Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
So I was right then...... The information yousupplied was wrong:winky:
What you were mimicking on the inverter wasn't the same because the information provided was wrong:Doh:

any how.. is not world war 3 you asked for advice and got it.

But the one thing you should take from this thread is that you should find yourself a good CLEAN method of charging your laptop on the move.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
been saying that from the start..

quasi sine wave inverters are also less efficient than a 12v power adapter.. also converting from 12vdc to 230vac then back again to 15-20 vdc is a nonsense and even less efficient.. :Doh:

They have improved over the years and are fine on most power equipment.. but won't operate electric tooth brush chargers and a few other bits of kit.. some micro waves won't run on them and electric clocks go slow.. washing machines won't run ether ..

If you must use then buy a quality unit such as from Sterling.. avoid cheap ones on ebay ..they may work out costly.

nice to see you posting.. :thumb:

Not always the case. My quasi sine wave inverter charges our toothbrushes (Braun) and operates our washing machine. I can't see why there would be any problem with running DC adaptors for electronics off one either as the output is then DC.

marjohn

Free Member
Jun 25, 2013
lowestoft
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
9 years
Hello lap top charger

I bought one of the 300w inverters from Lidl with the intention of using it to charge phones, laptops, etc. when off EHU. I've wired in a cigarette lighter socket direct off the battery which is fine for the phones and to run the inverter from. Problem I have is with the laptop. :cry: On normal 240v, i have a green charge indicator light and message saying battery xx% charging. With the inverter, the light is red, but same message. Don't want to risk damaging the lap top. Should I fork out for a pure or modified sine wave inverter? I am sure there is someone on here that can come up with the answer :thumb: Thanks.
i have a charger 12vto17v also 12and 230 volts it cost £60 I would like £25 plus postage it fits most laptops with adapters marjohn::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Well....... I now feel a right plonker! Do you ever wish you had never started a thread? It turns out that orange/red is charging, green is charged. :Doh::Doh::Doh: (Just as said!) Both on mains and inverter. In my defence(?) SWMBO said it was always green, probably because always plugged in! I use an old steam driven PC at home so don't have these problems! Thanks to everybody for their input, especially OddSocks for the link to the manual, etc. I never thought I was going to start World War 3! Will probably see some of you at Newbury, but think I'll keep my head down :Blush:

So I was right then...... The information yousupplied was wrong:winky:
What you were mimicking on the inverter wasn't the same because the information provided was wrong:Doh:

any how.. is not world war 3 you asked for advice and got it.

But the one thing you should take from this thread is that you should find yourself a good CLEAN method of charging your laptop on the move.

So, I was completely correct :Eeek:

Despite everyone questioning me, the info I gave was 100% accurate, and my description of the error being made was also absolutely right.

When will people ever learn? I might know bugger all about motor homes, but I know computers like the back of my hand. :thumb:

You are welcome. ::bigsmile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ninovan
Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
marjohn;1006601[HI said:
]i have a charger 12vto17v also 12and 230 volts it cost £60 I would like £25 plus postage it fits most laptops with adapters marjohn::bigsmile:

[/HI]
Thanks for the offer, but I need 19v. I've ordered a proper 12v transformer for it now so should be sorted :thumb:

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
[/HI]
Thanks for the offer, but I need 19v. I've ordered a proper 12v transformer for it now so should be sorted :thumb:

You didn't need to it was working perfectly well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Lidl inverters

I'm hoping they still have one left as OH saw the technician at the hospital today who confirmed that the model of medical equipment he needs does not require pure sine wave.

If they don't it will be fleabay or the big river.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back