree and bench on it (picnic area), slowed down to go in, saw that 3 or 4 caravans were lined up back-to-back at the back of the site, no cars and a line of washing across one of them, decided that I wouldn’t stop. Further down the road on the other side was a similar picnic aire, landscaped with trees and benches - with caravans arranged in the same way, no motor homes in either and at least 4 or 5 white Transit type vans parked up.

Cap Gris Nez has a car/buspark- . We drove through it 2 weeks ago. The ‘bus park’ had been taken over by motor homes, we drove between the MH’s and left the ‘carpark‘, to find a better place to stop - there isn’t even a view.
Take a look at Cap Gris Nez on Google Earth, in 2010 it shows 14 cars in the massive carpark and 6 Mhs and what is either a coach or an RV in the bus park -
Sorry but to me if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck - it’s a duck!

To the final 'dig' - we have travelled 10,000 miles in 10 months, nearly 100 nights away. Apart from 2 occasions when we stayed an extra night we have moved on the next day and the only site we have stayed at more than once is Black Horse Farm on their ferry pitches. Travelling through the winter here and through France in March we had a problem even finding sites open.
I suspect most motor homers use sites, in this country at least, and would not be happy at the stereotyping.

I half expected someone to post pics of Aires I could have used between Calais and Gold Beach - but no - so here’s mine from the ‘no-hedge site’ near Cabourg

We have never toured in this part of France as we tend to go further south, however the sign you mention is for a picnic area on a main road, it is not an aire for camping cars which has a sign with a motorhome on it (I couldn't find a suitable picture on the net to show you). I think your unfavourable view of aires is that you have been looking at the wrong thing, ie motorhome parking/picnic areas, not that some of them are quite nice for a lunch stop, but they are not intended for a overnight stop, and some would not be safe for this purpose.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
AH ah glad you have mentioned the hardwood floor of JJs ...Buttons sounds like panto:winky::winky: did JJ post it or did he loose it:winky::winky: well he said he did :winky::winky: Oh yes he did....Oh no he didn't...Oh yes he did....panto....it may have got wedged under his new hardwood park-a-flooring that is still in working progress...as you can see in this picture of the basic shell / framework JJ is working on

tonke-campers.jpg

strip3.jpg

100_0104.jpg

As you can see buttons JJ as now progressed a little on the exterior since your last update with the conversion with Hardwood floor...on the right he has the Gaslow fitted.. exterior fill of course...and on the left he has the floor mounted sat dish in black...for stealth...when wild camping...and made the Iveco into a tag axle...don't worry about the beard that is just for effect...PROPs they call in the trade

Now due to Frankie arriving.... JJ has now had to concentrate more on the Hymer and all his efforts are now on the curtains and nets as he has mentioned in previous threads when asking how to wash nets.....see below ...So JJ has put the hardwood flooring on hold..so hopefully your Christmas card may still be visible .if under the new floor ..Or there again it could have been your postman have you checked at your local post office

Link Removed

Are you sure that stealth sat dish is not his sheet music stand, has he taken up an instrument.
I think what that van is lacking is a pop top. Upstairs Downstairs :winky:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I gave you the clue, Google it, everyone in Aldeburgh and probably Southwold too knows what Goliath was. :winky:

I will try to make this as painless as possible for you. The question I asked previously was...

"So what ARE you saying then, did you not say, "So in this country I think considerate campers stay on camp sites." in you earlier post? The inference being that those who don't stay on sites are inconsiderate?"

I am still fishing for an answer. Never mind about Goliath.:winky:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

I have not a clue where you are talking about...I think you are talking about an 'aire de repos' is a rest area (again typically on a motorway but simply a picnic site .

But as I said the Gendarmes would soon move them as the village Mayor would not let it happen as there are places for them to stay

We and many other motorhomes go up to Cap Gris Nez for lunch....many go up to have a look around and a walk...Its a Car park....and if you look on google earth you may well see motorhomes and coaches and many many cars its a view point......also the photos would have been taken during the day .so yes you will see motorhomes...while we have been up there many motorhomes are coming and going (like we do) all day long

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
We have never toured in this part of France as we tend to go further south, however the sign you mention is for a picnic area on a main road, it is not an aire for camping cars which has a sign with a motorhome on it (I couldn't find a suitable picture on the net to show you). I think your unfavourable view of aires is that you have been looking at the wrong thing, ie motorhome parking/picnic areas, not that some of them are quite nice for a lunch stop, but they are not intended for a overnight stop, and some would not be safe for this purpose.

I agree with you totally ....Reallyretired

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I will try to make this as painless as possible for you. The question I asked previously was...

