Pre-Wired (1 Viewer)

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Help, I've bought a new motorhome and I never noticed until after I paid the deposit that there wasn't a radio fitted. The annoying thing is, I told the dealer I was over my budget and didn't want there to be any hidden extras. Anyway, he has now sent me a choice of 2 radios, jvc or kenwood, both valued at under £100,, But he wants £295.00 plus Vat. How can it cost over £200 to fit a radio to a pre wired motor?. I feel like I'm getting a little shafted here, anyone with any advice?.
Mickey.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Being a VW owner I am astounded that your base vehicles do not come with at least a simple radio as standard. Higher spec VW T6s come with reversing sensors (& optionally front sensors) and sat nav integrated with an AM/FM/DAB radio.

Rod

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Being a VW owner I am astounded that your base vehicles do not come with at least a simple radio as standard. Higher spec VW T6s come with reversing sensors (& optionally front sensors) and sat nav integrated with an AM/FM/DAB radio.

Rod
I suppose part of the reason is that it obviously costs the converter to get it with one and as people want different things from them there is no 'one size fits all' ... for example ours didn't come with one but we negotiated with the dealer to fit one for us as part of the deal ... yes it's a cheap Pioneer one but does what we need, if instead we'd been asked to pay X amount more for the van itself as it had a 'posh DVD player, radio ... makes the coffee too' type of unit we wouldn't have wanted to do so as we'd have felt we were paying for something we didn't need.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mickey1
Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
That was my mistake, I didn't notice there wasn't a radio until after I'd paid the deposit, a cheap one would have been better than nothing.
Mickey

Upvote 0

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
doing it properly so you have a dash mounted isolation switch so you don't have to leave the ignition on (keys in the ignition) the figure quoted seems there about'ish

Eddie, slight aside, but it's ok to do that isn't it? just wire the red and yellow power leads to a swtiched connection to the van pos?

Upvote 0

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
That was my mistake, I didn't notice there wasn't a radio until after I'd paid the deposit, a cheap one would have been better than nothing.
Mickey
I too found out when picking the van up, no radio as standard, which was very surprising to me
Fortunately I took the Blankput New York out of my first van, dead easy Micky you have a standard plug and play fittings which in my case you couldn't insert into the wrong connections and the cage simple fits in the hole already there
At the end of the day you have access to hundreds of funsters who are more than capable/willing to help with the installation all you have to do is post pictures and ask, jobs a good un (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mickey1
Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
I too found out when picking the van up, no radio as standard, which was very surprising to me
Fortunately I took the Blankput New York out of my first van, dead easy Micky you have a standard plug and play fittings which in my case you couldn't insert into the wrong connections and the cage simple fits in the hole already there
At the end of the day you have access to hundreds of funsters who are more than capable/willing to help with the installation all you have to do is post pictures and ask, jobs a good un (y)
But it also needs speakers and dash fitting kit, I'll leave it to the professionals. Thanks for your advice.
Mickey.

Upvote 0

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
But it also needs speakers and dash fitting kit, I'll leave it to the professionals. Thanks for your advice.
Mickey.
You get the front speakers as standard (fiat) the dash kit there talking about is a simple rectangular cage (google it, don't know how to do links) but if your having the growler fitted by Eddie then for the extra money let them do it certainly in safe hands and a funster discount available

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Mickey.
Please re-read some of the other posts ... the speakers are there anyway and the dash fitting kit is a red herring ... depending on what you want you may or may not need one AFAIK!

Have you thought about removing the radio from your current MH (assuming its possible?).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mickey1
Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Minxy Girl, This is my first Motorhome EVER, and in the chausson brochure it says

- Pre-equipped for cab radio and loudspeakers.
Mickey.

Upvote 0

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
That does seem extortionate, do you know whether the current hole is single of double din? As a guide to how mad the price is, first thing I did in my van was take out the ten year old stereo and replace with one from Amazon - including making the hole bigger and removing a load of old handsfree kit wiring. 20 mins tops and most of that was figuring which was the added an which the original loom. If the wiring's there it's literally a plug in cables slide in radio job.

progress.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mickey1
Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Thanks jnn, photo of van.
Mickey.

Attachments

• 2016-10-24 12.28.58 HDR.jpg
    2016-10-24 12.28.58 HDR.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 50
Upvote 0

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
In there you could have either a single or double din stereo (the top or bottom hole or one that filled the hole left with th division removed)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mickey1
Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Thanks, as Lenny said, I could have radio, satnav and reversing camera, saving having wires hanging everywhere. I'll collect the van without a radio and see where I can go from, I still feel the dealer didn't treat me very fair after spending so much.
Mickey.

Upvote 0

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
yep, that's what mine is, I then chose to have the reversing camera on a seperate screen for various reasons but the stereo is essnetially an android tablet in stereo form with GPS, video and audio in and out, and can add android apps and so choose what else software wise to have on it, so I like a map and compass whereas a friend prefers satnav that directs her and so we've two different satnav apps, amazon music downloaded to its sd card, track journeys etc

Upvote 0

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
DIN is a standard size, it's been replaced by an ISO but essentially they should all be the same size, single DIN is I think 5cm tall and double DIN 10cm, all the same width

you'll probably need a universal double din cage (metal box with divets to secure the stereo) to slot in before you slot the stereo in, that'd be £10-15

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Eddie, slight aside, but it's ok to do that isn't it? just wire the red and yellow power leads to a swtiched connection to the van pos?

Your only ever leaving the unit in standby

When you turn the ignition off it turns the off, so connect a switch in series on what should be the ignition supply

On Pioneer for example it can be up to 1amp

Upvote 0

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
cheers, it's curently switched by the ignition but that was on the to do list

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Minxy Girl, This is my first Motorhome EVER, and in the chausson brochure it says

- Pre-equipped for cab radio and loudspeakers.
Mickey.
... in which case it will already have them in, so all you need is the radio (or whatever you choose) and a suitable cage to hold it ... it might be worth pointing out to the dealer how bad you feel about them trying to rip you off! Out of interest who are you getting it from?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mickey1
Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
... in which case it will already have them in, so all you need is the radio (or whatever you choose) and a suitable cage to hold it ... it might be worth pointing out to the dealer how bad you feel about them trying to rip you off! Out of interest who are you getting it from?
Maybe I read it different, - Pre-equipped for cab radio and loudspeakers, I thought that meant NO radio and NO speakers. I'm getting the motorhome from TC motorhomes, herne bay.
Mickey.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mickey1
Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Minxy Girl, forgot to mention it also says pre wired for reversing camera and solar panels, I'm getting solar panel fitted but to be honest, I don't know what size because he just said he would fit a solar panel for me.
Mickey.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Minxy Girl, forgot to mention it also says pre wired for reversing camera and solar panels, I'm getting solar panel fitted but to be honest, I don't know what size because he just said he would fit a solar panel for me.
Mickey.
Not good dealer in that case, taking advantage of your inexperience. Try and cancel and get @eddievanbitz to do the lot!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back