Praise for DVLA (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2012
Guildford
Funster No
MH
3litre Bessacarr 765
Exp
Restarted 2012
Hi All, as I'm 70 next week I thought I really ought to renew my Driving Licence with my over 3.5t entitlement retained. I made an appointment with 'Doctors on Wheels ' for the 15th October, sent the completed forms D2 and D4 away on Monday 17th and received my new licence back this morning, the 22nd. So happy Motor-Homing until October 2019!

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I had a similar experience 3 years ago, but this time I applied for my licence renewal on 24th April and I am still waiting.
I had contact from them last week informing me the documents were with the correct department.
Quote:
"I can confirm that the information we have received is with the relevant team waiting to be reviewed. I appreciate you have already been waiting some time and assure you that we will complete our enquiries as soon as we can."

Last previous contact with them was in June when they sent a form which asked exactly the same info as the D2 Medical form to be completed again by the doctor and optician with the same info in summary format. This was returned to them 2 days after I received it.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I had a similar experience 3 years ago, but this time I applied for my licence renewal on 24th April and I am still waiting.
I had contact from them last week informing me the documents were with the correct department.
Quote:
"I can confirm that the information we have received is with the relevant team waiting to be reviewed. I appreciate you have already been waiting some time and assure you that we will complete our enquiries as soon as we can."

Last previous contact with them was in June when they sent a form which asked exactly the same info as the D2 Medical form to be completed again by the doctor and optician with the same info in summary format. This was returned to them 2 days after I received it.
Think it is time to chase them up them !!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
ive been waiting since june, had the medical 9 weeks ago, had 3 letters saying its under review.:(:(:(:(

Sep 10, 2014
Nr Whitby north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax Solaris XL
Exp
dont have one yet
Sent mine away 10 Sept,two weeks later form arrives for me to fill in more medical info,sent back. Week later opticians form returned 'cant read the figures on the form', went back to optician who checked the figures and said 'they need their eyes testing if they cant read that', form sent back. Week later rang them and was told that they are writing to my doctor( who did the original medical) for more information. Still waiting.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Hi All, as I'm 70 next week I thought I really ought to renew my Driving Licence with my over 3.5t entitlement retained. I made an appointment with 'Doctors on Wheels ' for the 15th October, sent the completed forms D2 and D4 away on Monday 17th and received my new licence back this morning, the 22nd. So happy Motor-Homing until October 2019!
Sounds like you should buy a lottery ticket this week!:whistle:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Think it is time to chase them up them !!!
I did that last week Jaws. Their reply was the quote in post 2 in italics. I always try to get anything in writing when dealing with them and send everything tracked and signed for delivery.

There was a piece in The Times ("Fit to Drive" Thursday 20th October) and on BBC Radio about how DMG (Drivers Medical Group) a DVLA department were messing up renewals that involved medicals. A detailed study of complaints to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman reveals that lives have been put on hold for years and employment lost by flawed assessment processes. The BBC quoted they were ignoring doctors recommendations in a number of cases. DVLA is outsourced to CAPITA.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
Sent mine away 10 Sept,two weeks later form arrives for me to fill in more medical info,sent back. Week later opticians form returned 'cant read the figures on the form', went back to optician who checked the figures and said 'they need their eyes testing if they cant read that', form sent back. Week later rang them and was told that they are writing to my doctor( who did the original medical) for more information. Still waiting.
sounds same as mine, they write to all but then write again to confirm the first reply

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

Similar story here, my licence was revoked because I fainted. I sent the application for it to be restored on the first date it became eligible (I have not had another faint) and the forms were returned for the Dr to sign - she'd already signed it and in the correct box etc etc so I just sent it back. Now for the wait....... I hope they do restore my licence as getting lifts everywhere is becoming a real nuisance. No public transport here.

If I don't get a reply when the licence can be reinstated I will be chasing. If there is a refusal I will appeal as there is no medical reason for the refusal. If I had not told them about the faint they would never have known.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
If you haven't been revoked/refused for medical reasons you still can for up to 1 year while awaiting their decision.

Can I drive?

There is a provision in the law, under Section 88 of the Road Traffic Act, which could allow you to continue driving while your licence is being renewed, as long as you are able to satisfy all of the following criteria:

• DVLA is in receipt of a valid application, which is less than 1 year old
• you’ve held a GB/EU driving licence previously
• you’re not currently revoked/refused for medical reasons
• you’re not currently disqualified by a court
• you were not disqualified as a high risk offender on or after 1st June 2013
• you drive under the conditions of the licence applied for (e.g. provisional categories/entitlements, where a provisional licence was held)
• you would not be refused a licence for medical reasons

You can check the current medical standards of fitness to drive in our ‘
Assessing Fitness to Drive’ guide for medical practitioners. Your GP or consultant will be able to help you if necessary.

Please note: When driving outside the UK, Section 88 may not be accepted. Before you travel, check with the country’s Licensing Authority for advice on driving there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back