"So what ARE you saying then, did you not say, "So in this country I think considerate campers stay on camp sites." in you earlier post? The inference being that those who don't stay on sites are inconsiderate?"
I am still fishing for an answer. Never mind about Goliath.:winky:

Sorry landsm I think we have an intellectual mismatch here.:whatthe: In my earlier post I said that conciderate motorhomers stay on camp sites, I thought that you were of the same opinion. Are you now saying that in your opinion considerate campers don't stay on camp sites.:Wacko::Wacko:
Are you sure that wouldn't like another clue with regard to Goliath:winky:

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

The Aires-de- repos are used by all vehicles, trucks included if there is space and are used as overnight stops, I have used one in an emergency - didn't sleep too well though, a bit nervous.
If you were alone for the night on an Aire would you feel anymore secure?
Maybe that's why the MHs are nearly always parked so close together on Aires.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Burstner....I am very sorry to hear you have some bad times on the Aires in France....

There are a few car park types or even in supermarkets parking area's..I would use these in an emergency or for transit ..

But there are many, well too many to mention that are very beautiful with some lovely scenery....
If you click at bottom of this reply you will see my picasa photo link...double click onto it .then double click onto the first photo.. they are all French aires, just a few we have been too..... click onto a photo and there many more will come up...at the top of the photos it will say full screen click onto that and look all through those photos ...come back and click onto another photo and go through the process again and again and again there are hundreds of Aires to look at......if none of them are to yourself and your wife liking.for what ever reason, then maybe campsites are better for you :thumb:

Mel

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Sorry landsm I think we have an intellectual mismatch here.:whatthe: In my earlier post I said that conciderate motorhomers stay on camp sites, I thought that you were of the same opinion. Are you now saying that in your opinion considerate campers don't stay on camp sites.:Wacko::Wacko:
Are you sure that wouldn't like another clue with regard to Goliath:winky:

My God ,this getting difficult.

You did say that considerate motorhomers stay on campsites, the inference being that those who stay off site are inconsiderate.

I do not agree. I have always taken the view that to stay off site e.i. "Wild" is not inconsiderate, provided the motorhomer in question does not cause annoyance, obstruction to anyone else. I think people have a perfect right to "WIld" and I do not think it right to label those who do so as inconsiderate.

So are you saying you think those who do stay off campsites are inconsiderate, that's al I want to know.

and bu@@er Goliath!

Deleted User
"I have always taken the view that to stay off site e.i. "Wild" is not inconsiderate, provided the motorhomer in question does not cause annoyance, obstruction to anyone else"

The problem being that I and many others take the view that a motorhome 'wilding' in a beauty spot or near to someone's property does cause annoyance.There are many inconsiderate users of sites and I am sure that most wild campers do not think they are being inconsiderate, different people have different points of view, thats life!
It is a great pity that the system of Aires used in France and other parts of Europe is not introduced into the UK, but even this system is abused by people staying too long and deliberately avoiding the small payment because they know the system ( Mazaron ?) as an example.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
"I have always taken the view that to stay off site e.i. "Wild" is not inconsiderate, provided the motorhomer in question does not cause annoyance, obstruction to anyone else"

The problem being that I and many others take the view that a motorhome 'wilding' in a beauty spot or near to someone's property does cause annoyance.There are many inconsiderate users of sites and I am sure that most wild campers do not think they are being inconsiderate, different people have different points of view, thats life!
It is a great pity that the system of Aires used in France and other parts of Europe is not introduced into the UK, but even this system is abused by people staying too long and deliberately avoiding the small payment because they know the system ( Mazaron ?) as an example.

As you say, different people have different points of view. The matter is probably best left there. perhaps those with differing views can accept that theirs is not the only one and respect the view of others whilst not necessarily agreeing with it.:Smile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

[HI]You did say that considerate motorhomers stay on campsites[/HI] Correct I did say this,:yawn: the inference being that [HI]

those who stay off site are inconsiderate. [/HI] I have checked my comments, it was not me who said this.:yawn:

I do not agree. I have always taken the view that to stay off site e.i. "Wild" is not inconsiderate, provided the motorhomer in question does not cause annoyance, obstruction to anyone else. I think people have a perfect right to "WIld" and I do not think it right to label those who do so as inconsiderate.

So are you saying you think those who do stay off campsites are inconsiderate, that's al I want to know.

and bu@@er Goliath!
:rain:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Burstner....I am very sorry to hear you have some bad times on the Aires in France....

There are a few car park types or even in supermarkets parking area's..I would use these in an emergency or for transit ..

