Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
Practicing Christiansen

I like to think I am. Don't go to church much. If ever. Don't stand and shout about it. What I do or give. But still think I am.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I'm sure no one will be offended.. straight enough question

I was brought up in a practicing Christian family.. and none come more strict than the Plymouth Brethren..

All my family, ants, uncle, grandparents were very active.. I was baptized when I was 14 .. and practised until I was about 21 ..

From the age of 17 I played guitar and sang in a Christian group.. we were well known in Church circles and played all over Scotland .. and down as far as Newcastle .. I still have two programs from concerts we played at.. one at Edinburgh Usher hall, the other in Newcastle..

My mum kept them all these years, I got them when she passed away in 1984

This was in the late 60s and I was an ardent Beatles fan.. had the Beatle cut hair, black polo neck, and of course Chelsea boots.. the other two band members were older and dressed more more conventional

So what I hear you ask.. well, we went out one evening to play at a Church in Greenock.. when we got there the preacher told us that he didn't want me to play because I had long hair and didn't were a suit and tie.. :RollEyes:

Well.. that was that.. the others played and I had to sit and watch.. I was so angry, but more confused .. what kind of God didn't like long hair.. did Jesus not have it.. ?

It was the end of the band.. and for me the end of the Brethren.. and I have never ever been back..

that was many years ago. I am not a Christian .. and do not believe in Christianity..

next question ? :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Revk

Free Member
Jul 19, 2012
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
swift Royale 630
Exp
practicing, still not reached perfection yet

As Methodist minister I like to think I am a practicing Christian, though I woulld prefer to describe myself as a follower of Jesus. At the moment I am in the middle of a three month sabbatical, I have spent five weeks in Germany with Christians there, in May I will be joining Christians in Carlisle as they work in their communities cleaning their environment and helping elderly etc to decorate their houses. In June it's back to leading worship and visiting and meetings in my 3 congregations.

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Practising Christians

Cathryn Bolt

Ummm......
I'm sitting in a chicken shack in Portugal and your question has really got me thinking.
Practising ... Do you ask this as in regularly go to church Ie every Sunday?
When we were living and working regularly at home I could answer yes
But are you asking practising as in following is what I understand a Christian life to be ?
Well I'd really really like to say yes with my head held high
but I too am still trying sooo hard to be a good Christian to me that simply means trusting in my God , treating my neighbour as I would wish to be treated. Caring for others and trying to live my life as well as I can .
Reading that back it sounds horridly pious but that's not what it's supposed to sound like:whatthe:
Basically I'd like to think I'm a practising Christian but I fail on a daily basis! However my faith is strong enough to know my God forgives me on a daily basis too:thumb:
Scotjimlad I agree with you God doesn't give a damn about the length of your hair !!! Unfortunately that Minister was a little misguided!:Doh:

I must add that MALCOLM was keen to ensure that this is not his opinion only mine . He is not a Christian. He believes in the power of good .. I keep telling him he's just put an extra "o" in it::bigsmile:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
LOL ! - I was brought up as a practising Methodist and as a child following a rehearsal for the Sunday School Anniversary I happened to tell my mother about something Mrs Blank had said, which I thought was a 'bit nasty' of her to say that to another lady. But I was only about 7-ish and didn't really know if it should be considered nasty, bearing in mind we were all not only in the church itself, but also, just in front of the altar. Plus this lady was a Chapel stalwart; you know on all the committees. did the flowers, all that malarkey.

My mother said two things - 1. not everyone even if they attend church regularly, is actually a Christian and 2. you don't even have to go to church in the first place, to be a Christian.

I was told to think about it. I did.

No I don't attend church regularly. Yes - I do believe in God and I try to be Christian.

(And my God must be the same one Cathryn knows, cos mine forgives me too! :ROFLMAO: To err is human, to forgive, Divine .......)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
You can't be very good at it if your still only practicing :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Not religious at all I was brought up with a chatolic dad and a Protestant mother who's both families where and still are very religious, so my parents where a great combination in Glasgow :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We have been brought up with the freedom of choice if we wanted to go to one or the other church that was fine we (my brother and I) chose none.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
My sisters and I were raised as good christians and forced to attend sunday school, the works. never really questioned it till I was a teenager when a friend committed suicide. his mum was catholic, his dad jewish but neither faith would hold a funeral service for him. from that day on I have seen the mainstream churches as being businesses and only interested in how much money they can make

then i did something crazy and went into a spiritualist church. totally different altogether and their sole purpose is to help people. ever since then i have been heavily involved as a practising spiritualist and am proud to help the church regularly.

i like the concept of christianity, i just dont like the people it attracts to the churches. no offence intended of course

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
i do believe that there is something else to go to when we depart this mortal coil.im not a practising christian but i do beleive there is a god.i think im a good person and try not to make a pratt of myself to often and where possible i try to help others and treat them as i would like to be treated.Jo has very strong beliefs but always keeps them to herself and never inflicts them on other people.being from the philippines family and freinds are the most important things in life.
brian and jo

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I was brought up Church of England, certainly believe in God and something beyond that which we know as life on earth. Was a chuchwarden for many years, but find the chuch of england teachings dont chime exactly with my feelings any more,(know what you mean about going to church doesnt make a christian or vice versa) but still go to services - moreso now I have started to travel. St Magnus Cathedral on Orkney for Easter Sunday was wonderful.

Abou Ben Adhem

Abou Ben Adhem (may his tribe increase!)
Awoke one night from a deep dream of peace,
And saw, within the moonlight in his room,
Making it rich, and like a lily in bloom,
An angel writing in a book of gold:—
Exceeding peace had made Ben Adhem bold,
And to the Presence in the room he said
"What writest thou?"—The vision raised its head,
And with a look made of all sweet accord,
Answered "The names of those who love the Lord."
"And is mine one?" said Abou. "Nay, not so,"
Replied the angel. Abou spoke more low,
But cheerly still, and said "I pray thee, then,
Write me as one that loves his fellow men."

The angel wrote, and vanished. The next night
It came again with a great wakening light,
And showed the names whom love of God had blessed,
And lo! Ben Adhem's name led all the rest.

James Henry Leigh Hunt

Last edited:

Followtheox

Free Member
Jul 26, 2011
banbury
Funster No
MH
Coach built Autotrail
Exp
2 years
Yes, Bev and I are Christians and hold regular fellowship
Group at our home. Anybody else going to new Wine
This year?

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Alternative view

I have no wish to denigrate or argue with any who have posted on this thread. I think it is a good thing that we are all able to think independently and make our own choices.
My parents both regarded themselves as Christians. My mother was a regular attender at the local C of E church whilst my father went only occasionally, normally at Christmas and possibly harvest thanksgiving. Both were nice people and I loved them. They encouraged me to think for myself.
For many years I was taken/sent to Sunday school. I accepted what I was taught at home, at church and state school, all had a Christian stand. It was many years later that I decided for myself that I was not a Christian and indeed had no wish to be one.
It wasn't that I disagreed with any of the practices of any of the Christian churches it was simply I realised I did/do not believe. I accept that there probably was a nice lad called Jessus who did good things, helping others who were in need and who did not have the wherewithal to cope by themselves. It isn't that where I had a problem.
For me it is much more fundamental. I just do not believe in God, that's any god. I do not accept the notion of any supreme being.
As a child I believed that God was all knowing and all powerful. Later I realised that I could never get my head round how such a being that knew the outcome in advance of all actions could stand aside and allow war and natural disasters to happen.
I am an atheist. I am comfortable with that. I hope others are comfortable with it also.

Oh yes I am also a member of Fun. See you at a meet soon.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Im good a practising but still a novice

Ohhh and to give you all a good laugh

I honestly and truthfully wanted to be a nun until I was all of 16 years old

then I discovered a person called Tony

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Pete's mum used to ask about the children (by which I mean her grandchildren) 'Has he/she been good?' and before anyone could answer that, she'd answer with a laugh, 'Well - as good as they know how to be, anyway!' and I suppose that's all we can strive for, isn't it?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Without wishing to offend anyone, just wondered if there were any practicing Christians in the motorhome community?
Cheers
Dai motorhome:Smile:

Are you a practicing Christian ?

Just wondering what prompted your question..

Was it Cameron describing Britain as a Christian country ?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I was brought up in a Christian (C of E) family and my brother is now a Deacon. I started to question the faith in my early teens when being prepared for confirmation and accepted the answers I was given then, but only or about 5 years or so.

For about the last 45 years I have classed myself as having no religion - but hopefully do live by a morality which could have come from the good parts of any religion or none.

As for Cameron describing Britain as a Christian country, he is absolutely right. We are, de facto, a Christian country by virtue of the C of E being part of the fabric of government but that does not preclude citizens of the UK having other faiths or none. Indeed, one of the strengths of the religious element of UK government is that it does not discriminate against people of other faiths or none.

Seeing the news, yesterday, about the letter from the British Humanist Association, it struck me that they (like many groups who make a loud noise) displayed a lack of confidence in their own position rather than anything else.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
My mother was religious and helped the local church, in that time I was christened and confirmed , was in the choir and part of the bell ringing team.
After I left school I drifted away from my contacts with the church but was married and had my children christened in the church.

