Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
I bought a damp meter before looking at the Hymer, as I thought it would prove useful when checking other vehicles, but I've just been reading the small print on RAC vehicle inspections and wonder whether they are worth it. It would seem that you have no come back, even if they inspect, you buy and something they have said is OK drops off the next day. I wouldn't expect anyone to cover something after I've done a trip the length of Britain, but surely it's reasonable to expect them to accept liability for a period of maybe a two weeks to a months after the check for something going wrong on bits they have said are OK.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I bought a damp meter before looking at the Hymer, as I thought it would prove useful when checking other vehicles, but I've just been reading the small print on RAC vehicle inspections and wonder whether they are worth it. It would seem that you have no come back, even if they inspect, you buy and something they have said is OK drops off the next day. I wouldn't expect anyone to cover something after I've done a trip the length of Britain, but surely it's reasonable to expect them to accept liability for a period of maybe a two weeks to a months after the check for something going wrong on bits they have said are OK.

I can follow your logic but it is only an inspection and not a warranty, I think the inspections done by AA & RAC are expensive. I was looking to buy a motorhome and phoned the nearest van depot and asked what it would cost for a vehicle inspection - £65 + VAT which is way cheaper than the AA or RAC. That was with Arnold Clarke so I think with a local garage it could be even cheaper.
Again no warranty but if you don't have mechanical skills then at least you will be warned if there is a fundamental flaw you weren't able to pick up.
At this price as against the money spending for a motorhome this is a small price to pay.

Norman

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
I think you may be right.

The RAC inspection is dear and they are insisting on a pit or ramp being available for vehicles over 15 years old. I'm not a bad mechanic, having carried out my own maintenance on cars for 45 years, but don't really fancy crawling round under a 3.5 tonne vehicle. My comment was made because a friend's father once had an RAC inspection on a car they said was OK, which broke down not long after he bought it with a fault related to something they said was OK. For me whatever I buy is a one shot deal, unless we decide to sell up and go full time, which is unlikely at present, or even in the near future, so getting it right first time is important.

I might ask around locally and see if someone can do a check for me at a sensible price.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Avery good comment and wise thing to do if your not machanical minded, and all ways pay to have that damp meter handy! when your making a purchase even NEW models!Cheers Alf:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back