mickcope

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
Thinking about getting a Ring - 12v 40ah Power Pack with 300w Inverter from Halfords as back up power for the van

Has anyone had experience of these

cheers
Mick

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I bought a similar product from Aldi a few years ago, hoping it would work as an emergency starter and could be used for recharging items like the laptop to save the leisure battery.

I found that it wasn't powerful enough as a starter but did use is a few times for recharging the laptop - until I realised that it wasn't necessary as the solar panel was more than replacing any power I would use from the leisure battery.

These days the power pack stays in the garage at home and is used for inflating bike tyres and powering 12v appliances on the odd occasion needed.

At the price Halfords are charging I'd be investigating fitting a second permanent leisure battery, if you already have a solar panel, or putting the money towards a panel if you don't.

OP
OP
mickcope

mickcope

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
That is cracking ta.

I am drawn to initially an additional leisure batt and then maybe solar

How much should I budget for a decent solar system - two people in the van with quite a few toys

Ta

Mick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have an 80W panel which is adequate for our needs - blown air fan, water pump, LED lighting plus recharging of netbook/tablet/e-readers/phones as needed. Keeo our 89Ah battery topped up between February/March and September/October. Hardly watch TV these days and the set we have takes little current.

We had our panel fitted by Dave Newell when he did a special offer for Fun members in February. To have one fitted budget £300 to £400 but if you can do the work yourself probably about half that I think - others probably know prices better than I.

OP
OP
mickcope

mickcope

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
that is great help ta - seems like the way to go