Power supply to charge 12v UPS battery

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Ridgeway, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

This one's a bit off topic/forum but I know there's some knowledgeable 12v people on here so thought it worth an ask.

I have some battery back units that i use in my aquarium system, these are 12v batteries just to give a few hours pump circulation. Now some how I've lost the PSU's for them, I can only assume they got thrown away in clean up campaign.....

Now checking on the manufacturers website they do a replacement that is 14.v 1.6a but no surprise it's very expensive so I'm looking for an alternative but and here's the question can I get away with using a 12v PSU instead of the 14.5v original ? I assume the 14.5v is for the same reason that car alternators give out much more that 12v so in my theory a 12v PSU would work but perhaps wouldn't get the battery to 100% of it's potential.

I have plenty of spare 12v PSU's so i can try it assuming it won't damage the battery ? the original replacements are £50 each :-(

2. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

You need 13.8v to maintain a 12v lead acid battery. Check the PSUs you have as you may find one with correct output. 12v wil not work.

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

If I understand correctly, you are looking for a charger that you leave permanently connected to the batteries ?

If so, I would use the 3 way smart battery charger that Lidl sometimes have on offer.. at around £14

4. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Yes this is correct although the charge socket is a 3.5mm jack plug socket so I'd have to adapt that although it does seem like a reasonable solution. So it looks like I need a 13.8v charger with 1.6a or more, cool.

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Are the UPS batteries lead acid or dry cell....ni-cad, NiMH etc ?

6. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Lead acid

• Like Like x 1
  7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Though i would ask....you never know.

8. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

I was pretty sure they were as they weigh around 20kgs each but I checked on the manufacturers website and they are described as that, but it was worth checking.

Think I get 2 of these battery chargers as described above and just solder on a jack plug