Powerline and Unmanaged Desktop Switch (1 Viewer)

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Question for the techies.

I have a number of Poweline connections in the house, in the office I have 3, what I was wondering was, could I buy a Unmanaged Desktop Switch , see below and replace two of the Powerline with a Unmanaged Desktop Switch.

So the one powerline would be used to drive the Unmanaged Desktop Switch and then attach the PC's Printers camera's etc. Or am I wrong..

The Unmanaged Desktop Switch I am thinking of is..

So it would be...

Router> Powerline>......<Powerline < [5 devices]

Am I right in thinking that each port of the Unmanaged Desktop Switch. would have a different IP address?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
it depends on what you want to connect. in essence an unmanaged switch cannot identify addresses so you would have to manually assign them for each device. fit a router and allow DHCP and it will handle what you need with ease, by automatically assigning an address to each attached device

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've used a Netgear switch. I ran an ethernet cable to the switch, plugged it into one of the ports and added a printer, NAS and PC to the other ports. They all worked fine and each had its own IP address. Mine wasn't called "unmanaged" but it didn't need any management so I guess it was the same sort of thing. It was a Netgear FS608 and from the product description of the TP Link one it sounds as if it works in the same way. I would guess a managed switch would need IP addresses assigned manually.

I can't see why it wouldn't work over a powerline adaptor but haven't tried this but at less than £10.00 you can't go too wrong and you could always return it if you buy it on line - assuming it isn't coming from China - or flog it on flea-bay.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Hi. Assume that the power line units all talk to each other.
If so then yes you should be able to use 1 power line through a switch or hub to connect to several peripherals as you planned. (hubs not preferred as all Ethernet traffic is routed to all ports where as a switch only routes to the correct port)

Not sure what the bandwidth of the power line units are, so you will have to see if there is any drop in speed/performance.

This link to bt help on power line units may be a help.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14271/c/

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Right, that appears to answer my question…

Second question

I have 4 IP cameras on my network, some are wired and some are wireless, all require IP addresses. Should I use the same port for all the IP addresses? The default appears to be port 80? Or can I for example, use the following.
192.168.1.144 port 144
192.168.1.145 port 145
I am not up on the port issue, so any suggestions would be good..
I am hoping to reduce the amount of cables…
Currently I have on the network.
I desktop.
4 laptops, 3 windows 1 linux
Slingbox
4 cctv IP cameras
3 printers
1 mobile phone
1 tablet
1 Windows home server (streaming)

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Sorry for not replying earlier, away the weekend sadly not in the MH.
Ok, not up on port use either but would suspect that your correct and easiest way is to try it.
You can cascade/fan out connections using switches so for example 4 devices connected to a switch and 1 cat5 Ethernet out to another switch with 4 devices on it. Just need to watch out for bandwidth issues slowing things down.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back