Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Hi All
I believe they're called glow Bulbs? its the orange coil type light we wait to go out before starting he engine. I'm down in Portugal now but on the way down, when it gets cold it doesn't come on, the rest of the day it ok, but first thing in frost etc, there's no sign of it, I'm not too worried as I'm sticking to the coast now. so any ideas what woould cause this at low temps.
Thanks,
steph

OP
OP
stephsol
Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
It's a 2001 hyper B584 2.8 and it starts brilliantly every time? However the battery meter is out, it' works when plugged Iin to mains and the leisure battery side is still working well, could there be a connection ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It's a 2001 hyper B584 2.8 and it starts brilliantly every time? However the battery meter is out, it' works when plugged Iin to mains and the leisure battery side is still working well, could there be a connection ?
Now I'm confused.
If you mean the light on the dash to show the glow plugs are lit when starting from cold it has no connection to mains or hab battery.
The volt meter has nothing to do with glow plugs.

OP
OP
stephsol
Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Sorry ,too much info...the battery meters are on a panel above to back door. I thought it worth mentioning as both faults accured together. Glow plugs are a separate issue but thought there could be a connection, perhaps indicating issue with the battery?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
glow plugs are easy to test there should be a path to earth set mutli meter to continuity and one prong on plug top and one to earth(cylinderhead ) close to it and you will get a reading if they are ok

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi All
I believe they're called glow Bulbs? its the orange coil type light we wait to go out before starting he engine. I'm down in Portugal now but on the way down, when it gets cold it doesn't come on, the rest of the day it ok, but first thing in frost etc, there's no sign of it, I'm not too worried as I'm sticking to the coast now. so any ideas what woould cause this at low temps.
Thanks,
steph

Hi.. you indicate the light normally comes on and you wait for it to go out before starting... I think that's normal procedure... but agree it's strange that in cold it hasn't lit.. it would be normal for it to stay illuminated for longer in cold before going out..
So I agree it's odd but don't know why...
Don't know your engine type but direct injection diesels dont in fact need a glow plug to start.. it's only indirect injections that need a glow plug to get started... so it's possible your plugs are not working but your engine will still start... as mentioned above if plugs are easy enough to access they could be checked for continuity ,resistance and voltage to the system..
Not unknown for the plug relays to fail as well..
Andy.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
According to OBD fault codes I have 4 out of 6 not working on my Chrysler....but it still starts, just takes longer on cold mornings.
A Bugger to get at so as long as it starts it will stay as it is.

OP
OP
stephsol
Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Thanks guys, I'm useless with electricity so as it's starting ok, I'll get it looked at in May when I get back....or before...If it doesn't stop raining!

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Sounds like glow plugs have failed, considering the vehicle is coming up to 16yrs old that`s not surprising.
Oil changes can have a big effect on how long a glow plug lasts, I personally change my oil twice a year and have never suffered with the injectors or had glow plug problems.

OP
OP
stephsol
Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
They are working normally in this temperature, (over 10c) it's only in freezing temps that it doesn't show. Would this be an indication of failure ?

OP
OP
stephsol
Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
They are working normally in this temperature, (over 10c) it's only in freezing temps that it doesn't show. Would this be an indication of failure ?

OP
OP
stephsol
Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi .. I would say if you are sure they are working normally at t the temp you mention but don't appear to work at lower temp you may have a problem with the temp sensor circuit that determines when they switch on... just a guess..
The colder it is the longer the pre heat indicator light should stop on..
Andy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back