Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
The "Boss" has picked up a leaflet for a Thomas Cook Pre Paid Currency Card and quite fancies one.
Having had our bank account hacked in the past:cry: we like the fact that it is not actually linked to your bank account so there appears to be a safety cut-off if it's lost / nicked / cloned etc.
We've read quite a few reviews on the net, a great many of which seem to slag off similar cards from other companies due to poor service/back-up/acceptance abroad but the Thomas Cook one seems to have favourable reviews.

If we get one, it will be used in France & Spain this winter.

Anyone used one and had comments to make?

Ta :thumb:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
We have the Thomas Cook currency card and find it very useful. Ours is the Euro type.

Before we travel to Europe, whether it is in the camper or on a traditional hotel based holiday. we load the card up with money and off we go. We load it electronically with a direct link from our current account.

We have used it to pay for goods and services, just like a debit/credit card, we have also got money from the ATM's in various countries.

We are very pleased with ours and will renew it when it runs out in 2015.

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Personally I would go for the Halifax Clarity Credit card rather than a pre-paid card. The exchange rate you get is not weighted (unlike pre-paid cards) so you are charged the actual rate on the day. You can withdraw cash too and while you are charged interest on cash the 1.2% is likely to be less then the weighted rate of exchange with a pre-paid card.

All purchases are fully insured, you can view your bill online and setup a direct debit to clear in full every month.

Some more info on our experience here:
http://www.europebycamper.com/2012/06/halifax-clarity-vs-caxton-we-saved-over.html

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
We didn't have that one but the Coop Travel Card it worked well with no prob's, you can even check your Balance/Spending on line the Euros come off at the rate they went on at, we will be topping it up again in 2014 for Spain and Portugal. Pete :thumb:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
It's a Caxton card for us. Just load it as you wish with euros then use it exactly like your debit card at home - no charges, get cash from ATMs - no charges. Found customer care was helpful when needed and the only places not accepted was a few (not all) petrol pumps.

Wyn

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We have a postoffice credit card which we use to pay for as much as possible plus the visa cashpassport from tescos. Started using the cashpassports when the older 2 children were travelling, they could have a card but i had the master copy so could sort out problems and reload easily. You only used to be able to load them instore but the later ones you can load online. We also have a fairfx mastercard which is easy to load online.we havent used it as much but will now as the rate is better. If Martin Lewis recommends something I just can't help but get it.:Smile:

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Currency cards

We have used the Caxton card for several years now and we like it. Genially very good rates and they send alerts on special deals too.

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
used the thomas cook card last month in france . i didnt need to draw any cash out so there were no charges for using it. i was told by the girl in thomas cook that she had been told by a previous customer that they were not being accepted at the motorway toll booths though ! for campsites,fuel,supermarkets etc it was fine . there are charges to pay if you dont top it up or use it within 12 months of taking it out i believe, [no problem if you go away every year]or just close it and get back whatevers still on it . regards garry

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
It's a Caxton card for us. Just load it as you wish with euros then use it exactly like your debit card at home - no charges, get cash from ATMs - no charges. Found customer care was helpful when needed and the only places not accepted was a few (not all) petrol pumps.

Wyn

Same for us . We were worried at first that it may not work:Confused:.....but found it so easy to use and as Wyn says no charges apart from initial charge to load, a tenner if my memory is correct.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Don't phaff about.. Get Clarity

As posted previously on this thread......
Broken Link Removed

Just use a Halifax Clarity......... No fees, no commissions, good interbank rate....
No need to worry;
Did I put enough cash on it ...:shout:
Did I top up it at a "good" rate, hope it won't improve now.....:Sad:
Will it get accepted at unmanned fuel stations late at night or on a Sunday...:cry:
If I have an unexpected "crisis" is there enough on the FX/Caxton card to cover it. :Doh:

Halifax Clarity for us, worked now in 8 countries over the last 5 weeks (and many more over 2 years) including unmanned fuel stations.

Just looked at today's (19th Aug) Caxton € rate = 1.1460, Interbank rate = 1.1745
A difference of €0.0285 or approximately or almost 2.5%

Just checked my Clarity statement online, on fuel purchases in Spain on the 14th this month they applied a rate of 1.1645, the actual Interbank rate at the time was 1.1647, pretty close methinks...