But there are many, well too many to mention that are very beautiful with some lovely scenery....
If you click at bottom of this reply you will see my picasa photo link...double click onto it .then double click onto the first photo.. they are all French aires, just a few we have been too..... click onto a photo and there many more will come up...at the top of the photos it will say full screen click onto that and look all through those photos ...come back and click onto another photo and go through the process again and again and again there are hundreds of Aires to look at......if none of them are to yourself and your wife liking.for what ever reason, then maybe campsites are better for you :thumb:

Mel

Thanks for that link Mel, that latest one you added looks even better than some nice C L's we have stayed at, and my better half would have no problem staying at that one and a few others you show even though she is a sites person.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
As you say, different people have different points of view. The matter is probably best left there. perhaps those with differing views can accept that theirs is not the only one and respect the view of others whilst not necessarily agreeing with it.:Smile:

Now that really is a load of waffle.:Doh:
Are you saying that we have no right to complain if someone is abusing the generosity of a town or council in letting motorhomes park for little or no charge, as was the case in Aldeburgh.
Bad practises by inconsiderate motorhomers will affect me in the long term so I have every right to complain and I will continue to do so.
Just because my views are different from your own views doesn't say that I have to accept your view, especially if it also affects me.:Eeek:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Are you saying that we have no right to complain if someone is abusing the generosity of a town or council in letting motorhomes park for little or no charge, as was the case in Aldeburgh.
[HI]Bad practises by inconsiderate motorhomers will affect me in the long term[/HI] so I have every right to complain and I will continue to do so.
Just because my views are different from your own views doesn't say that I have to accept your view, especially if it also affects me.:Eeek:

I would be interested to learn how the behaviour of "inconsiderate" motorhomers parking off-site will affect you long term...

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Views

Bad practises by inconsiderate motorhomers will affect me in the long term so I have every right to complain and I will continue to do so.

No, complain all you like, next time you see a motorhome parked in a manner you think inconsiderate , knock on the door and tell tell the occupants considerate campers only use sites, you have every right to complain as you say and that's great if it makes you feel better. They will have every right to tell you what they think too.

I have always understood your point was that considerate motorhomers stay on sites, the inference being that those who stay off site are inconsiderate. That seems different to what you are saying now. Do I understand that you think it's OK to stay overnight off site as long as someone is not abusing the generosity of a town or council in letting motorhomes park for little or no charge.

We both have every right to disagree with the views of others, I was suggesting that we might accept the views of others (or rather the right to air them) whilst not necessarily agreeing with them.

My view is that in a reasonably rational and decent society that's what most people might do. If you you don't agree with that ....Fine...

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Ah ha.....But may I be so bold as to ask whether the use of Aframes is considerate or inconsiderate to other motorhomers :RollEyes:.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I would be interested to learn how the behaviour of "inconsiderate" motorhomers parking off-site will affect you long term...
Many instances JJ one being that myself and other considerate motorhomers were at one time able to park with ease at many convenient locations around the UK. Note I said park not Stay over.
Now you are lucky if you are able to park within 5 miles of the best spots.

Why do you think this is JJ? My own theory is that inconsiderate campers over a long period have abused the hospitality of councils and private land owners until a blanket ban is their only option. The south coast is a prime example. If you have been following this thread then you will have seen Aldeburgh used as an example.

For the past 20 years both cars and motorhomes were able to share what is a magnificent stretch of Aldeburgh sea wall free parking. Slowly as the number of motorhomes increased, this sea wall became a camping park taking over the entire stretch of sea wall. Some staying for weeks at a time.

The inevitable happen, locals and car visitors complained that they were not able to park throughout the summer months because motorhomes had set up camp along the sea wall and taken over the area. A number of different methods were used to reduce the motorhome usage of the sea wall but all were received with two fingers.....now I cant spend the day parked along the sea wall.
This is just one example of how inconsiderate motorhomers have affected me long term.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
No, complain all you like, next time you see a motorhome parked in a manner you think inconsiderate , knock on the door and tell tell the occupants considerate campers only use sites, you have every right to complain as you say and that's great if it makes you feel better. They will have every right to tell you what they think too.

I have always understood your point was that[HI] considerate motorhomers stay on sites, [/HI]the inference being that [HI]those who stay off site are inconsiderate.[/HI] That seems different to what you are saying now. Do I understand that you think it's OK to stay overnight off site as long as someone is not abusing the generosity of a town or council in letting motorhomes park for little or no charge.

We both have every right to disagree with the views of others, I was suggesting that we might accept the views of others (or rather the right to air them) whilst not necessarily agreeing with them.

My view is that in a reasonably rational and decent society that's what most people might do. If you you don't agree with that ....Fine...

Could I draw your attention to the reply that I made earlier:Cool:

You did say that [HI]considerate motorhomers stay on campsites [/HI]Correct I did say this,:yawn: the inference being that

[HI]those who stay off site are inconsiderate[/HI]. I have checked my comments, it was not me who said this.:yawn:.
Perhaps you could also take a look at the reply that I made to JJ with regard to the long term affects.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Ah ha.....But may I be so bold as to ask whether the use of Aframes is considerate or inconsiderate to other motorhomers :RollEyes:.
The gung-ho attitude of illegal A frame users could harm the attitude of the public and the police towards considerate motorhomers. So I would say it is inconsiderate :winky:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The gung-ho attitude of illegal A frame users could harm the attitude of the public and the police towards considerate motorhomers. So I would say it is inconsiderate :winky:
Well its now official. Am now a considerate motorhomer since I now use a trailer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back