Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Not a power tool but this set has got me out of trouble in tight places lots of times.

Attachments

• teng.jpg
    teng.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 32
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hired a router last time I fitted a worktop (and the jig) . Wouldnt cut one with a jigsaw again it was so easy with a much better finnish just need some planning. You need to cut in the direction where the blade cuts into the wood ,the rotation of the blade means one way the blade cuts into the wood the other out of the wood which spoils the finnish. Ask where you hire one also use a sharp blade.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I have too many power tools to choose an overall favourite but I do have favourites depending on what I'm doing. My most used tools are my Ryobi "one" system power tools that get lots of use and abuse, two 1/2" chuck drill/drivers, one right angled drill and a 400NM impact driver so far. Jigsaw is also Ryobi but 230V powered and its a cracker of a tool. At the moment one of my favourites is my Aldi small bench grinder with flex shaft attachment that is doing sterling work on port polishing the new head for the race car. The lathe comes into its own when its needed as does the TIG welding set, both of which will get some serious use over Christmas when I make the new inlet manifold for the racecar. When faced with stubborn wheel bearings the 30 Ton press becomes a favourite.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
I have too many power tools to choose an overall favourite but I do have favourites depending on what I'm doing. My most used tools are my Ryobi "one" system power tools that get lots of use and abuse, two 1/2" chuck drill/drivers, one right angled drill and a 400NM impact driver so far. Jigsaw is also Ryobi but 230V powered and its a cracker of a tool. At the moment one of my favourites is my Aldi small bench grinder with flex shaft attachment that is doing sterling work on port polishing the new head for the race car. The lathe comes into its own when its needed as does the TIG welding set, both of which will get some serious use over Christmas when I make the new inlet manifold for the racecar. When faced with stubborn wheel bearings the 30 Ton press becomes a favourite.
Sounds to me like a proper workshop, me jealous :xsmile:. Although I run CNC machines for a living so have access to some serious equipment, however you can't beat having your own workshop with all the man toys :xThumb:

OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
It is not fair to have a thread just about man tools, I'm not sexist so lets talk about handbags......I have a Stanley and a DeWalt one :xrofl:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Don't think you can cut a masons mitre corner joint with a handsaw

You can if you have been trained properly. Just like many can do logarithms/tangents etc; long hand.:)

I have always had tools for everything. 2 sets , one for work & a second set at home. Now got to the point of having a good clear out :xsad:

Sep 22, 2013
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Relay self-build
Exp
Trainee MH owner
On our self-build motorhome we used twenty-eight sheets of 8 * 4 material in a range of thicknesses and finishes. I cannot imagine doing something like that without my plunge saw. The cut quality was so good that mostly there was no need for additional trimming with a router. Achieving an accuracy of +/- 0.5mm required no great effort (but 40 years experience of using tools might have helped!)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I enjoy playing with my cnc mill and one of the turret lathes is fun, but my favorite is still the old ( 1947 ) Myford ML7 manual lathe
It is a proper little lathe that depends entirely on MY physical input ( and it is in the back garden not 10 miles away like the other stuff ! )

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Best tools for me are Radial Arm Saw, Compound Mitre Saw, Inverter Welder, Large Pillar Drill, 6 rechargeable drills, and Compressor to name but a few. Do not own a chain saw but use the one the son has. I must have spent tens of thousands over the years. As you may have worked out I am a handy sort of bloke. Have been Maintenance Electrical Engineer all my life.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Since getting the MH the most used tool has been the arc welder, just for making additional bits for it.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
None power tool but love using this.

Attachments

• WP_20151208_11_13_45_Pro[1].jpg
    WP_20151208_11_13_45_Pro[1].jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 40

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I do not think Drowne make them any more.. In fact I believe they now only do small stuff and not 'proper man stuff' at all :(

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Yet another vote for the chainsaw.
I was gutted when mine was stolen when a scrote burgled my shed. I had bought it In The USA where I had a couple of acres of red oak to play with.
Just bought a new Chinese chainsaw as I have a load of wood to cut up for the wood burning stove that will be in the new extension that will be built next year.
I finished building the log store yesterday.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
You haven't lived till you've split a couple of tons of wood up with one of these

forest-master-10-ton-log-splitter__2_.jpg

Would it not be cheaper and more environmentally friendly to burn the petrol on a fire instead of using it to power that beast ?

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Sounds to me like a proper workshop, me jealous :xsmile:. Although I run CNC machines for a living so have access to some serious equipment, however you can't beat having your own workshop with all the man toys :xThumb:

Yes it is a proper workshop and includes an eight tonne four poster lift (that's it in my avatar), there ain't many motorhomes I can't put up in the air. The tools list is very extensive and includes five 4.5 inch angle grinders, one 9" Makita 2KW angry grinder that's over 30 years old but a brutal weapon still, table saw, bandsaw, metal guillotine/folder/rolls, multiple circular saws, compound sliding mitre saw, 3 Evolution quick fold portable saw benches, routers etc, etc, etc. Plus of course too many thousands of pounds worth of hand tools. Its a big toy box.

D.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
For myself its the Makita palm sander ,fantastic when decorating ,skirting,frames,doors they are a breeze ,sanding was my pet hate but not anymore lol

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It is not fair to have a thread just about man tools, I'm not sexist so lets talk about handbags......I have a Stanley and a DeWalt one :xrofl:
Ahem ... not 'man' tools ... I certainly ain't no man! :p

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Yes it is a proper workshop and includes an eight tonne four poster lift (that's it in my avatar), there ain't many motorhomes I can't put up in the air. The tools list is very extensive and includes five 4.5 inch angle grinders, one 9" Makita 2KW angry grinder that's over 30 years old but a brutal weapon still, table saw, bandsaw, metal guillotine/folder/rolls, multiple circular saws, compound sliding mitre saw, 3 Evolution quick fold portable saw benches, routers etc, etc, etc. Plus of course too many thousands of pounds worth of hand tools. Its a big toy box.

D.

Now I am really jealous!!!!:censored:

My favourite is my pillar drill!

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I got a lot of satisfaction when I was 15 forming Granite, just using hand tools, lump hammer, chisels, points, 4cut 6 cut and 8 cut bush hammers.
I can still see Stones I made 60 years ago on various buildings around Falmouth and Penryn.
Totally different to when I worked in the Forestry felling Pine, the weapon of choice, a McCulluck 900mm

Now? got most of the "MAN" tools, no favourites! they are just tools that make life easier!

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Anybody want to buy my Harrison 11"swing bed, metricated , Lathe. I need to downsize my tool box, The mill, the Tig Welder Noo not that it is too useful, I have so many tools I cannot put a value on them,' HE WHO DIES WITH MOST TOOLS IS THE WINNER' Just pity the wife who must get rid of them afterwards and no idea of the value of them.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Anybody want to buy my Harrison 11"swing bed, metricated , Lathe. I need to downsize my tool box, The mill, the Tig Welder Noo not that it is too useful, I have so many tools I cannot put a value on them,' HE WHO DIES WITH MOST TOOLS IS THE WINNER' Just pity the wife who must get rid of them afterwards and no idea of the value of them.
I will ask a round, Any photos

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back