Prangs crashes and mishaps

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Jac Sprat, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Haha I thought I'd put this in the Beginners forum.....
    We are heading off in a few months time in hopefully a 24 footer hymer and I am totally new to motor homing driving. Feel a bit nervous about mishaps early on when I'm getting the hang of it.
    Dare I ask you old hands to recount your very early bloopers ? Hoping to learn from your mistakes basically (and maybe this'll stop the night terrors I'm having :)

2. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

where do I start might put you off so I wont tell you
    bill

• Like Like x 5
  3. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Yeh I thought people might think that but I'd honestly rather know. It's like expecting the worst won't be as bad as my imaginings!

4. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

o yes it will trust me:rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

O go on.... I just published my first blog entry on here. NOTHING is going to put us off!

6. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

I'm a control freak (ex teacher) I need to know what to expect haha.

• Like Like x 1
  7. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I drove nearly 3,000 miles around Spain last Autumn without mishap. Came home and clouted the gate post on the way in! £1,500 pounds poorer as a result. :(

• Like Like x 8
  8. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Expect the unexpected, that's the best you can manage. They had Zebras running through the streets of Brussels today. How do you prepare for that other than just driving cautiously?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Frentchy

Frentchy

It might be easier/quicker to describe the mishaps that haven't happened yet!! and as we are all "experts" here any experiences will be in the third person, ie I saw/heard of some one doing ....etc...:whistle:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Haha
    Reminds me of when I did a wide turn when we were living in America and I hit our road side mailbox which didn't budge but put a huge dent in our ford 8 seater van.
    (Afterwards learned that the previous house owner got so peed off with people knocking over his mailbox with a baseball bat that he dug a six foot hole and sunk the post into concrete!)

11. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

ok my first motor home parked at the post office to tax it I parked with the van at the end of yellow lines
    comes out of the post office nothing there but sum one had parked hard up to my bumper at the front
    put's van I to revers.
    cheks mirrors reverses right over a sports car brand new right up to his wind screen the van had a big tow bar I had made not a scratch on my van but the prat I had reversed over:crying:
    just happens that a police officer was there at the time witnessed the hole thing
    the guy pointing to his disabled badge witch turned out not to be his but his wife's who was not in the car I never herd any more abut that one
    bill

• Like Like x 6
  12. Bill_OR

Bill_OR Funster

Jac,
    One thing to watch out for is your overhang at the back. When you pull away from a kerb or just turn left or right, remember that your rear end will swing out the other way. So, for example, if you are at a road junction with 2 lanes and you are in the right rand lane to turn right, as you turn to the right your rear end will swing across the left hand lane so make sure there's no one there!

I managed to sideswipe a lamppost and now I always remember to check my left hand mirror for obstructions when turning!

• Like Like x 3
  13. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Expect the unexpected hmmm.....Our projected full timing life will be truly be a test of my control freakery

14. tofo

tofo Funster

Take your time your on olyday
    And don't be to PROUD to give way
    Let them tangle with the gap

Get SOMEONE to guide you back
    Using a slap on the back of the truck for STOP

• Like Like x 5
  15. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Happy Brewster that is one lucky prang!

16. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

I am fairly accident prone I must admit... I broke my shoulder doing a flip skiing three weeks ago.
    Three years ago I walked backwards (saying goodbye at a party on there) on the flat roof top of a ww2 bunker and fell down the narrow stairwell and pulverised three ribs! I have noticed since how many people walk backwards when they are saying goodbye!

17. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

We had three years of incident free motorhoming when renting, until the last. In a small village in Italy, an old gent reversed into the side of our van, in his somewhat beaten up Fiat Punto, suggesting this was not the first time he had bumped the car.
    We exchanged details, and he said, sorry but I didn't see you. Sadly I didn't know the Italian for "But I am 7 metres long and had been in a queue of stationary traffic behind you for about 5 minutes" so I simply bade him farewell.
    Later that same holiday, we got stuck in mud, and the army of burly men we recruited to push us out, bent and essentially wrote off the bike rack. So a bit of a disaster really.

Since owning our own motorhome, I have managed to open the habitation door in high wind and break the tie down. And after successfully negotiating the painfully narrow and low entrance to Woodyhyde camping in Corfe Castle without a scratch, then managed to reverse into a fence post while reversing onto the grey waste disposal. A helpful local pointed out that I had hit a fence post, which was nice :D

Only a small crack in the fibreglass so I am not stressing about it.

I am hoping this is the end of my run of dings and prangs, but who knows, it won't put me off any! :D

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Wow I hadn't even thought of people reversing into me!!

19. Mr Mousy

Mr Mousy Funster Life Member

First weekend away in our first motorhome (Nov 2013) had a lovely time, drove really carefully with our pride and joy.
    When we got home it was dark and I reversed into the neighbours brick wall.
    All fixed now and back together as if it was new thanks to an insurance claim of £3,000 as we needed a new rear and side panel for the moho plus repairs to the wall.

About a week later I had a speeding fine in the post, it was from our first weekend away in the motorhome!

You'll be fine just don't do what I did.

PS Only telling all of you this now as I sold the moho in January 2015 and bought another one.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Dont even go there!?!? have been written off twice, once when parked, another time someone came out a side road and wrote truck off:( then there are my own countless self inflicted missaps as well! Now I drive shortest narrowest van possible.....

• Like Like x 1