Pre-paid € cards

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by JeanLuc, Aug 17, 2013.

1. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I know many Funsters have the Caxton Card and having just returned from 4 weeks away and totted up the transaction fees on our credit card we are tempted to get a pre-paid card. According to Money Saving Expert, the two best options are FairFX or CaxtonFX (the former tends to offer a better FX rate apparently).
    Before taking the plunge, I would be interested to know Funsters' experience. For instance, are the cards generally accepted at fuel stations? (Particularly the unmanned variety where the only way to fuel is with a card.) Fuel would probably be our main use as that is what the credit card gets used for most at present.
    I understand the benefit in terms of accessing cash from an ATM, but want to know whether the pre-paid cards are accepted by merchants as freely as standard credit cards. Most of our travelling is likely to be in France, Belgium, Germany, Holland and Italy, although we may venture further afield with more time available now.

Many thanks.

2. icantremember

icantremember Funster

We have the CaxtonFX cards which are great for normal chip &pin purchases but find they are often not accepted at auto tolls and unmanned fuel pumps .

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Caxton FX -- Mostly good but don't go without backup.

What is good on Caxton is Text Top Up. Send a text to Caxton, which has debit card details logged and you get a top up, or you can request a text of current balance.

4. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

We were looking at pre-paid options before our trip in May but got turned down for the Saga card we applied for. Other threads suggest the reason was we don't borrow money, so we went on our credit card but won't do that again. £1.50 plus a percentage of each transaction, even though we had euros and Swiss Francs, petrol, tolls, food all took their chunk on the card. :Angry:

5. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi
    We got a Co-op Prepaid card this year from our local travel agency, good card no probs. Pete :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  7. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

Used a Caxton card this year if France for the first time. No problems anywhere even at unmanned fuel stations in the mountains. After returning in July at least two hefty diesel purchases haven't been drawn on, yet.
    Speak as you find but it is ideal for us and it's nice not to be ripped off by the bank cards.

8. lorger

lorger Funster

Just back from our holidays and used Caxton card in 7 different countries with no problem. This is our second time abroad with it, we tend to top it up every now and again when the rate is good.

We also have one for the USA and encountered more problems there with some supermarkets not accepting it.

9. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Thanks all for the information. Particularly useful link from Techno100 to the CaxtonFX guidance page. I had not found that when researching earlier. Apparently not always a good idea to use it at unmanned fuel stations then!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

It is fine if you have plenty of funds pre loaded. The ring fencing of funds is the only problem but this is the same with all cards, you just don't notice.

11. pandj

pandj Funster Life Member

Looking into one of these, what exchange rate do they use, is it the bank rate, tourist rate or their own? can't see any reference to it on their site.

Paul

12. peter marshall

peter marshall

The thing with this card is the euros come off at the on rate and we used it all over Spain n France with no probs.

13. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

We use fairfx never had a problem anywhere with it .the rate you get is the rate you purchase for .We use ours in France mainly fuel.sites ect .I still have a good bit left from last year i took a chance when the euro was 1.25 to the pound and it has saved us a lot of money .highly recomended.

14. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

With my recent fiasco with Halifax Clarity (sorted now) I purchased (?) a FairFX card ready for out trip to France next month.

According to MoneySavingExpert it is now the 'top' cash card :Smile:

The order process was easy (online), I just bought £100 worth of Euros. If you do this through MoneySupermarket they waive the £9.99 joining fee :Smile:

15. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

The only conversion rate is when you load the card, so it will be the rate they offer you,

We used Thomas Cook prepaid card - this is Visa and was accepted. However I bank with Nationwide and their credit card does not charge for overseas transactions and they use the current exchange rate so we often found we got a better rate on our Credit card than we would have got if we had done a cash exchange.

Norman

16. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Just use a Halifax Clarity......... No fees, good rate.... Chocks (wye aye) has one too......:Wink:

No need to worry;

Did I put enough cash on it:Doh:
    Did I top up it at a "good" rate,:RollEyes: hope it won't improve now.....:cry:
    Will it get accepted at unmanned fuel stations late at night or on a Sunday...:Doh:
    If I have an unexpected "crisis" is there enough on the FX/Caxton card to cover it. :RollEyes:

Halifax Clarity for us, worked now in 8 countries over the last 5 weeks (and many more over 2 years) including unmanned fuel stations. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

:BigGrin:

17. BritStops

BritStops Trader BritStop Owner

The only place we couldn't use our Caxton cards in Europe this summer (we got one in Euros and one in pounds) was when shopping in Lidl, but then I think I'm right in saying you can only use cash in the UK Lidls too.

Steve :Smile:

18. tony_g

tony_g Funster

Yes

19. patch

patch Read Only Funster

Lidl let you use a debit card in UK :Smile:

20. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

They let you use credit cards and cash too.........:Wink::Wink:

Also the Lidl's in Europe do as well........:RollEyes::RollEyes:

:BigGrin: