Practical Motorhome (Channel 212) (1 Viewer)

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
I've just watched Practical Motorhome on TV for the first time:imoutahere:I thought it was ok really.A couple of reviews,1 on a Chausson and 1 on a Hymer.Also a section featuring Diamond Dave aka Dave Newall ,a member of MHF :clap2:and also a site review.So I thought it was not too bad a programme really.But I've know doubt I will soon be corrected:moon2:
Brian & Jo

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
This is now series 3, all of series 1 and 2 are on YouTube just search for practical Motorhome and sit back for several hours of true entertainment from Diamond Dave, and yes I have seen them all more than once and I have no idea why my wife huffs before returning to looking at her IPad and constantly repeating the words Sad T**T under her breath every time I watch them.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Thanks for that. I will have to go to catch up thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I've just watched Practical Motorhome on TV for the first time:imoutahere:I thought it was ok really.A couple of reviews,1 on a Chausson and 1 on a Hymer.Also a section featuring Diamond Dave aka Dave Newall ,a member of MHF :clap2:and also a site review.So I thought it was not too bad a programme really.But I've know doubt I will soon be corrected:moon2:
Brian & Jo
I've watched and enjoyed them all since posting a reminder for members last month http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...utes-practical-motorhome.148312/#post-2248838 , but I didn't realise Diamond Dave was our Dave Newall. For want of a better phrase, it was good to see him in the flesh :D

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I like the programme but find that reviews of motorhomes only refer to the positive aspects of the ones under test. Very few motorhomes are perfect, size alone leads to compromises that may render Van unsuitable for some.

They may be worried that comments regarding a negative feature, such as a too small shower/toilet compartment, may lead to manufacturers refusing to provide test vehicles.

I would also like to see coverage of smaller, CL type sites, instead of the "all singing, all dancing" types usually shown.

However, it is still good to have any programme covering our way of life. If we were unlucky we could be involved with something like "Caravanner of the Year", which seems to be a vehicle for sneering and laughing at tuggers.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
They may be worried that comments regarding a negative feature, such as a too small shower/toilet compartment, may lead to manufacturers refusing to provide test vehicles..

Even worse when they sell a negative, as a positive !!

The presenter was saying how good it was being able to access the fuse panel from a nearside hatch on a Chausson, rather than fiddling around in a wardrobe.

Less fiddly agreed, but my first thought was that if an essential fuse blew while there was a gale blowing with horizontal rain, it's a pretty silly place to have delicate electrical access.

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
I enjoy watching it every week despite cringing at the appalling editing (cutting off mid-review, failing to refer to any form of bed recently etc.).

I much preferred Roadpro's Andy Harris and his quirky, but more critical reviews. Niall Hampton clearly has a sense of humour, but his presentation skills are in desperate need of improvement. Does everything have to be "very good indeed!", an expression he uses several times in every review!

It seems to be the fact that because it is operated by Practical Motorhome magazine, it results in it being afraid of being critical in an effective way. Diamond Dave's pieces are always good, useful and clear, (despite his being a Funster :rofl:).

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I think the presenters talk a load of rubbish when describing a motorhome probably never had a van

Joe

GreenHell

Free Member
Feb 11, 2014
Lancashire Riviera
Funster No
MH
Looking for a new one
Exp
2013-2015
I've watched some of the clips on YouTube.

The presenter does my head in. All of his reviews sound like they've been scripted by the manufacturer!

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
Have to admit that watching them with the volume turned down makes them even more informative :D

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
It's obvious that they favour their advertisers and won't say a bad word about their products. This makes the reviews no real use at all but at least you get a chance to look round the new vans coming out. Just treat it as a comic rather than a magazine type of show and try to guess the number of times Nial will say 'cracking', 'on trend' or 'very good indeed!' each episode. Minutes of fun for all the family!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Just watched the rapido review.
The reveiwer seemed to think that 300kg payload was great fora 4 berth with a huge garage and underfoor storage. Three average extra people are 225kg so add half a tank of water and there is nothing left for their stuff. Surely he should point this out.

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I say you can’t really review a product properly until you have tried it in the real world for yourself for a while.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We're tuning in just to watch Dave's @dave newell lvs videos. Lots of stuff you wanted to know but were afraid to ask (in case it made you look stupid!).
stupid.gif

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Why can't you do your own programme Dave? 30 minutes of really useful stuff instead of just a small slot.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I'm sure it will need more than one person asking but thanks for your positive input.

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back