So with Clarity, you do get a better rate, so could save approx £50 on a £2000 spend....... and no worries about preloading, being accepted at tolls and unmanned fuel stations, topping up whilst travelling, etc etc.

I pay it off in full each month, so I have not had to part with a penny yet for our tour, which started a month ago, so it's like an interest free loan, unlike prepay where they have your cash in their account before you spend it....:Doh:

In addition I used it in Morocco last month, again a great exchange rate...:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Very many thanks for all your replies and help, it really is much appreciated.
As time is of the essence and we still have a heck of a lot to do before we leave on Wednesday, I think we'll go for the Thomas Cook card for now but based on what so many of you guys have said, I think we'll be looking at the Caxton card for future years.

If we dont "speak" again, have a safe winter guys. 2 more get ups and we're off!
Can't wait!::bigsmile:

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
We have used a post office credit card on our trips abroad for the last 5 years for fuel and shooping, found it great never had a problem with it.
We set up a DD to pay it in full when used, exchange rates have always seemed fair:thumb:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We use Mytravelcash , no probs accepted everywhere we tried it plus just looked at my online account and see they have put in my £4.16 cash back on the things we have used it for, no charge for anything and 1% back! and topping up at 1.1422 today

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010

Wyn

Should have pointed out that even at automated pumps that declined the card it was accepted at their kiosk so unless the kiosk is closed it's still no problem.

Wyn

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Agree, Caxton works for us. However, disappointed that card is not accepted at any unmanned pumps. Confirmed by Caxton and will not change in future. something to do with third party pre-payment issue. I use my Visa debit card for unmanned pumps.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
We use Mytravelcash , no probs accepted everywhere we tried it plus just looked at my online account and see they have put in my £4.16 cash back on the things we have used it for, no charge for anything and 1% back! and[HI] topping up at 1.1422 [/HI]today

€1.1812 today with Halifax Clarity.......:thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We too have a Caxton card and use it just for cash withdrawals at ATM, we use our Nationwide credit card for all other transactions.

However, if we didn't have the Caxton, I would instead probably get one of the ICE cards instead as it is a bit more flexible in the sense that you don't have to top up with as much dosh each time and get 1% cashback, the only downside that I can see is to top it up you have to ring, whereas with the Caxton you can send a text.

https://www.caxtonfx.com/currency-cards/currency-cards-for-you/

Caxton's rate today is €1.153 = £1.00
ICE's rate today is €1.1524 = £1.00

Last edited:

Deleted User
Halifax clarity, Nationwide Flexicard for credit card payments at bank exchange rates with a months credit. If you want cash then it costs one way or another, prepaid cards have a lower exchange rate and they have your money, usually a charge of €1 for a cash transaction at an ATM abroad as well, unless things have changed recently.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Halifax clarity, Nationwide Flexicard for credit card payments at bank exchange rates with a months credit. If you want cash then it costs one way or another, prepaid cards have a lower exchange rate and they have your money, usually a charge of €1 for a cash transaction at an ATM abroad as well, unless things have changed recently.

We've had a Caxton card for a couple or so years and they do NOT make a charge for ATM withdrawals.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Caxton for me. Load in Sterling and use in Euros. You can check balance and top up from your mobile or online. They link your bank account and mobile so top up is almost instant. You can spend on it and withdraw cash.

I also went for the PO credit card and got 3 months interest free purchases and no usage fee or currency conversion charges.

Just to be a well organised I bought a French gas bottle from Intermarche for €1.:thumb:

Had a quick trip last year , did some research and got organised for this year.

Have a good one

Deleted User
We've had a Caxton card for a couple or so years and they do NOT make a charge for ATM withdrawals.

We have not used ours for a few years and they do not now make a charge BUT

"*Caxton FX does not charge a fee for international point of sale or international ATM transactions.[HI] However, some merchants or ATMs may do.[/HI]"

I prefer to keep my money in my bank and not Caxton's, the cost difference is minimal and it is not unknown for prepaid companies to fold.

I do appreciate that these cards can be topped up as and when needed, exchange rates fluctuate so you may win or you may lose.

You pays your money and takes your chance:Smile:

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
caxton for us, although the french peage won't accept it, also the the only problem i have with it is the minimum top up is 150euros.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back