scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Anyone else get nervous before a trip ?

We are off on Thursday.. west coast of France for thee weeks.. can't wait go.. but already the nerves are playing up.. I worry about everything.. and mostly for no good reason..

Been like this for as long as I can remember.. fine once I hit the road.. I think I'm just a worrier..

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
My mum gets nervous vbefore she goes somewhere almost to the point she could cry, shes a panicker and likes to be all prepared.

Relax, chill and enjoy your holiday.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision

We are off on Thursday.. west coast of France for thee weeks.. can't wait go.. but already the nerves are playing up.. I worry about everything.. and mostly for no good reason..

Been like this for as long as I can remember.. fine once I hit the road.. I think I'm just a worrier..
Sounds lovely....I whittle about everything as well but by this age I've accepted that I am like that and don't worry about it....:ROFLMAO:

I just like to know I've got all bases covered

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Whether you worry or not it doesn't make any difference so why bother to, although I appreciate there are worriers amongst us and not easy not to worry, just enjoy the adventure everything is going to be fine.
Etap

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Can't say I have ever been nervous about heading for France in the van. There is always that bit of tension as you drive off the ferry or train and start driving on the right again though.

Can be a bit nerve-wracking when you find yourself driving along some narrow street with cars parked both sides.

Paul

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)

Not a worrier me but Jan............now that's another story. I can guarantee that shortly after leaving for every trip she will say "do you know, I'm sure we have forgotten something". Well sometimes we have but mostly we haven't. It makes no difference either way (y)(y)
Enjoy your holiday Jim.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'm fine once I leave the house drive.. no worries about driving abroad.. I enjoy it.. wouldn't have done it for three years in a 36ft RV full time if I didn't..
but sometimes I can't shake off that nervous feeling.. when I feel almost physical sick.. I know its daft and no reason to be worried.. have now got a nice 'manageable' van.. no worries about getting into aires etc..

roll on Thursday .. :)

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
I worry about most things,so particularly trips, mainly the MH width round the narrow lanes, hubby is the driver, so he's my hero. Try not to get like it but difficult to control, good job he is a laid back person. :clap: :happy:

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
I worry prior to every holiday:(. Next weekend we are off on our first trip to Europe in the MH. Luckily I don't have to drive, but the hassle getting to Dover is worrying me as well. I try to plan as such as possible it makes me feel in control. Hoping the next time I will be more relaxed :)

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
You will enjoy it Jim, the only thing that you will have to bear in mind is that it is the height of the continental holiday season and all the camp sites will be BUZZING. Fortunately there are many scattered about so you should be ok but it's an excuse for the owners to hike their camp site charges. Just be prepared to accept them or drive away.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
You will enjoy it Jim, the only thing that you will have to bear in mind is that it is the height of the continental holiday season and all the camp sites will be BUZZING. Fortunately there are many scattered about so you should be ok but it's an excuse for the owners to hike their camp site charges. Just be prepared to accept them or drive away.

plenty of experience of France, and in the height of the season.. comes with the territory of having a kids, and one still at school.. but never found it too busy..
we will be using aires or municipal sites.. no fixed plan so very flexible about where we stop .. provided it's near the beach Chaz will be very happy..

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
No nerves here. We're off on Wednesday and I can't wait. I would go now if we didn't have to wait for school to finish on Tuesday.

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
I know a few that worry about things all the time, I'm glad I don't do that. just worry about tish if or when it happens, your just wasting energy waiting maybe years before the next hassle comes along.
We're on west coast now after landing in Cherbourg Wednesday and I would much rather drive around out here than back home and the fuel and stop over places are so cheap compared to rip off Britain !
We put the form in to take our girl out of school a week early as they too were just doing fun stuff, no problem and she has done more history and language lessons here in 5 days here than she would back there.

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I think the most nervous moment is when I drive off the ferry back in Dover at the end of our trip - it just seems odd to have to remember to drive on the left! Perhaps enhanced by the fact that the MH is LHD?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I put a similar feeling down to excitement, but it might be nerves

Like you though I so love the feeling driving off the drive

Usually within a few miles Bev will say, 'that's alright now' to which I still have to play along with replying, what's up love', she will say 'I have remembered what we have forgotten'

Provided it is not something critical we can always buy another, even presuming we actually need it

Only once had to return, when we got 30 miles away and realised we hadn't got the dog, pulled into a service area so I could drop off the caravan and go back solo, dog pops up in caravan window, delighted we had stopped I reckon, Moved her to car and off we went again

Just take some extra cash, a credit card and maybe in your case a couple of spare phones :D:D, it is unlikely you will need whatever you forget and can always buy it

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I used to get very stressy before a trip.. But given we seem to be always either on a trip, about to go, or just got back, I do not have the chance any more !!!

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Nick reckons I am at my happiest when I am worrying &/or feeling guilty about something! Some of us are just made that way and there is NOTHING more irritating to us worriers than being told that there is no point, we know that, we just can't help it. We are happy though so please don't worry about us haha!

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Back in the 70s when you had to take coinage for each country you visited, we arrived with kids in the south of France and when I asked for some more francs, we realised we had left them on the kitchen table, so a lot of time spent in banks trying to get more.
We had a great holiday though.
Etap

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Martin is the worrier. I put it down to heart problems - whether heart problems cause the worry or worry causes the problems I don't know but everyone I've know who has heart problems is a worrier ...... luckly not every worrier has heart problems though!

When we go away we plan like a military campaign...... lists, pre-booking etc etc. Takes some of the thrill of exploring new places away from me as I'm the type that like to wonder and get lost but anything to keep him calm and happy. :)

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I am the same ! When we go away it is usually for at least 2 months and in the winter when we leave for our winter sailing trip it is for 5 months ! The last week leading to departure is a nightmare of washing ,ironing and cleaning both the house as well as the van if we are motorhoming and if sailing it is winterizing the house and draining the central heating system and turning off water and gas etc . We write endless lists and instructions and telephone numbers for every eventuality . I am a total wreck
by the time we get under way. Usually when we are a few miles out of Whitby I can relax ....except the time when I realised that I had left our ACSI CC at home about half way to York . Husband was not happy !

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Usually within a few miles Bev will say, 'that's alright now' to which I still have to play along with replying, what's up love', she will say 'I have remembered what we have forgotten'

Provided it is not something critical we can always buy another, even presuming we actually need it

Sedge is EXACTLY the same as Bev! even when going on package etc holidays, she's always been the same. We have only had to turn back once - she calmly said 'Come off the M6 at Rugby and go back home' Why?

She'd forgotten to reattach herself to her insulin pump after she had her shower! LOL

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Most singers and actors get nervous before a stage performance, even those who have been performing for years. It seems to be built in to the human psyche.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
On 1st July I was unable to play in our summer concert due to nerves-I've now been diagnosed with depression.
I get nervous even talking about where we might visit whilst on a trip,so,I'm now not told where we might go :)
We usually only plan as far as Calais,then Carolyn unveils a suggested route.
I'm usually ok once we've done about 20 miles-this morning I drove car for first time since 1st of July and it was scary,but I did it (y)
Mike.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner

im planning to be on the 8 am ferry to Dunkirk on Thursday, what route are you guys taking ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back