I celebrate Christmas, Easter and remember the religious links of these "holidays" but do not attend church.
For me the principles of religion are worth following in the way we treat others.

What always surprises me is the number of anti church non christians who celebrate these events , they send cards , buy eggs , go to church weddings, christenings and funerals and even have time off at Christmas and Easter :RollEyes:
Flexible? :reel:

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
What always surprises me is the number of anti church non christians who celebrate these events , they send cards , buy eggs , go to church weddings, christenings and funerals and even have time off at Christmas and Easter :RollEyes:
Flexible? :reel:

I'm hooked..:winky:

with you all the way.. can't stand hypocrites..

the Church, (any church) is not a pick 'n mix counter... support or don't , I have no issue.. but don't cherry pick.

Did I get married in Church ..

1st time around.. yes.. I was a 'believer' and a practising church member
2nd time around.. No .. registry office... no prayers or hymns.

Did my kids get baptized .. NO , none of them (6)

Do we celebrate Christmas..? not religiously.. for me it's a mid winter festival.. invented by the pagans and hijacked by the Church ..

Funerals.. my own I want it to be secular.. no church, hymns or prayers for me thanks. but I may get overruled.. :roflmto:

You may sing.. I did it my way ! :winky:

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I was brought up as a catholic and accepted things I was taught until I became an adult. Eventually I began questioning things, having noticed how hypocritical some members of the church could be. I have also questioned some of the rules made by the church and their apparent condemnation of people.
I sill consider myself a Christian and still live by the principles of being kind to others and treating them as you wish to be treated and accepting that we do make mistakes but it doesn't make us bad people.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Fear God but be wary of men has always stood me in good stead as I have always needed all the help I can get :Cool:.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I was brought up in a Christian (C of E) family and my brother is now a Deacon. I started to question the faith in my early teens when being prepared for confirmation and accepted the answers I was given then, but only or about 5 years or so.

For about the last 45 years I have classed myself as having no religion - but hopefully do live by a morality which could have come from the good parts of any religion or none.

As for Cameron describing Britain as a Christian country, he is absolutely right. We are, de facto, a Christian country by virtue of the C of E being part of the fabric of government but that does not preclude citizens of the UK having other faiths or none. Indeed, one of the strengths of the religious element of UK government is that it does not discriminate against people of other faiths or none.

Seeing the news, yesterday, about the letter from the British Humanist Association, it struck me that they (like many groups who make a loud noise) displayed a lack of confidence in their own position rather than anything else.
Interesting, Being a humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead. Great values for life but how many will swear this on their death bed I wonder.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What always surprises me is the number of anti church non christians who celebrate these events

Simple, it's just a date on the calendar. A tradition. I have no idea of the significance of most of these days.

We can enjoy the Chinese New Year without being Chinese.

You are not Greek or subscribe to whatever ancient religion they had but you still use Thursday.

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I was brought up High Church Anglican and went to church regularly. Then two things happened.

I went to work for an organisation that had close ties with a major religion and soon became aware that the higher a person rose within the church the less saintly that person became. It was all about preserving assets and reputations and very little to do with anything else.

The second thing that happened was that I was diagnosed with a major illness and was unable to fully take part in communion. I was told that as I was unable to take communion I was no longer a full member of the church and could not vote or even express my thoughts or ideas.

At that point I stopped attending services although I do still go into churches (any denomination - it makes no difference) for deep peace and quiet reflection. Some would call this prayer. It doesn't have to be a church though, one can find this deep peace and reflection almost anywhere. I like churches and feeling the faith, hopes and fears of those people who previously passed that way.

My take on life is that I should do no harm. I'm not as good as I should be but I do try. Life is for living and should not be wasted on guilt once one has done as much as possible to mitigate any harm done unintentionally.

Gosh, aren't we getting serious?

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
My late Grand Mother was very Church of Wales and forced me to accompany her every Sunday. I think it put me off to be honest and I haven't been since I was about 12.

Churches make me feel uncomfortable and I don't know why.

Edit - I tell a lie I did have to go to church for I think 4 successive Sundays before I got married first time in about 1991. it was some sort of pre condition to a church wedding.

I seriously let myself down on church etiquette on the first occaision, mistaking prayer mats for cushions to make the pews more comfortable:Doh:

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Churches make me feel uncomfortable and I don't know why.

We like to visit the odd cathedral when on tour. I marvel at the engineering and the beauty and just what the real building cost must have been in those times. It amazes me, what effect it would have had hundreds of years ago on peasants used to wooden huts.

All based on myths and legends made up by a group of very clever people in Italy many years ago.

And today, there are many cathedrals in Brussels and Strasbourg built on myths and legends made up by a group of clever people very recently.

Farage, the Anti-Christ.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back